Phe'nyx Task Force

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Drannen
Shas

Re: Phe'nyx Task Force

Post#19 » Jun 18 2015 07:23

The shoulderpads are forearm guards off a larger style toy if memory serves right. the pose is meant for less of a FIRE ALL THE GUNS! pose, and more for a "hey, you! you cant get away from phased plasma freedom even behind that building!" look. Moving it around the corner of a building with that flamer at 28mm eye level is an awesome looking scene. I did kind of leave the Ion cannon hanging becuase I get so much more utility out of the Flamer than the cannon. Way more T/MEQ than vehicles in my area.

Now:
Good Day commanders, Find attached a briefing on three new units that have become available to the Phe'nyx Orbital Station Armoury:

XV-25-3-9 Shas O’Run’al Nan (hidden blade)

Once a student of O’shaserra, O’run’al is stationed on the Phe’nyx Kor’shuto in command of one of the orbital’s small insertion strike forces. Though a keen student of Shadowsun’s tactics in large scale engagements, O’Run’al shows a tendency for violent personal engagements.

Many times on High Echelon reduction missions, O’Run’al has been both commended for the swift, and complete execution of his team’s mission, and reprimanded for the perceived risks taken by the commander by closing to physical combat with targets that may have been eliminated via more standoff measures.

Through the semi-hostile contact that exists between the Phe’nyx orbital, and the nearest Farsight enclaves, O’run’al has procured the violent, and unstable, technology of the xv8 class fusion blades armament. The Aun of the Orbital do not know what O’Run’al has used in exchange for this technology, but the results are nonetheless effective.

Despite the best efforts of the Orbital’s most skilled Fio, the energy draw needed to sustain the full effect of the FE technology was too great for the current class of XV25 battlesuits to sustain for any length of time. In a twist of luck, during the miniaturization of the Fusion Blades to fit the XV25 chassis it was determined that, through the use of some exceedingly rare and expensive materials, the basic functionality of the Fusion blades utilized by the Enclaves could be maintained for an operational timespan, albeit at a reduced capacity for ranged combat.

Retrofitted, and now classed as an XV25-3-9, O’Run’al’s battlesuit was retrofitted with enhanced jetpack thrusters to propel the fierce commander into hand to hand combat with the enemy when the onboard stealth systems fail to conceal him, or aid in the culminating strike of a long, and soon successful, hunt.
Experimental statistics in attachment ATT001

XV-25-8 Bombard Class stealthsuit

Produced in very limited numbers by the Fio of the Phe’nyx Orbital, the XV25-8 class stealthsuit was designed as a “heavy” support unit for inserted small teams of stealthsuits, Pathfinders, and fire warriors.
The primary battlefield role of these units is to proceed to stationary cover, from where the can provide indirect covering fire for other infiltrating elements, or eliminate heavy infantry where lighter elements are unable to.

Equipped with a Battlesuit class Airbursting Fragmentation Projector, and a fearsome Cyclic Ion Blaster, this suit is very heavily outfitted for a Stealthsuit class battlesuit. As a result, this suit’s jetpack is essentially useless for all but stabilization and first insertion tasks, unless the pilot chooses to jettison (and Destroy) one of its heavy weapon choices.

Prototypically equipped with as-yet experimental weaponry, this class of battlesuit is rarely seen outside of O’Run’al’s small Hunter Cadre.
Experimental statistics in attachment ATT002

XV-25-9

Even the strike teams of the orbital can be outflanked and trapped on occasion. Even more of a risk during the close confines of clearing space debris of pernicious life forms like tyranids or orks, this battlesuit variant was designed to deal with close ranged-high risk environments.

This suit variant is exceedingly rare, and the pilots of such suits are treated with great honor and respect within the Orbital, and not without a little bit of uncertainty by others of the Orbital about their sanity. It has been rumored that the pilots of these suits are chosen from those Shas who show a hint of the Mont’au.

Massing the same as a standard XV25 stealthsuit, this variant has had its jetpack removed, and an external stealth field generator, and flamer powerpack installed in its place.

Counter to the Tau’s typical preference to retreat before heavy offense, this suit is often tactically used to hold a critical position against heavy attack when retreat, however temporary, is not an acceptable outcome. This Gue’vesa-esque tactic of holding the line until death or victory is one of the prime reasons why this Battlesuit variant has such a dark reputation within the empire.

A quite effective tactic for this suit employed by kill teams from the Phe’nyx orbital is to have this suit rush into points of combat where friendly Tau forces are in danger of being overwhelmed, and providing a short, albeit crucial, respite for the beleaguered unit to regroup, or retreat in extremis.

Obviously designed to stand up to everything from chittering hordes or hormugaunts to the raging fury of an Ork boss’ Poweklaw, This suit is outfitted with dual shield generators, a stealthsuit adapted Battlesuit class flamer, and an underslung defensive pulse carbine.
Experimental statistics in attachment ATT003

Until next time, Tau'va

DiMu
Shas

Post#20 » Jun 19 2015 07:17

Hey Drannen!

Your work look wonderful! You additions to the Y'Vahra are perfect to me, the flechette dischargers are a really good realization of what the rules state. If it's ok for you I'll steal some of those concepts to apply them to my models...
Cheers from a passionated Tau mini's customizer :P

Have fun

Co'da
Shas

Post#21 » Jun 19 2015 05:20

Hiddenblade (and the rest of those stealthsuits) are stunning. Very menacing machine you wouldn't want to see decloaking in front of you in a dark corridor!

Drannen
Shas

Post#22 » Jul 18 2015 07:43

Thanks Co'da, With the HOR kill Team Rules, I actually have an avenue to play him in a game under a published ruleset too!

Good day commanders,

After recently engaging in more small force organiation actions (HoR kill team), The Phe’nyx Kor’shuto has discovered a critical lack in its available personnel.

Being a space based platform, battlesuits and vehicles are the primary forces available to this Orbital’s commanders. This leaves a gaping hole where a force of small, elite force of highly mobile forces should occupy.

In recent combat, Pathfinder Shas’ui Highsight lamented that his elite squad were routed, and forced to retreat in face of a Chas space marine patrol because of is squad’s lack of mobility, and the superior armor of the tainted marines which allowed them to shrug off many direct hits from pulse rounds. Shas’ui Highsight pleaded with the Kor’shuto’s Aun leadership for support in aiding non-battlesuited infantry in dealing with this problem.

Due to the considerable distance between Phe’nyx and the Vespid Homeworld, our alien allies are unsuitable for use in this role. The ruling Aun have decreed that the Fio of the orbital should endeavor to replicate the capabilities of our allies while using only the Shas, and technologies that we have available to us here in space.

After diligent months of toil (about 2 weeks real time), the Fio have created a comprehensive infantry loadout that adequately replicates the capabilities of our vespid allies. (Heavy inspiration from Tael and his xv-05. I now also would love to incorporate elements from mech-enclave's rotary pulse gun concept.) Equipped with the first generation orbital strike packs (made mainly from crisis flamers), this Pathfinder team can now match any vespid in a building-hopping, congested battlespace. Through the development of simultaneous fire, and ignoring the corresponding reduction in operational lifespan, the Fio have managed to replicate the armor piercing quality of a vespid round, without requiring their unique “tuning” apparatus.

Shas’ui Highsight has a modified rail rifle which, while reducing his range of fire, allows him to use his second generation prototype orbital strike jumppack.

In light of him taking a wound in combat with a CSM bike captain in his last active engagement on foot, Shas’ui Highsight has vowed that he should never be caught with only the butt of his carbine to fight off a 7 foot armored hulk. Upon return to active service upon the Kor’shuto, Highsight requisitioned a special issue Kodachi for the next time when a blade is more needed than a rifle.

Once again, I want to thank Tael, and mech-enclave for their xv-05 projects which inspired this one. And if you haven’t played a game of HOR kill team, go do it! Then use the same table as the centerpiece for a 1500 point battle!
Until Next Time Tau’va!

Drannen
Shas

Post#23 » Sep 28 2016 04:32

Good Day Commanders

Today I have a powerful new ally in the battle for the Greater Good.
Comments or critiques?

One Typo - Pulse blast array s/ap
6/2 5/5 4/-

PDF For Full Rules
https://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/09/28/tau-datasheet-prototypes/
Last edited by Drannen on Sep 29 2016 08:40, edited 1 time in total.

Macknight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#24 » Sep 28 2016 06:18

Drannen wrote:Good Day Commanders

Comments or critiques?

PDF For Full Rules

Why are you posting this instead of entering in the yearly competition?
For the greater good!

Drannen
Shas

Post#25 » Sep 28 2016 06:57

Primarily because this started before that contest started.

materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#26 » Sep 29 2016 01:29

Drannen wrote:Good Day Commanders

Comments or critiques?

One Typo - Pulse blast array s/ap
6/2 5/5 4/-

PDF For Full Rules

Initial thoughts about your rules...
Not sure why a unit of 3 stealth-suits cost 100 points when each stealth suit costs 30 points? Also, I assume that the pulse blaster array replaces the burst cannon? The way you have it worded now, stealth suits come stock with a burst cannon and can buy an additional weapon? That is a crazy big buff.

Your commander has a really odd stat-line. A generic commander has one higher WS and Attack even though as described in your fluff your character operates in situations that are much more likely to get him involved in CC. It's odd that he'd be significantly worse than an average commander in that situation.

He also has one less wound, which surprised me. I guess that's for balance purposes? Or is it because the Y'vahra riptide has 1 less wound than a regular riptide?

Another thing that is initially confused me is that most named characters in the tau codex have a non-modifiable load-out. The fact that he's got a spiffy weapon implied to me that he has a non-modifiable loadout. It wasn't until I read through everything again that I noticed you could buy more weapons.

I would put "stealth" and "shrouded" in the description of the prototype battlesuit not under special rules. That's where it's located for actual stealth suits and it confused me when I read the battlesuit rules because it wasn't there (and I expected it to be). Also, it's really weird that you say the suit is based on the Y'vahra suit, when that suits whole gig was flying around the battlefield alpha striking stuff. Your suit's rules are for a rather immobile stealth suit closer to a ghostkeel. The gun is obviously based on the y'vahra gun, but the suit itself doesn't seem to be.

Your Shas'vre has BS 4. Shas'vre's basic stat-line is BS 3. This change isn't really in line with the rest of the Tau Codex.

For the phased ion flamer, I'd just keep the get's hot as a normal roll of 1. It'll just streamline the rules a little bit.

From a balance perspective...
The Pulse Blaster Array also seems to be a tad bit under costed. For 17 points less than a Crisis Suit with 2x Plasma the stealth team gets the same amount of AP2 shots. It is an incredibly risky weapon to be sure, but my gut says it be fairer at AP3 or 5pts more. Maybe it's balanced out in that stealth suits are kinda meh compared to other things, but that upgrade seems pretty auto-take to me.

Rra'Suam costs 140 points (including a plasma rifle). Comparing him to shadowsun, who he costs just slightly more than. You get +1 T, worse CC stats, a Str 6 AP 3, heavy 2 flamer instead of a split-firing melta gun, and a randomized warlord trait. He's much, much better at chewing through MEQ, and she's better at hitting tanks. Randomized warlord trait is much worse than the auto-3d6. He is also needs markerlight support to avoid gets hot rolls. So I'd say he's pretty fairly costed leaning a bit towards under costed.

After writing all that I just noticed his flamer was torrent. That takes the weapon from good, to crazy stupid broken. Seriously, torrent is an obscenely strong ability. Enemies can deploy around a regular flamer weapon with proper spacing and whatnot. You can't properly space against a torrent weapon. It takes his flamer from needing a no-scatter deepstrike roll or basically needing to be within 1" of an enemy unit to do serious damage, to just needing to be within 5" of a MEQ squad to almost completely wipe it out. God help anyone playing on multi-level ruins or even just standing within 10" of a board edge out you outflank onto. I've played with a Y'vahra before and that thing is horrifying slaughter bot and you basically strapped its gun onto a crisis suit. Gets Hot on a 1 or 2 balances that out a little, but he only needs 1 markerlight to completely ignore the roll of 1 since he'll have BS6. The gets hot just makes him really swingy, where he either kills everything in a 6" radius, or fails two gets hot rolls and dies to an immediate assault. This results in a frustrating situation where either your or your opponent is getting screwed by dice, not really a balanced unit.

As for his shas'vre form, take all my previously mentioned statements about the torrent flamer of doom and then note that for 3 points more than a base Crisis Shas'vre with 2x Plasma, your shas'vre gets stealth, shrouded, infiltrate, defensive grenades, and +1 BS. It looks like you can't take him without a stealth suit squad though? Might balance him out in needing 60 points of "sub-optimal" stealth suits.

Overall Thoughts
Very very pretty commander. I really like all the conversion work on him with the ghostkeel's head (and shoulders?) and spiffy backpack. Pretty par for the coarse fluff. Badass stealth commander who has a cool suit and gun. Kinda like darkstrider in a crisis suit. I'd be be willing to throw down against him at least once as I like challenges and narrative battles, but I can see him being extremely overbearing against more casual opponents. Personally I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot poll in my meta, but my opponents sometimes struggle against one HBC riptide, so that isn't saying much.

[edit]: Just looked at the rest of the thread. You've got some super sweet poses and conversion work going on here. Keep up the good stuff!

[edit2]: If you're looking to make his battlesuit feel more Y'vahra-ish, maybe let it move like a Jump Infantry every other turn? Have to let his body guard do that too probably. Have to make the whole unit more expensive too.
----- Akul Contingent -----
Engagement Results 54-18-8

Drannen
Shas

Post#27 » Sep 30 2016 12:02

Thanks for the feedback, This kind of response is why I posted it.

Now,pardon the long post, I am going to respond to that post point for point. You pointed out a lot of things that I didn't notice when I was throwing numbers on paper.

I have never played this guy yet, but I hope to this weekend.
Which means that all the below statements may change.

Initial thoughts about your rules...
Not sure why a unit of 3 stealth-suits cost 100 points when each stealth suit costs 30 points? Also, I assume that the pulse blaster array replaces the burst cannon? The way you have it worded now, stealth suits come stock with a burst cannon and can buy an additional weapon? That is a crazy big buff.
Your Interpretation is right. Weapons replace Burst cannons. Will have to edit that.
They cost more, like the XV-8 bodyguard squads for Sworn Protector, and the ability to customize their loadout. 6 xv25-2's with missile pods could be an unholy headache. Likewise with a full squad infiltrating and Fusion Blasting multiple tanks into oblivion turn 1.

Your commander has a really odd stat-line. A generic commander has one higher WS and Attack even though as described in your fluff your character operates in situations that are much more likely to get him involved in CC. It's odd that he'd be significantly worse than an average commander in that situation.

I did just toss his stats together out of stealth suit stats, so maybe a bit weaker than standard commanders. I did it primarily to balance his nasty gun. I could change it to closer match a stock commander, I just saw him as being younger than other commanders, and not as versed in CC. May change and add cost

He also has one less wound, which surprised me. I guess that's for balance purposes? Or is it because the Y'vahra riptide has 1 less wound than a regular riptide?

Primarily Balance. I think that a 2+ cover model with a superflamer should have some drawbacks. The risk of a Gets Hot on 1or2 on 3 wounds makes you think twice about popping Overcharged every Turn. 32% chance of at least 1 coming up each dice roll.

Another thing that is initially confused me is that most named characters in the tau codex have a non-modifiable load-out. The fact that he's got a spiffy weapon implied to me that he has a non-modifiable loadout. It wasn't until I read through everything again that I noticed you could buy more weapons.

That is all fluff, and personal choice. I prefer a bit of customization to my Tau. May not be entirely balanced, but fits, I think because of the SpecOps nature of this guy.

I would put "stealth" and "shrouded" in the description of the prototype battlesuit not under special rules. That's where it's located for actual stealth suits and it confused me when I read the battlesuit rules because it wasn't there (and I expected it to be). Also, it's really weird that you say the suit is based on the Y'vahra suit, when that suits whole gig was flying around the battlefield alpha striking stuff. Your suit's rules are for a rather immobile stealth suit closer to a ghostkeel. The gun is obviously based on the y'vahra gun, but the suit itself doesn't seem to be.

Stealth and Shrouded come in on Shadowsun's special rules as well. I was trying to match the Codex entry closely
Only the Weapon was based on the Y'vahra. While still manufactured in Kel'shan, Shas'o Rra'Saum's suit was primarily a stealth suit.

Your Shas'vre has BS 4. Shas'vre's basic stat-line is BS 3. This change isn't really in line with the rest of the Tau Codex.
I agree, May change this. just wanted to set him far apart from most stealth shas'vres

For the phased ion flamer, I'd just keep the get's hot as a normal roll of 1. It'll just streamline the rules a little bit.

From a balance perspective...
The Pulse Blaster Array also seems to be a tad bit under costed. For 17 points less than a Crisis Suit with 2x Plasma the stealth team gets the same amount of AP2 shots. It is an incredibly risky weapon to be sure, but my gut says it be fairer at AP3 or 5pts more. Maybe it's balanced out in that stealth suits are kinda meh compared to other things, but that upgrade seems pretty auto-take to me.

I agree that is is basically an auto-take if you have a Shas'vre, even though it is risky. Once and done. risk is the loss of 100+pts of stealth suits for a single blast of 4 shots. Great at mopping up Marine squads, risky at shooting Spawn or Wraiths.
It does stop you from taking Rra-Saum as the Shas'vre instead.
And yes, it should be AP3 - as per the pulse blaster from the fire warriors.

Rra'Suam costs 140 points (including a plasma rifle). Comparing him to shadowsun, who he costs just slightly more than. You get +1 T, worse CC stats, a Str 6 AP 3, heavy 2 flamer instead of a split-firing melta gun, and a randomized warlord trait. He's much, much better at chewing through MEQ, and she's better at hitting tanks. Randomized warlord trait is much worse than the auto-3d6. He is also needs markerlight support to avoid gets hot rolls. So I'd say he's pretty fairly costed leaning a bit towards under costed.

Gets Hots for flamers are not helped by Markerlights, only by Twin-linking. I'd need a commander with the CCN to give him Twin-linked.
He will still suffer a wound from a Gets Hot roll on his Overcharged flamer 64% of the time. 32% for two wounds and losing his shots. He is most reliable (sans 2nd weapon) at slaughtering Fire warrior equivalents/genestealers/dark eldar.

After writing all that I just noticed his flamer was torrent. That takes the weapon from good, to crazy stupid broken. Seriously, torrent is an obscenely strong ability. Enemies can deploy around a regular flamer weapon with proper spacing and whatnot. You can't properly space against a torrent weapon. It takes his flamer from needing a no-scatter deepstrike roll or basically needing to be within 1" of an enemy unit to do serious damage, to just needing to be within 5" of a MEQ squad to almost completely wipe it out. God help anyone playing on multi-level ruins or even just standing within 10" of a board edge out you outflank onto. I've played with a Y'vahra before and that thing is horrifying slaughter bot and you basically strapped its gun onto a crisis suit. Gets Hot on a 1 or 2 balances that out a little, but he only needs 1 markerlight to completely ignore the roll of 1 since he'll have BS6. The gets hot just makes him really swingy, where he either kills everything in a 6" radius, or fails two gets hot rolls and dies to an immediate assault. This results in a frustrating situation where either your or your opponent is getting screwed by dice, not really a balanced unit.

I agree that the Torrent 6" is very very strong, which is what distinguishes him as a viable alternative HQ choice. And again, Gets hot on flamers ignores BS rerolls.

As for his shas'vre form, take all my previously mentioned statements about the torrent flamer of doom and then note that for 3 points more than a base Crisis Shas'vre with 2x Plasma, your shas'vre gets stealth, shrouded, infiltrate, defensive grenades, and +1 BS. It looks like you can't take him without a stealth suit squad though? Might balance him out in needing 60 points of "sub-optimal" stealth suits.

Correct. You need to either buy a base XV25 squad (125pts total), or buy the more expensive Xv25-2 Squad(155pts total) in order to get his 65pt+weapon cost edition. This is on a majority T3 unit, so his t4 is useless. Defensive grenades is, I agree a huge bonus(May Drop). +1BS is good only for his off-hand weapon, but still strong.

Overall Thoughts
Very very pretty commander. I really like all the conversion work on him with the ghostkeel's head (and shoulders?) and spiffy backpack. Pretty par for the coarse fluff. Badass stealth commander who has a cool suit and gun. Kinda like darkstrider in a crisis suit. I'd be be willing to throw down against him at least once as I like challenges and narrative battles, but I can see him being extremely overbearing against more casual opponents. Personally I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot poll in my meta, but my opponents sometimes struggle against one HBC riptide, so that isn't saying much.

Ghostkeel head, shoulder, and chest. My meta changes a lot but features Spawn Blobs, Maulerfiends, decurion, nurgle daemons, and drop pods pretty heavily.

I play a Y'vahra 1/3 games, and almost always lose him by Turn 3. Short-lived Horrifying Slaughter Bot for sure.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#28 » Sep 30 2016 12:47

I think what materpillar meant was that the cost of an individual suit doesn't add up to the cost of a unit consisting of 3 suits. They should cost 33,333333333333(and so on) points of you want the total points of the unit of 3 to be 100p.
Maybe raise them to 35p and the total point cost to 115p instead or go with some odd number like 32(33)/96(99) points.

materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#29 » Oct 04 2016 01:58

Gets Hot Rolls for templates can be re-rolled if the unit is twin-linked or if it is BS6+. Gets Hot Rolls for templates cannot be re-rolled if you can re-roll 1s for something like preferred enemy. This is a really good rule to know for your Y'Vahra (and some others like longstrike on an ion cannon hammerhead or regular riptide with ion accelerator).

He will still suffer a wound from a Gets Hot roll on his Overcharged flamer 64% of the time. 32% for two wounds and losing his shots. He is most reliable (sans 2nd weapon) at slaughtering Fire warrior equivalents/genestealers/dark eldar.

Suffering a wound from Gets Hot is fine because he still has a 3+ to not get hurt. Overcharging that weapon every turn of the game means he should suffer an unsaved wound a bit more than once every 5 turns. Less if you give him FNP. Then you can throw in a couple of markerlights and the odds of him taking a wound drops even lower. He'd be especially disgusting rocking a target lock in a Farsight Deathball with a buffmander.

It looks like a risky weapon, but the upside of 2 shots of STR6 AP3 over 1 shot of STR5 AP4 is just so massive. In most cases the chance of getting a second hit with your flamer on a target is mathematically good enough that you'd probably even do it against Fire warrior equivalents/genestealers/dark eldar.

I'm curious to know how your test game went. Since that experience is obviously better than just theory crafting.
----- Akul Contingent -----
Engagement Results 54-18-8

Drannen
Shas

Post#30 » Nov 14 2017 12:38

Good day commanders,

with the advent of the fifth sphere expansion, it has been difficult to update high command on recent developments, but suffice to say, tactics needed to be adjusted to meet urgent battlefield demands.

Be that as it may, many developments need to be reported back to the empire. apologies for the formatting errors.

I begin with the commandeering of an alien vessel by our most talented combat engineer Fio. After a viscious skirmish with an Aeldari space station, and it's subsequent garrisoning by Phe'nyx forces, Fio' Ab'alateer happened upon this TX4 class vessel. Upon her return with it to the orbital, she rapidly adapted it, and our own DX Kor'vesa to allow her to pilot this vehicle on her own into battlespaces, and emerge nearly unscathed from dense firefights.

We have at present found her contributions of great value, and have this promoted her to honorary Shas'ui rank, pending your confirmation.

Typically outfitted with twin rail rifles, this vehicle as opposed to our tx-42, also has the ability to transport two DX class drones to the battlefield as well.

Drannen
Shas

Post#31 » Nov 14 2017 12:57

Good Day commanders,

Further updates from the front.
Phe'nyx Forward orbital base continues it's advance into space on the opposite side of the great rift. We have found our way into Gue'vesa occupied territory, but other alien species appear in abundance, and at alarming rates of occupation of worlds.

To aid in the Orbital's ease of deployment of rapid insertion forces, we have comissioned the resident Fio to complete the following project:

Colloquially known as the "Bug Suit" by many Shas, this class of our readily available breacher armour becomes highly mobile, and while retaining the majority of it's considerable stopping power, allows our troops to quickly perform the "swoop from the skies" maneuver, increasing their battlefield versatility, and eliminating the need for deployment of XV8 assets for "Astartes" class threats.

This effect is great enough that we have been able to reduce the number of XV8 sorties to those deemed hazardous enough to assign one of our resident Shas'os to the task.

Surveys still have found no suitable worlds for T'au colonization, we now enter the second sphere of exploration in our sector to find a suitable "home base" from which to further the greater good.

Drannen
Shas

Post#32 » Nov 14 2017 01:23

Good Day Commanders,

Today I am excited to present to you the result of many months of campaigning, and battlefield refinements that the Phe'nyx orbital has been subject to.

Without further delay, may it please you, I report the development of the TX128 Stormhead Gunship.

As previously reported to High command, The orbital has been unable to establish a firm beachhead on any world in the nearby sectors, necessitating a more mobile plan of battle than would otherwise allow the deployment of KV128 ballistic suits.

We have on many occasions required the fire support of such an asset to the local battlefield however. Given the dedicated assets required to deploy, and more pointedly to us, recover such a valuable asset, it behooved us to develop a more versatile application of this class of asset.

I present to you; The aforementioned Stormhead Artillery Gunship

Hosting the same primary armament as the Stormsurge Ballistic suit, this gunship augments the mobility of a standard hammerhead gunship with a Geo-synchronus anchoring system to allow it to fire twice, akin to the stabilization anchors of the primary suit.

Not to be outdone by it's progenitor, the Stormhead mounts two banks of Harmonized Vertical Launch System(VLS) Missile banks, providing daunting saturation fire on any target designated by forward operators.

Furthermore, though the mounting on a Hammerhead chassis reduces the mobility of the chassis considerably, the ability for this asset to achieve low orbit rendezvous with it's attendant Manta dropship reduces the required transport assets dedicated to this version of atrtillery so significantly, that it would be unadvisable for it to go unreported to High Command.

Drannen
Shas

Post#33 » Nov 14 2017 01:39

Good Day Commaders,

As an attachment to previous correspondence, the Phe'nyx Forward Orbital has procured a way to facilitate the deployment of small task forces of standard Fire Warriors, when deployments of "bug Suits" would be cost prohibitive, and the authorization of TY7 Devilfish assets were also couter-indicated.

Please excuse the formatting errors:

This is, to be further updated, the MB7 Tactical insertion Drone. Also dubbed the Seahorse, this vehicle is not capable of full atmospheric entry. Instead it relies on the drop capability of Manta class dropships to deliver it to the battlefield, then deploys as would a standard XV8 or MB3, and disgorge its compliment of 5-6 standard outfit Fire Warriors, then loiter in the combvat airspace awaiting the retrieval signal from local command, providing an additional C2 Node from which battlefield operations could be conducted.

Given our chronic lack of basing territory, and our continual need to recover small, isolated, and scattered teams of fire warriors, manufacture of these "Seahorses" has become a major consideration in local manufacturing capabilities.

Drannen
Shas

Post#34 » Nov 17 2017 10:51

Good day commanders, today I will be reporting the promotion of one of our number to the rank of Shas'el.

Shas'el'mon'tyr'res'alm'aiski - Sub Commander SavageHand has recently been promoted in light of his exemplary, if unorthodox skills in battle. He has been a valuable part of our cadre since we departed empire space for the Damocles gulf, but his behaviour is different enough for note to be taken.

During his time as a Shas'la, and his time in battle near Kroot, most notably the Krootox, Aiski has shown a tendancy to violent confrontations. Never directed at his fellow Shas, this violence led his team into many situations that would be considered too risky for normal consideration by a more typical Shas'ui. As such, he excelled in the close action tactics of a Breacher fire team leader

Nonetheless, his "recklessness" usually paid of in tactical dividends, as these highly concentrated zones usually contained key elements of forces against which we were engaged, and Aiski's close engagement allowed us to take the day on more than a scattering of occasions.

It was deemed that the loss of a talented Shas'ui in a bad deployment of a Breacher team was enough of a drawback to promote Aiski to the XV88 corps, piloting a HYMP outfitted suit in close support to frontline applications.

While showing competency in this role, Aiski did not excel as was previously hoped by Orbital command. His proficiency with close, frantic engagements was driven home once again during one particular engagement when the screening kroot lines between his XV88 fire team were breached, and his team was under threat of being overrun by gue'la.

contrary to standard protocols, Aiski engaged the enemy in hand to hand combat in his XV-88, wielding his HYMP ordnance as large sweeping hammer blows, holding back the tide as the remnants of his team fell back to a more defensible position.

Of particular note during this battle was Aiski's halting of the advance of a Leman russ class vehicle by punching it. Utilizing the increased load capacity of the Xv88's leg servos, Aiski managed to destroy the oncoming vehicle by triggering all of his remaining ordnance upon contact with the hull of the vehicle.

Post battlefield analysis shows that two of the missiles actually penetrated the hull of the vehicle before their propulsion systems were activated.

These heroic, if unorthodox, actions allowed Aiski to hold the Fire Team's position until scrambled Crisis response teams could drop in an re-secure the area. Half of Aiski's XV88 was rendered inoperable due to that explosion, and had to be airlifted for salvage after the battle.

The remnants of this suit were set aside in future preparations for a suit tailored to Aiski's particularly brutal style of war.

His promotion out of the XV88 corps and into a Crisis response team suited Aiski well, though his penchant for extremely close actions led many of his teams to attempt (mostly unsuccessfully) his preferred "Dynamic Entry", firing ordnance into a below foe during insertion and entering directly into hand to hand combat aided by the inertia of the drop.

Today, Aiski takes ownership of this XV82, dubbed the Breaker class suit, alongside his promotion to Shas'el. We hope he continues to be a valuable asset to our operations outside of the empire.

This suit hosts a number of modifications from a standard XV8, or XV88. Retaining the considerable bulk of the XV88, the Breaker class discards saturation fire in favor of enhanced durability, and augmented mobility over the two more typical suits respectively.

Armaments consist of a pair of Fusion blasters, and this suit is outfitted with a energy shield generation system.

Most easily noted is the addition of Aiski's gauntlets. Differing from the more common Onager Gauntlets available through the empire, these were developed after reverse engineering the Gue'la weapon called the "Power Fist".

After our Fio managed to achieve detailed readings on a particular variant of this type of weapon known as the "Gauntlets of Ultramar" during an engagement, these paired gauntlets were fitted to this suit as soon as was possible.

While operating on slightly dissimilar principles, these fists show a very comparable level of damage and lethality when employed against targets by Aiski.

rules draft
Last edited by Drannen on Nov 17 2017 06:59, edited 1 time in total.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#35 » Nov 17 2017 11:09

Dayum that's a brutal looking suit! Love it! Now I want a Commander in XV88 option so we have an XV88 with WS3+ and more attacks and possibly two support system slots for a Shield Gen and ATS! :D
Great write up as well!

Return to “Modelling”