[How to] Magnetize a Riptide.

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Zenta
Shas'La
Shas'La

[How to] Magnetize a Riptide.

Post#1 » Jul 24 2013 06:33

Magnetizing my Riptide

So for some this will be old news. For others hopefully this will help you get your Riptide on the table!
And allow you to use ever available weapon option! Did a search for this on the site and couldn't find anything so hope this helps.

For my magnetization I used 3mm x 1.5mm and 4.75mm x 2 mm magnets. The Warstore Rare earth magnets.
Are the ones I used but anything the same size will work. There are a few of the mods that if the magnets are any bigger they will not fit. Any smaller and they may not hold well.

To be able to do a “Main Gun” weapon swap there are two smaller pieces that must be magnetized if you are going for the full effect. The first is the tubing this piece I used a 3mm magnet on only one side. The other side slips in place with out needing to be magnetized. This hole must be drilled perfectly centered and not to deep. I do let the magnet sit a little outside of flush with the piece. Here is what it looks like prior to final cleaning and priming.

The second is the small shield looking bit. It is used on both weapons as well. In the back on the Ion Accelerator and on the front of the Heavy Burst Cannon. Again I used the 3mm magnets. This time using the hole that is already there as a guide. I also didn't put this one down completely flush either because the piece doesn't fit that great into the receiving hole. The magnets on the receiving side are the same size and centered in the whole.

Next up was deciding how many magnets and what size did I need for the main weapons. I decided on two 3mm magnets. With the smaller magnets I had to make sure that they lined up properly. The Riptides arms and weapon gives perfect visual ques for placing the magnets.

On the arm there is a guide to help center the weapon on the arm. I used this and the seems to guide my magnet placement. Place the magnets directly on the seam and as close to the alignment block as you can. These magnets are placed flush.

Following the same guides on the weapons. I placed magnets on the center line and as close to the socket for the arm as possible.

Last edited by Zenta on Oct 01 2013 11:54, edited 2 times in total.
The fight for the greater good.
Zenta's Cadre WIP

Zenta
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: How to Magnetize a Riptide [Article Submission]

Post#2 » Jul 24 2013 06:34

The next magnets are purely because of how I have to move my model. Removing the large jet packs to make the model fit in my case was a must. Here I used the 4.75mm magnets the smaller ones just wouldn't hold. These are the hardest of the magnets to do on the model but in the end will be well worth it.

Lets start with the easy side. The jets themselves. The 4.75mm magnets fit perfectly into the space and still leave enough room for the all important Alignment Pin The magnets are strong enough to probably hold them up but with out the alignment pin hole they will never be stable. These magnets MUST be flush or it will be difficult to get the jet packs to lay flat. Here is a pick.

Now comes the hard side the engine side. On this side I ended up just using a hobby knife. The drill bit was just to large and might of damaged the alignment pin. You will have to trim some of the aligment pin off in order to get it to slip into the new hole. First thing you will want to do is trim the post flush but leave the alignment pin in place. Next you will have to trim the alignment pin to fit into the jet pack body. It isn't a lot but be careful here. You will then have to trim below the outer edge and remove more of the center large area. This is the trial and error part. Put the magnet on the jet pack. Trim some on the engine check the fit. If it doesn't go flush trim some more. Do this till you get a flush fit and it looks like this.

Last edited by Zenta on Oct 01 2013 11:36, edited 2 times in total.
Zenta's Cadre WIP

Zenta
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Jul 24 2013 06:34

For all your weapons and support systems magnetize them however you normally do your suits. As you can see from this photo I have 2mm magnets set up to accept any of the weapon or support systems.

I also have the same size magnets on the upper and lower side of the left arm. These are used for weapons if I want to show the support systems.

Last but not least The shield generator. This was done with 2mm magnets. Drilling holes in the center of the left arm. Clipping off the tab on the shield generator and drilling a whole for the magnet. At first I didn't think this was going to be enough but as you can see in the picture it works fairly well. If you slam your models around. You may want to go with the larger size.

Feel free to ask any questions. Or if you have any better ways of doing it please let me know. I am going to build a couple more.

So after a lot of painting. (still not 100%) I am really slow. I have the riptide to a point that I can show the magnets in action.

Enjoy

First shot is all the goodies put out in one big shot. Really like the way things are turning out.

Next up is the Ion accelerator and all the parts used in the magnetization.

Next is the Heavy Burst cannon using the same pieces that are used on the Ion accelerator.

And last the Shield generator.

Completed Model

Thanks and hope it helps.

10/1/2013 edit: Updated some pics for better focus.
Last edited by Zenta on Oct 01 2013 11:57, edited 6 times in total.
Zenta's Cadre WIP

Aun Tier
Por'Vre
Por'Vre

Post#4 » Jul 24 2013 07:17

Thank you for writing up these instructions, Zenta. I have noticed a couple of posts circling about lately asking for advice in this area, and so it is good to see a well-written and descriptive article to assist in the process. As for being an Article Submission, I don't know how that would quite work. Clearly, it is a well thought out post, however the Academy Articles are for Tactics, as opposed to modelling. The main critique I have is that some of the photo quality could be improved. I understand that some of the photos are very close-up (and my photo work is shoddy at best, so I'm not judging you), however there is plenty of room to improve. An exellent guide can be found here.

Personally, I've never magnetized any of my models (it's a wierd psychological aversion I have. Don't ask. :P ), but I'm glad to see a clear guide to the process for a Riptide. Well done.

EDIT: Apparently, I've been overruled on the photograph front. Ah well; that's what I get for prying my Por nose into a Fio's business. ;)
That last picture was out-of-focus, however. I still think that that one could use replacing.

Regards,
Por'ui Tier.
Last edited by Aun Tier on Jul 24 2013 07:28, edited 1 time in total.
Truth was flame against a sleeping lake of petrol.

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#5 » Jul 24 2013 07:20

Well laid out instructions, clear photographs, deserving of a Sticky in the Modelling Forum and, because of its probable universal appeal to Tau players, a place in the Official ATT Modelling Resource too.

Thank you for your effort on this, Zenta.

E.

Zenta
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: How to Magnetize a Riptide.

Post#6 » Jul 24 2013 07:31

I will get a better shot of the last one to replace it. One more in focus. The close up shots are so hard.

edit:

Will have to break out the good camera to get a good picture of it hanging. It was really only there for effect and to show the 3mm magnets work. Will update ASAP.
Zenta's Cadre WIP

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#7 » Jul 24 2013 07:44

Just take your time and maintain your standards. :)

E.

samuraioshovah
Shas

Post#8 » Jul 28 2013 10:54

Looks awesome, now I am considering getting 4....
Mobile Armor Division...71-12-11 2014 Season 14-4-3

Zenta
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » Aug 07 2013 04:22

Updated post to include pics of the model assembled. Showing how all the magnets work.
Zenta's Cadre WIP

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#10 » Aug 07 2013 06:38

Thank you for that, and the paint job looks like it is going to be excellent too. Well done.

E.

RevRanDoM
Por'O
Por'O

Post#11 » Aug 08 2013 11:59

Seconded on the paint job. Very smooth.

tripwire
Shas

Re: [How to] Magnetize a Riptide.

Post#12 » Dec 11 2013 06:37

I'm just starting my riptide now, and this is INSANELY helpful. Thank you SO much. great guide.

-trip

Plasma Storm
Shas

Post#13 » Apr 03 2016 03:56

Hey Zenta, great "How to". It is just what I was looking for and just in time as I recently got a riptide.

Any idea on how many magnets it took in the end to magnetize all those parts?
Through Plasma, Superiority

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Dec 16 2016 02:27

Great job on this. I magenetized my riptide partially and did a conversion on the jumpjets to make them look like wings, sadly never occured to me to magnetize that. Carrying him around would be simpler if I had...

Zenta
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#15 » Dec 19 2016 08:53

Sorry to all who have posted. I have been out of the game for a while and my ATT stuff has been going to spam. Found one this morning. Will make sure to check back in for questions. Glad everyone is still able to use it.
Zenta's Cadre WIP

Kilazar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#16 » Aug 09 2017 04:19

All images are not showing die to host account lapse.

Return to “Modelling”