namegiver

Tell us about yourself, and find out more about our other members.
namegiver
Shas

namegiver

Post#1 » Oct 28 2017 06:13

Real first name: Andy

Age and gender: 52-year-old male

How did you get into wargaming?

I started playing Avalon Hill's Rise and Decline of the 3rd Reich with friends back in middle school in the late '70s. Over the years we played our way through much of the Avalon Hill and SPI catalogs. I played a bit of Battletech in the late '80s but pretty much stopped wargaming until I picked up 3rd Ed. 40k soon after it released.

How did you get into Tau?

I took a break from playing 40k just prior to the 5th edition release. Getting back into the game with the 8th Edition renaissance, I wanted to play something different from the Imperial Fists I played in 3rd/4th Ed. I have a sizeable Ork force I collected but never played, and a smaller Tau force I originally bought for my son to play. I tried a few games with each, and while I enjoyed playing the Orks I enjoyed the tactical flexibility of the Tau much more.

What would be your second piece of advice (after "read the freakin' rules") to a new Tau player?

Watch a few battle reports on Youtube. StrikingScorpion82 and Miniwargaming both have fantastic Tau videos. Not only are they fun to watch, they're also pretty educational about the strengths and weakness of the armies.

What is your Tau colour scheme?

Aquamarine and black, with orange accents.

How did you find this site/the old site, and how long have you been a member?

I Googled 'tau tactics', and joined about a week ago.

What are the origins of your ATT username?

One of my favorite tabletop RPGs is Earthdawn. In that game, the sentient races are known as 'namegivers' since they're able to manipulate magic forces by naming. I'm sentient, barely, so I chose the username 'namegiver.'

Have you reviewed the ATT Membership & Forum Rules?

I have. FWIW I like signal, and dislike noise so they get two-thumbs-up from me.

Where and how often do you usually play?

I have a dedicated gaming room in my house. My friends and I play there weekly.

Do you have any other armies, for 40K or another system?

As I mentioned above, I have an Imperial Fist army and an Ork army (roughly 4000 points of each). The IF are mostly painted (a few recent additions aren't), the Orks are almost entirely unpainted.

As far as other systems go, I took a stab at Flames of War a while ago but it didn't stick.

What is your favourite and least favourite army to play against?

I enjoy playing against Eldar. They're fast, hit hard and have a lot of really cool units. They're also a very pretty army. Least favorite? Probably Necrons... they've got the worst attributes of Space Marines, and don't have the decency to stay dead when you've killed them.

What is your best and worst 40K moment?

Oh, I dunno... depends how you define best, I guess. Back in the day, I won Best Sportmanship and Best Overall at a couple of local RTTs but these days getting together with my friends for a game of 40k is hard to beat. Worst? Failing every charge with Orks a couple of weeks ago was pretty bad.

What does/do your family/significant other/friends think about your 'funny toys'?

My wife is a gamer, so she's totally fine with it -- she actually painted a significant number of my Imperial Fists. Both my kids are grown, but have armies (daughter has Harlequins, son has Adeptus Mechanicus) and play now and then. With the current popularity of eurogames and D&D, even coworkers aren't puzzled by it. Such times we live in!

What are some of you other interests?

I play RPGs weekly, and boardgames a couple of times a month. I used to be a pretty serious computer gamer (World of Warcraft, and single player RPGs mostly) but don't feel the pull so much anymore. I also enjoy reading and cooking.

Do you have any pets?

Dog (Shih Tzu) and cat (Dilute Calico American Shorthair). I'm also a marine reef aquarist, but without a tank right now; they're beautiful, but a lot of work and it's nice to take time off from them.

What is your favourite band?

I don't have a favorite. My musical tastes are all over the place. This past week I've been listening to Billy Gibbons, Volbeat, The Menzingers, The Jam, and Dirty Heads.

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Re: namegiver

Post#2 » Nov 10 2017 12:23

Just gotta say, mad props for the Earthdawn reference. That game is awesome.

namegiver
Shas

Post#3 » Nov 10 2017 12:58

QimRas wrote:Just gotta say, mad props for the Earthdawn reference. That game is awesome.

:biggrin: Yeah, ain't it though? Wish there was time to play all the games!

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Nov 10 2017 01:06

namegiver wrote:
QimRas wrote:Just gotta say, mad props for the Earthdawn reference. That game is awesome.

:biggrin: Yeah, ain't it though? Wish there was time to play all the games!

For sure! Outta curiosity, what discipline did you play as?

namegiver
Shas

Post#5 » Nov 10 2017 01:09

Any and all, ED is one of the games I run ;)

Return to “Membership Profiles”