New to Tau

Tell us about yourself, and find out more about our other members.
Matt
Shas

New to Tau

Post#1 » Jan 09 2018 11:08

Hi all,

Just got into Tau- and am looking to pick your brains for lists etc. Otherwise, I have a small marine army.

I’ve been in and out of the hobby since about the release of 3rd ed, but am more of a (very occasional) painter than a gamer, but I’m looking to change that.

Cheers

Matt

Edit: can somebody tell me why I can’t post threads, or even replies, in any other sub-forum? I’ve tried to find it in the forum rules etc, but came up empty-handed.

Gather
Shas

Re: New to Tau

Post#2 » Jan 09 2018 11:59

Depending on how much money you want to drop, a good place to start is with the T'au Rapid Insertion Battleforce or the T'au Start Collecting kit. They both give a good army at amazing value. Model wise, the Rapid Insertion Battleforce has more relevant models for T'au in 8th edition.

I assume you can't post threads/replies because this forum likes having people wait a day before they can post. It probably helps reduce spam bots and the like.

Matt
Shas

Post#3 » Jan 10 2018 02:22

A day in quarantine makes sense when you put it like that. I’m intending to get the rapid insertion force in the next couple of weeks, I just grabbed an optimised pathfinder squad the other day.

My intentions are to build my list around two y’vahras... but I might wait for the codex before putting down that much cash.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#4 » Jan 10 2018 03:16

Matt wrote:A day in quarantine makes sense when you put it like that.

Yeah, it's an anti-spam measure. It's surprisingly effective too, I only saw two spambot posts in all of 2017.

Matt wrote:I’m intending to get the rapid insertion force in the next couple of weeks, I just grabbed an optimised pathfinder squad the other day.

The Rapid Insertion Cadre is a great buy, and a really fantastic way to start a battlesuit-heavy army. Pathfinders are great too, but the Devilfish you might not use- it doesn't synergize too well with Pathfinders, as it's better to put combat infantry like Breachers in it.

Matt wrote:My intentions are to build my list around two y’vahras... but I might wait for the codex before putting down that much cash.

Well, that would be a very powerful list core! Definitely wait until the codex comes out though, Tau balance is a little messed up right now.

Gather
Shas

Post#5 » Jan 10 2018 05:36

In terms of weapon choices for the Pathfinders; just stick to regular Markerlights. While the Rail Rifle looks boss as heck, and the Ion Rifle is a cool weapon it is good to let them wait for your next set of Pathfinders.

Oh, when setting up your Devilfish do not glue on the Thrusters on the side. It makes transport that much harder and it doesn't really give much stability to the model.

Arka0415 wrote:The Rapid Insertion Cadre is a great buy, and a really fantastic way to start a battlesuit-heavy army. Pathfinders are great too, but the Devilfish you might not use- it doesn't synergize too well with Pathfinders, as it's better to put combat infantry like Breachers in it.

While it might go down as personal flavour but I much rather 11 Drones and a Fireblade over Breachers in the Devilfish. Best case scenario, you have 82 BS3+ S5 Shots (26 Carbines and 1 Burst Cannon) being thrown into a unit; very few things can recover from those numbers.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#6 » Jan 10 2018 06:14

Gather wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:The Rapid Insertion Cadre is a great buy, and a really fantastic way to start a battlesuit-heavy army. Pathfinders are great too, but the Devilfish you might not use- it doesn't synergize too well with Pathfinders, as it's better to put combat infantry like Breachers in it.

While it might go down as personal flavour but I much rather 11 Drones and a Fireblade over Breachers in the Devilfish. Best case scenario, you have 82 BS3+ S5 Shots (26 Carbines and 1 Burst Cannon) being thrown into a unit; very few things can recover from those numbers.

I've run that unit, and here's the thing- Gun Drones are totally viable without the Devilfish. 18" range isn't bad, and if you dump the Devilfsh you can just take 27 Gun Drones and a Fireblade, which puts out 109 Pulse shots, or 165 within 9", which is absolutely insane. Don't underestimate the 18" range of Gun Drones- they can absolutely get turn 1 shots off.

Also, remember that getting Gun Drones to BS3+ is really difficult, since you need both a Drone Controller and Markerlights.

Anyway, Breachers, on the other hand, must use a Devilfish, since their effective range is only 5-10". Now, I still don't like Breachers (and prefer "foot"-slogging Gun Drones), but if you absolutely had to put something in a Devilfish, I think it'd be Breachers.

Matt
Shas

Post#7 » Jan 11 2018 04:27

Hmmmm. Thanks guys, that’s an interesting discussion. Might need to think about dropping the fish for more pathfinders or xv8s.

Return to “Membership Profiles”