Hi from the UK

Tell us about yourself, and find out more about our other members.
Orion7
Shas'Saal

Hi from the UK

Post#1 » Oct 24 2017 06:16

Real first name: Chris

Age and gender: 28 m

How did you get into wargaming?
Most of my friends play 40k, and they recently got into Saga. I tried this, loved it, bought two armies and fancied trying getting more into wargaming

How did you get into Tau?
I liked the lore. I'd always seen 40k as being as spesh marines, orks, and loud yelling about an emperor. My friend lent me the main book and I had a read, getting more and more pessimistic about playing as I read all the human and alien factions. Then I saw tau and saw that at least one faction had hope. Then I saw a about how even their drones have self preservation protocols. Then I saw the enclaves where every life has value, yet isn't afraid to deal out the pain if threatened. Yep. Hope restored, I want to try these guys

What would be your second piece of advice (after "read the freakin' rules") to a new Tau player?
No idea, I've not even played my tiny army yet

What is your Tau colour scheme?
Red and white, far sight enclave colours. I've tried to minimise the number of etherials in my plans to keep largely lore compatible, with just one or two "defectors" in the red and white colours

How did you find this site/the old site, and how long have you been a member?
Google Search looking for how to play tau, and from today

What are the origins of your ATT username?
An old internet tag

Have you reviewed the ATT Membership & Forum Rules? yes

Where and how often do you usually play?
Not at all, yet

Do you have any other armies, for 40K or another system?
I have two Saga armies, a suicidal group of Norse Gaels and a highly interlocking combined arms force of Byzantines (another reason I was drawn to tau, I like interlocking unit buffs)

What is your favourite and least favourite army to play against?
Orks. See next question for why...

What is your best and worst 40K moment?
I'd last played 40k and 40k-like systems about a decade ago and hated it, thanks to my friend trying to teach me Gorka Morka. We spent 20 minutes locked in dice rolling, with not a single unit even slightly damaged. It just seemed dumb. But I hear the rules are better now

What does/do your family/significant other/friends think about your 'funny toys'?
My 40k friends find my "space weeaboo" hilarious, and my fiance just treats them as a good thing to me crafting and thus sane...

What are some of you other interests?
Medieval battle reenactment and living history
Jewellery making

Do you have any pets?
A budgie called Avis and a collection of tropical fish (cough another draw for tau...)

What is your favourite band?
Nightwish or possibly Lindsey Stirling (not really a band but shhh)

Limitations? You mean you don't want Fido the kroot hound as a character?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Hi from the UK

Post#2 » Oct 24 2017 07:50

Orion7 wrote:How did you get into Tau?
I liked the lore. I'd always seen 40k as being as spesh marines, orks, and loud yelling about an emperor. My friend lent me the main book and I had a read, getting more and more pessimistic about playing as I read all the human and alien factions. Then I saw tau and saw that at least one faction had hope. Then I saw a about how even their drones have self preservation protocols. Then I saw the enclaves where every life has value, yet isn't afraid to deal out the pain if threatened. Yep. Hope restored, I want to try these guys

For the Greater Good! Lots of people out there try to cram the Tau into the "grimdark" 40k universe, but we really are the faction of optimism and hope. One Tau might not be able to turn the tide but that doesn't mean their life doesn't have value! The galaxy sure does look great down the sight of a Pulse Rifle.

Return to “Membership Profiles”