3D print extra parts: Stormsurge, Riptide, Piranha, ...

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Re: 3D print extra parts: Stormsurge, Riptide, Piranha, ...

Post#181 » Sep 25 2017 12:07

Thanks. Magnet slots are to be provided once the parts would really need it (at the moment, they are just barrel replacers).
The problem with predrill magnets is the size and number to add: some (like me) use 3x1mm with (or without) a steel pin, others 3x2mm, others two 2x1mm, and I also saw once a 2x1x1mm option. Unless you drill also the other weapons the same way, only some similarly predrilled bits could be snapped.
In any case you still need the manual drill...

MikeMurdock wrote:man Kael'yn you been producing so much good stuff i'm trying my best to support your work while at the same time not burning all the money in my bank account. ,but now I am super tempted to buy another stealth suit team and give the commander of that team this weapon.

Thanks.
Take your time to fill your wallet. 3d printing is great also because parts are made on demand and there is no stock to deplete.
The FB also need some finishing work before being uploaded.
Last edited by Kael'yn on Sep 25 2017 05:09, edited 1 time in total.

PuppetMaster
Shas

Post#182 » Sep 25 2017 04:40

Kael'yn wrote:EDIT: I worked on an alternative Fusion Blaster, gatling style (inspired by a PM from PuppetMaster):

I know what will be in the hands of my commanders in due time!! :) Would it include the entire unit or just the blue section in the 3D print? How is the smoothness and detail compared to reference?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#183 » Sep 25 2017 04:49

Now that I think about it....if you'd make the gatling style fusion blaster Ghostkeel size then I'd definitely buy one. Maybe with some more polished design to make it a big suit worthy. Dunno, more of the energy source/munition/whatever it's called since it should need more than a regular Fusion Blaster.
The original Fusion Collider bit is as uninspired as its rules. Really dislike that option.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#184 » Sep 25 2017 05:03

PuppetMaster wrote:I know what will be in the hands of my commanders in due time!! :) Would it include the entire unit or just the blue section in the 3D print? How is the smoothness and detail compared to reference?

The grey part is the original fusion blaster body minus the 2 small boxes (assembly pins) on its sides. I do only barrels to keep coherency with Tau line (and save on price on the least important part).
Detail smoothness depends of the print material: close to plastic in HDA, a little more rough with crisp details in Frosted (but a thick paintjob and/or sanding hides easily the roughness)

Panzer wrote:Now that I think about it....if you'd make the gatling style fusion blaster Ghostkeel size then I'd definitely buy one. Maybe with some more polished design to make it a big suit worthy. Dunno, more of the energy source/munition/whatever it's called since it should need more than a regular Fusion Blaster.
The original Fusion Collider bit is as uninspired as its rules. Really dislike that option.

Upscaling could be easily done. Adding some details too. I will look into it.
Since the ammo canister of the FC has 6 ammos and the vanilla 3 muzzles, it looks fine (beware, this is just a basic upscaling and not a refined product !):

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#185 » Sep 30 2017 05:49

Superb updates, and great to see the community support :)

seeg
Shas'Saal

Post#186 » Oct 20 2017 08:43

hey all! Just wanna give some feedback on the stormsurge extra bits.

Firstly, I didn't paint or assemble it myself. It was done by a professional studio whose name I blacked out. (the colour scheme is quite out there but hopefully some ppl will like it)
Secondly, the feedback given was that it was extremely easy to work with and required only a little bit of tidying up.
Lastly, it looks freaking awesome :D

Thank you Kael'yn!!

Last edited by seeg on Oct 20 2017 08:11, edited 1 time in total.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#187 » Oct 20 2017 11:24

seeg wrote:hey all! Just wanna give some feedback on the stormsurge extra bits.

Firstly, I didn't paint or assemble it myself. It was done by a professional studio whose name I blacked out. (the colour scheme is quite out there but hopefully some ppl will like it)
Secondly, the feedback given was that it was extremely easy to work with and required only a little bit of tidying up.
Lastly, it looks freaking awesome :D

Thank you Kael'yn!!

Thanks for your input. Too bad your pic does not shows because of photobucket new $$$ policy.
If your studio is the one in 3 words that is located in Poland, I had already contacted them when they ordered the parts.

seeg
Shas'Saal

Post#188 » Oct 20 2017 08:17

Kael'yn wrote:Thanks for your input. Too bad your pic does not shows because of photobucket new $$$ policy.
If your studio is the one in 3 words that is located in Poland, I had already contacted them when they ordered the parts.

aww nuts.. lemme try flickr and see if that'll work
and yes, It is indeed 3 words and in Poland :D
they also showed the parts pre-assembled in one of their youtube video updates.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#189 » Oct 21 2017 01:41

Now the beast shows in all its glory !
If you agree to let me use pics, your model will be featured in my shapeways shop (I asked the studio to get their name shown).

seeg
Shas'Saal

Post#190 » Oct 21 2017 03:44

Kael'yn wrote:Now the beast shows in all its glory !
If you agree to let me use pics, your model will be featured in my shapeways shop (I asked the studio to get their name shown).

for sure man, go ahead! :biggrin:
they have a few more pictures in their main website's photo gallery too

i have to say, the only thing that stopped me from getting the Stormsurge eons earlier is cuz i thought the open-top cockpit was absolute garbage and utterly ridiculous. When i saw your shapeways shop with the cockpit cover i pretty much bought a Stormsurge model immediately. :D

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#191 » Oct 21 2017 04:45

seeg wrote:i have to say, the only thing that stopped me from getting the Stormsurge eons earlier is cuz i thought the open-top cockpit was absolute garbage and utterly ridiculous. When i saw your shapeways shop with the cockpit cover i pretty much bought a Stormsurge model immediately. :D

Do most people not like the open cockpit? I like the cockpit cover in this thread, but I think the open cockpit is cool too. It adds a kind of flavor not seen in almost any other model in the 40k range.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#192 » Oct 21 2017 04:59

I don't mind the open cockpit. I just don't like that they had to show us there are two pilots on a regular console controlling such a huge walker. Then again it doesn't have the battlesuit keyword so I guess it's that way for a reason. That being said, I would close the cockpit as well.

My main concern with the original Stormsurge is that I don't like it having no arms. Like, at all. Which is funny because I'm thinking about converting HYMP Broadsides to have no arms because I can't figure out how else to give them all those missiles while avoiding missile gloves.
For some reason I think no arms walker look less dumb on small models than it does on a huge walker like the Stormsurge. :D

seeg
Shas'Saal

Post#193 » Oct 21 2017 05:10

Arka0415 wrote:Do most people not like the open cockpit? I like the cockpit cover in this thread, but I think the open cockpit is cool too. It adds a kind of flavor not seen in almost any other model in the 40k range.

can only speak for myself and my play group when i said i found it very unappealing. we all think it's quite hilarious. hope i didnt offend any stormsurge-cockpit-lovers though :P

Panzer wrote:My main concern with the original Stormsurge is that I don't like it having no arms. Like, at all. Which is funny because I'm thinking about converting HYMP Broadsides to have no arms because I can't figure out how else to give them all those missiles while avoiding missile gloves.
For some reason I think no arms walker look less dumb on small models than it does on a huge walker like the Stormsurge. :D

i know exactly what you mean Panzer. I spent awhile thinking if i should do the no-arms look on my missle-sides too. Having no arms makes the stormsurge look really funky but like you pointed out, it somehow makes a lot more sense on a smaller model.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#194 » Oct 21 2017 06:55

Arka0415 wrote:Do most people not like the open cockpit? I like the cockpit cover in this thread, but I think the open cockpit is cool too. It adds a kind of flavor not seen in almost any other model in the 40k range.

It's nice to be in an universe where is no Wookie hijackers...
40k soldiers can feel the breeze when in metal pants ;)

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#195 » Oct 24 2017 12:36

Kael'yn wrote:Image
It's nice to be in an universe where is no Wookie hijackers...

That is the most compelling argument I've seen for the Stormsurge being open topped. Clearly the Earth Caste had proved the non-existence of Wookies, and decided all was fine :D

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#196 » Oct 25 2017 02:13

What a great finished result, and certainly one of the most interesting arguments I've heard for any open topped vehicle! :D

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#197 » Oct 27 2017 08:14

Thanks.

Since I got the clearance from Den of Imagination painting studio to link to the gallery where is the Stormsurge, here it is: http://www.denofimagination.com/gallery/59e70127be605f0004f9bbb7/59e70129be605f0004f9bbb8. They gave the parts a very nice paintjob.

No Wookies, but I wonder when GW will give us a furry army for 40k (Space wolves didn't count :P ) ? we have skin, chitin & metal bodies to paint, but no fur, scales or even stone or maybe pure energy. AoS has everything on a single planet (before blowing up).

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#198 » Nov 01 2017 07:21

Yeah I think the Wulfen are the closest we will get for awhile. :)

Beautiful results on your 3D work! :D

Return to “Modelling”