Tell us about yourself, and find out more about our other members.
realmanig
Shas

Post#1 » Jan 22 2018 01:40

Hey guys, realmanig here looking to learn some Tau tactics.

New player and ready to build my first army.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: New member

Post#2 » Jan 22 2018 02:00

Welcome to ATT! You've come to the right place! :biggrin:

Do you already have an army, or are you looking for the right models to buy first?

realmanig
Shas

Post#3 » Jan 22 2018 05:58

I have a starter Tau army.

12 Fire Warriors
2 Commanders
10 Pathfinder
6 Stealth Suits
1 Devilfish
12 Kroot
1 Cadre Fireblade
Bunch of drones

Looking for the step to take my game to the next level. I think the best way to play Tau right now is around 15-18 inch range so I'm looking to focus on mobility rather than gunlines.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#4 » Jan 22 2018 07:16

You certainly have the right models for that kind of list! Since you like mobility let's definitely include a Coldstar Commander alongside the auto-include Fusion Commander. Then a mechanized Fire Warrior unit, Stealthsuits, Kroot... honestly, everything in your army is good, and the list writes itself! Check this out:

-

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Coldstar Commander w/ High-Yield Burst Cannon, Missile Pod, Shield Generator, ATS (150)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
Troops - 6x Fire Warriors (48)
Troops - 5x Fire Warriors (40)
Troops - 10x Kroot Carnivores (60)
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon; 2x Gun Drones (127)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster, 2x Burst Cannons; 2x Gun Drones (117)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster, 2x Burst Cannons; 2x Gun Drones (117)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 2x Markerlights, 3x Ion Rifles (52)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)
Fast Attack - 4x Gun Drones (32)

Total: 1001 - Command Points: 7 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Outrider Detachment)

-

Fire Warriors and Fireblade go in the Devilfish, Stealthsuits and Kroot skirmish in the midfield, Pathfinders hold backfield objectives and use Markerlights, and the Commanders attack priority targets.

What do you think?
Last edited by Arka0415 on Jan 23 2018 01:07, edited 1 time in total.

realmanig
Shas

Post#5 » Jan 23 2018 12:30

I don't have a Coldstar but I do have 2 Fusion Commanders.

Is it not worth taking Cadre at 1K point level games?

How about scaling up to 1.5K? I'm thinking adding more Commanders, Fire Warriors and Pathfinders.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#6 » Jan 23 2018 01:05

realmanig wrote:I don't have a Coldstar but I do have 2 Fusion Commanders.

Is it not worth taking Cadre at 1K point level games?

How about scaling up to 1.5K? I'm thinking adding more Commanders, Fire Warriors and Pathfinders.

Ha, my mistake, I just forgot to write the Fireblade's entry into the list. I'll add the entry properly and switch the Coldstar to a Fusion Commander too. Here's the new list, and I'll correct the original list too.

-

HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
Troops - 10x Kroot Carnivores (60)
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Burst Cannon; 2x Gun Drones (127)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)

Total: 999 - Command Points: 7 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Outrider Detachment)

-

This list will do well against vehicles an light infantry, but the drawback is the lack of anti-elite weapons like Cyclic Ion Blasters. What do you think?

Also, bringing this list from 1000 to 1500 shouldn't be too hard. Are there models you own that you want to use, or will you be buying the new models? Also, do you want to play a battlesuit list, mechanized list, or something else?

realmanig
Shas

Post#7 » Jan 23 2018 03:22

Thanks, I'll give that list a try and see how I want to tweak my army.

People I usually face field 2-3 dreads + razorbacks so I think the Fusions should be fine. Would the 6 Stealth Suits with BC+ATS and markerlights be good enough for elite killing?

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#8 » Jan 23 2018 03:37

realmanig wrote:Thanks, I'll give that list a try and see how I want to tweak my army.

People I usually face field 2-3 dreads + razorbacks so I think the Fusions should be fine. Would the 6 Stealth Suits with BC+ATS and markerlights be good enough for elite killing?

Give it a go!

I think that, since you have Fusion Commanders, regular Burst Cannon Stealthsuits will be a solid answer to elites; you probably don't need the Fusion Blasters. You said they were assembled with the Fusion Blasters attached though, right?

At any rate, if you want points for the ATS, then drop the Fusion Blasters and free up 26 more points... maybe drop one of the Gun Drone squads? You'd go down to 6 CP, not 7, but 6 CP is plenty for a 1000-point list.

One thing that you may want to think about in the future is not using the Devilfish at 1000 points. As the only tank in your list it has a high likelihood of being destroyed on turn one, as it's the only target for anti-tank weapons. This is really getting into fine-tuning here but it's something to think about. Discussion was in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=27049

Return to “Membership Profiles”