Mike from Cape Town

Tell us about yourself, and find out more about our other members.
Harkus959
Shas'Saal

Mike from Cape Town

Post#1 » Oct 16 2017 03:32

Real first name:
Michael

Age and gender:
21, Male

Student

How did you get into wargaming?
My older brother bought the Battle for Macragge starter kit and convinced me to play it with him, he was marines, I took Tyranids.

How did you get into Tau?
As I said, my brother bought the Battle for Macragge starter set, and my first forays into 40K were as the Nids, but I only expanded my army with the then battleforce (8 stealers, 3 warriors, 1 carnifex, and 8 each of hormagaunts and termagants) to add to the handful of gaunts, stealers and spore mines in the kit. I've still got them somewhere.

It was seeing the Tau models in some promo brochures, as well as White Dwarf magazines I borrowed from someone who'd been into the game for longer that made me want to get into the high-tech army with floating tanks, jetpacks, and no unrelenting hatred for everything in the galaxy that wasn't them. The fluff in the mini-rulebook included in Macragge, and playing as the Tau in Dawn of War: Dark Crusade really cemented it for me, and I picked up the shiny and new Tau Battleforce back when the XV25 suits were still new.

Plus I didn't want to paint swarms of bugs.

What would be your second piece of advice (after "read the freakin' rules") to a new Tau player?
You're a shooty army. Enjoy that. But don't expect your shooting to be the devastating, earth sweeping scythe of death you might be expecting from the fluff or the way Tau weaponry is talked about in the lore. Its powerful, but it's not guaranteed to kill things dead, not without serious min maxing.

So, synergise, and have fun. For me I picked the Tau because they looked cool, and I liked their feel. Making an army that looks and feels "right" in terms of composition and fluff will always be more important to me than competitiveness.

What is your Tau colour scheme?
Blue and black armour plates, brown cloth, red accent colours with green and red for lights and lenses. I fiddled around a lot with the DoW army painter before settling on it, and I still haven't actually painted many of my models.

How did you find this site/the old site, and how long have you been a member?
Recently joined, but I've known about ATT for ages as an infrequent visitor. My gaming group is mostly my brother and a friend or two who play (both my regular opponents are marines) so I get a lot of my 40K interactions from the internet.

What are the origins of your ATT username?
The first ever battle report I read was White Dwarf 300, space marines vs orks. There was a techmarine called Harkus, and I guess 13 year old me liked how it sounded, cause it stuck. It's become my default online username/gamertag with the 959 being added when sites said "That username is unavailable" for plain Harkus.

Have you reviewed the ATT Membership & Forum Rules?
I have.

Where and how often do you usually play?
Generally at home, I like making terrain and doing conversions, so we've got a really nice array of scratch built terrain to work with, and my most frequent opponent is my brother, so it helps that we're both here anyway. Plus, food and coffee on hand is a plus, as well as not needing to transport anything.

Do you have any other armies, for 40K or another system?
Got a collection of nids that I mentioned earlier. Otherwise, nope. Too expensive.

What is your favourite and least favourite army to play against?
HAven't got a whole lot of variety for experience. Although I did have a few games against a guy playing Necrons that were... frustrating.

What is your best and worst 40K moment?
Best: Gun Drone killing a black templar's marshall in melee.
Worst: I dunno, losing a hammerhead on Turn One before it has a chance to fire? Or the common Tau woes of pouring an entire squad of rapid fire pulse rifles into a single character and inflincting double figures of wounds, only to watch them pass every single save?

What does/do your family/significant other/friends think about your 'funny toys'?
Brother plays with, no significant other currently (although they would have t be okay with my geeky interests if not share them), parents don't seem to have an opinion.

What are some of your other interests?
Reading, writing, hiking, PC gaming, board games, music.

Do you have any pets?
2 cats

What is your favourite band?
I suck at picking favourites. I really like Shinedown though.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Re: Mike from Cape Town

Post#2 » Oct 16 2017 06:12

Hi and welcome to "The Orbital" of ATT.

Thanks for giving us some insight into your background, I'm pretty much the same with Tau, I like the interaction of units to create larger benefits across the Cadre too.

That drone kill is brilliant. :D

- Tael.

Harkus959
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Oct 16 2017 06:44

Are we a full-on Ta'shiro or just a regular orbital station?

My gun-drones have a habit of getting lucky kills in CC, one of them took down a terminator in another match.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#4 » Oct 17 2017 04:05

Totally Ta'shiro, we even have Heavy Gun Drones for security purposes. ;)

Return to “Membership Profiles”