[Fio ATT Work] Tael's Workbench

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Shas'O T'Ar'Cha
Shas

Re: [Fio ATT Work] Tael's Workbench

Post#31 » Apr 29 2013 01:08

Tael wrote:For example, this was me trialling the Naga idea back in the day :

Where did you get those guns from?

Phineos
Fio

Post#32 » Apr 29 2013 03:28

Some strange symbiotic technology suits these aliens. I guess, that I was on the right track, or lets say that the dryads parts you used subconsciously put me onto the right way. Dryads are, after all, symbiotic forest spirits, which suggests that this model needs something comparable to the fantasy counterpart (and glowing eyes). Darn subconsciousness. ;)

Tael wrote:Essentially, not everything I do is a finished idea - it's just a progression - hence the new work log ;)

Of course, I just want to throw in my 2 cents and see what you think of them. If someone does not like my suggestions, I do not take it personel :)

I am curious how this turns out, so feed me with some pictures, or I'll die of visual deprivation :P

Oh, on a side note: If a Tau's face turns teal, doesn't that mean that said Tau is sick? ;)

Shas'O T'Ar'Cha wrote:Where did you get those guns from?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that the back part is from a IG lasgun and the front part is a Slugga form an Orkboy.

Phinn
Join the Cult of Smile

Tael
Fio'O

Post#33 » Apr 30 2013 08:50

Phineos is on the money there - I much prefer my Pulse Blasters now!

And that'll be enough Teal teasin' thank you :P

In hobby news I have been distracted by completing some 15mm sci fi, a genre that I've been slowly becoming enamoured with :

Fun in even smaller scale - enjoyed doing the scorch marks and energy glow. The markings are loud - because these guys are small. and it adds a certain tech aspect easily. I'll be doing similar markings on the walker next.

The mecha is from Reaper miniatures and the figures Khurasan Miniatures. I actually used weapons from a different 'CAV' kit and add the sensor tower and minigun chin turret, amongst aerial and a few other details.

More tau shortly,
Tael :)

El'mo
Shas'El

Post#34 » Apr 30 2013 08:57

Ahw, Mini-mes aren't they cute ;)

Seriously good work considering the scale and the OTT markings work well. The gem effects and plasma glow look great too.

More please.

Tael
Fio'O

Post#35 » May 03 2013 08:23

More indeed.. a lone Tau battlesuit. I've been reviewing and reviving my older work to have more gear - suggesting improvements over the years. Whilst I await some new recruits in really fancy suits. For now, this is just an update showing on suit that has been positioined to launching forward with fixed weapon hardpoints on the arms.

A few touch ups after refitting, then good to go play and slay.

I'll post up final images when the whole la'rua is completely upgraded.

- Tael. :)

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#36 » May 03 2013 08:31

The lone shas'ui rides again! "High-ho Crisis, Away!"

Phineos
Fio

Post#37 » May 04 2013 01:50

Tael wrote:And that'll be enough Teal teasin' thank you :P

Okay, I will stop it, before you kick my gluTEAL muscle. I will light a TEALight and relax a little. Although, the best thing I can do now is to take a sTEALth suit and sTEAL away … I can hear the Mantas coming :)

These 15 mm miniatures look great *cough*. Bad pun aside, they look really awesome. I especially like the lenses on the weapons and helmets.
If you like smaller scale miniatures, have you ever thought about starting Dropzone Commander from Hawk Games? The design of the miniatures is great, the rules seem to be very fast and not too complicated and the company offers printout terrain on their homepage, which looks really nice. I would start it, if someone of my buddies would go along.

The paintjob on the suit is very crisp. I like the black parts and the subtle OSL effect around the lens.
I see that you also have switched to barehoof Tau. I thought about doing the same after I saw it in the new codex, decided against it, since the hoofs on the Fire Warriors don't look so bare. After looking at your Shas'ui, I have to say that it looks great. Where does the head from the Shas'ui comes from?

Phinn
Join the Cult of Smile

warpaint overlord
Shas

Post#38 » May 12 2013 07:24

Is that another Beastman head[question mark]

PS question mark key broken :/

happy_spike
Shas'Ui

Post#39 » May 12 2013 08:13

(hold)ALT+063 on your number pad will give you the ? key (yes I typed that with the number pad code!). Just a helpful bit of info to use while your key is broken!

http://www.irongeek.com/alt-numpad-ascii-key-combos-and-chart.html

Tael
Fio'O

Post#40 » May 13 2013 05:17

Cheers Spike, and yes, the head on the Shas'ui is from the beastmen range, heavily shaved down.

It's meant to be a little comically large - I'm mimicking our very own Eiglepulper, so it has to have broad jaw line :D

Tael
Fio'O

Post#41 » Oct 19 2016 04:20

The workshop glows into being. Racks, spaces and parts lockers ping their content lists across integrated touch faces. The scent of metals, plastics and dull funk of a long shut room assault Tael's nasal folds as he steps in bold and full of purpose. New ventures to be explored and projects built.

"Ach - caffe dispenser." a palm covers his face and draws down slowly, finishing with an anguished grin.
The lights go out and Tael leaves.

A few moments later, the workshop glows into being. Racks, space and parts lockers ping their content lists while Tael pushes a new pech'caffe dispenser into place. The silicon feet skreeking across the study bench surface. Whincing but perservering, he settles it into a position he likes; then swipes the device on and to max shot level.

"Right, let's get stuck in." he mutters, sliding a finger across a forearm bracer.
A flight of maintenance drones and general cleaning units flit in behind and begin the work of readiying the space anew. Shuffling, waxing, vacuuming and spritzing of cleaning fluids abound.

Meanwhile Tael watches the temp readout climb, popping his lips in thought as he awaits his proferred mug to be filled. He spots a piece of packing film still stuck in the devices' seamline; it draws in his attention, picking at it and pulling it away carefully occupies much of his focus amidst a hive of activity.

A chime sounds, which keeps Tael's attention from the drones hovering in a line; proud children before their creator. Behind the gathered flock of artifical helpers is a gleaming work area .
"Perfect." the fio utters on feeling his mug begin to fill.
The gathered vesa exchange millisecond wifi glances and shrugs, furtively unsure if O'Tael has noted their efforts.

With practised poise and deft motions, he lifts the mug to his lips, savouring the scent and then the velvety bitter flavour with a slight cocoa overtone. His body lifts, eyes gain that modellers focus and his face tingles ever so slightly.

Drawing the mug down to chest height, Tael finally takes in the drones before him, nodding happily at their work. So much effort intiating a room these days. He draws another sip of the brew.

A near audible chittering of pleasure arises from the flock to be cut short as they note he is about to proclamate another statement.

"..I have an idea."

So, welcome back all.
It has been a long while since I updated this thread and I begin so, inspired by recent efforts of members and by finally getting my hands on new Tau plastic kits.

So I've begun work on Tau, I know, Shocker!

This group of models will be a strike team of individuals, kitted out in whatever they damn well please. Essentially think a group of monats brought together (and all the pyschological issues that entails) and given free reign across the plethora of Tau wargear.

Yeah, ..this should be fun.

So beginning from the first hooves on the ground, the Pathfinders, at this stage they're 90% done - small touches of greenstuff yet to go.

I've begun work on a veteran shas'vre who has a penchant for overcharging his Ion Cannon whenever the chance provides. He has taken greivous wounds to the left side of his body, losing a leg and eye to tyrannic bio-acid and maw. Ever since, his agreession levels have been off the chart.

More often than not, when spotting for the QRF team, he'll engage immediately with the Ion Cannon.

Overall the model is posed to be striding forward, his stance committed and the cannon aimed decisively. He's walking heavy firepower across whatever hapless xeno decided to cross his path that rotaa.

The Shadow Warrior cape is excellent due to the twin strap that rides over the cape - which allowed a convincing application of his 'backup' pulse rifle. I am yet to decide on what Aerial he will use.

Enter one aspect of my modelling ahead - I'll be using bionics; as I do not feel limb grafting at the frontlines or in far off operations as an immediately feasible occurence due to down time and recovery. Cybernetics provide a measure of simplicity and functionality that I imagine, a firewarrior would appreciate.

Pathfinder two. Almost a polar opposite. This warrior has a far more pensive pose. He is observing and clearly not showing intent to engage. Suffice to say, his cloak is pulled aside, ready for action.

I'll be adding another Pathfinder and then beginning to work through the Firewarriors proper. Then some stealth suits and finally a couple of battlesuits.

Should be fun indeed.

ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre

Post#42 » Oct 19 2016 04:46

Oh man Tael, those look fantastic!

Did those capes take much work to fit? I'm still a bit new to the Fantasy range of miniatures, and those fit perfectly. Also, props to you for being able to paint the miniature with all of those parts attached! I tend to leave my arms off for painting, and I might've had to leave the model off a base to get the insides of those capes :P .

Anyways, I look forward to seeing the personalization of the next set of miniatures too, especially the suits (I've actually thought about putting a sort of stowage on XV8s to drive home the image of up-scaled infantry, but I'm not sure if my execution would be very good).

Tael
Fio'O

Post#43 » Oct 19 2016 11:28

Cheers Arc :D

The Shadow Warrior cape on the Ion Cannon lad was exceedingly simple. The Outrider cape for the second guy took some trimming and shaving to fit just how I want it. Even still, will require some greenstuff additions.

As for painting, a couple of pieces are using bluetack to keep in place, because yes.. hard to reach places haha.

It is going to be fun working through a series of individuals. :)

Stowage on XV8's sounds intriguing and certainly an idea for LRDG themed models! :)

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#44 » Oct 20 2016 02:10

Love those! I might be stealing some of your ideas for my Killteam! :P
Lately my thoughts are all about my future Knights of Blood conversions so I had really no motivation to continue my Tau at all but I think that might change now that you directed my thoughts into the direction of Tau infantery conversions. Actually a pretty obvious thing but brains work weirdly sometimes. :D

Macknight
Shas'La

Post#45 » Oct 20 2016 02:24

That bionic conversion is a HR; the model is slightly elevated to be the squads sgt too. Looking forward to the rest of your KT.
For the greater good!

Onmyou
Fio'Ui

Post#46 » Oct 20 2016 03:53

This is where I regret having my pathfinders in the painting stage. It's amazing how you manage to give personality to models and it certainly confirms once more it was your work that made me start converting. Really makes me feel silly for wanting to push my models to get them done :roll:
Very good idea to give yourself that freedom of kitting them any way you want. I can imagine what joy you must be having. Glad to see you working on Tau again, can't wait for more!
Love your short story by the way!

Ironsky
Shas'La

Post#47 » Oct 20 2016 12:35

Excellent - more pictures of your bionics! Did you add any tech-bolt details to the leg? and is it wholly carved from a regular pathfinder leg? The extra groin armour is also a nice touch.

Eagerly awaiting more from this...

Tael
Fio'O

Post#48 » Oct 20 2016 01:16

Thanks guys, early start out - just minor details; as you figure Ironsky, I'll be putting in a couple of Tau 'cogs' in the knee for example. The groin armor really helps blend the leg with the warrior.

I modded the leg from a Necron peice, then added the new hooves with some shaving to make the less detailed. I'll have a couple more ready to start giving a better idea to the team going ahead.

- Tael :)

Return to “Modelling”