Broadside Conversion- Brute Head and Magnetized Gun

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Deet
Shas'La

Broadside Conversion- Brute Head and Magnetized Gun

Post#1 » Jan 27 2014 10:33

Hey there, ATT. Been a while since I posted. Thought I'd show off what I've been working on.

Bought my first real Broadside suits over the holidays and decided I needed to get to building one finally. My two problems with the (much improved) Broadside model were the awful tiny pin head, and the difficult to swap weapons. I'm a sucker for magnetizing- you may think there's only one viable weapon to build on today, but who knows what GW will do to the future codexes and completely change things up? Better to be prepared for anything.

First off, the head.

I spent a lot of time toying with the options in the box. I took all 3 head options and snipped off the little neck mound and then tried fitting them together in interesting ways. What I was really looking for was something that felt more fitting for this big brute holding down the back of our battle line. In the end, I took the two "normal" squarish heads and glued them together bottom to bottom, one forward, one back with a slight forward offset, giving him a bit of an underbite.

I'm pretty thrilled with how it came out. Much more brutish and appropriate than that tiny thing.

Next up was the gun. Using K'tano's brilliant thread as a starting point, I wanted to be able to swap out the guns. I won't retype all of his thread- you can just click on it yourself. This picks up where that great idea finished, and you should have something that looks like this:

Just don't glue that HYMP front on! Drill out some magnets in both sides- you know the drill (*rimshot*). The Rail Rifle needed somethhing to put the magnets in to, so I cut out a piece of styrene (plasticard) and glued it on the end of the barrels. Unfortunately, this looked a little clunky- just interrupted all the detail.

I needed something to cover up that blocky junction. I decided it needed a sheath to cover it up. Fortunately for me, I have access to a laser cutter, but anyone with basic skills could do something pretty similar minus the vent holes on top.

Here's what the assembled Broadside is looking like mid-painting. You can see I added a small screw detail on the side of the sheath to break up the flat space. That's just an MSG modelling part, but you could deck it out with anything from your bits box. I'll post up glory shots on my project log once it's all finished.

Any thoughts on further improvements? Hope you all enjoy. Feel free to comment- I've got another box ready to open up!
~Deet

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui

Re: Broadside Conversion- Brute Head and Magnetized Gun

Post#2 » Jan 28 2014 03:34

The funny thing is that his head looks like it's leaning back. I can almost imagine him saying, "say whaaaat!?"

Deet
Shas'La

Post#3 » Jan 28 2014 11:45

yeah- it's actually not glued on yet. I haven't painted the lens or done the sept markings on it yet, so it's just plunked on there. Kept moving around while I was trying to shoot it.

El'mo
Shas'El

Post#4 » Jan 28 2014 12:55

That head is a great idea. Have you removed the lens assembly from the lower helmet as it is now facing to the rear?

The orange looks fantastic and I like your minimal battle damage look on the lower half of the model.

Deet
Shas'La

Post#5 » Jan 28 2014 01:01

No, haven't removed it. Everything on the back is just painted black for now. It doesn't stand out as a lens when it's matte black. I'll post pics of the back when it's done.

K'tano
Shas

Post#6 » Jan 28 2014 07:12

Nice Work Deet, especially with regards to the sheath for covering the join... good thinking that. And I'm glad I was able to provide some inspiration. :)
He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how

OnAgainOffAgain
Shas

Post#7 » Jan 31 2014 09:14

I magnetized the arms an entirely different way. What I did was that I magnetized the models at the shoulder joints. For the ball joint, I simply replaced the entire ball with a buckyball, and used a power drill to hollow out a slight indent so that it could be glued on properly. For the arm shoulder joints... a 3 mm magnet fits very well into the hole in the shoulder joint of the HYMP arms and with slight drilling into the HRR arms. And for the railgun, I used two additional magnets on the left elbow joint, to make a flexible hinge that makes it easier for the model to snap together.

As for how I came up with the buckyball idea? Well... when I was trying to magnetize them... I looked at the models themselves, and wondered how I was going to magnetize them, before deciding to do a size comparison between the buckyball and ball joint. They're the exact same diameter! You can also order a booster pack of buckyballs, which saves one the hassle of ordering a full 6x6x6 cube of them. And it works quite well, save that it isn't exactly easy to pose the arms. Still, if you prefer the HYMP look, this is a good way to go.

O'Shaska
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Jan 31 2014 11:10

That's a fantastic look! I too noticed the "say what?!" look his head appears to be giving. Perhaps if you tipped the bottom "jaw" in the same white that you used for the top, it would bring the two pieces together and give it a more whole appearance. Just my two cents. Wish I'd seen this when I put my broadsides together :P
Unity is a rock against the tides of conflict.

Deet
Shas'La

Post#9 » Jan 31 2014 11:42

O'Shaska wrote:I too noticed the "say what?!" look

Hmm. I'm not seeing it, but two of you have noticed it independently. I wonder if it's because the body is leaning back a fair bit (balancing for the weight of the big gun) and it makes him look startled? Looks better in the bottom pic, no? That's closer to how I glued him. Almost done painting. Will post him up soon.

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Jan 31 2014 11:52

It's because the head gives the impression of a long neck, leaning back. Imagine if someone posted something absolutely horrible on the internet and you saw it, causing you to lurch and lean your head back away from the screen.

It's the displacement of the head backwards, coupled with the diagonal separation from the body, that gives this impression...

Return to “Modelling”