Phe'nyx Task Force

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Drannen
Shas

Phe'nyx Task Force

Post#1 » Jun 04 2014 04:11

Good Day Commanders,

After lurking here for a couple of months, I finally took the plunge, and bought the first units of my Tau army!

Unfortunately, after seeing the really cool work done by members of this forum, my idea of a cool army was not just the snap-together, and slap some paint on it! mentality. I assume that this army will take me for years, so I wanted to make some interesting models to play with, and model.

I stared with an Xv8 Crisis team:

My First Ever Crisis Suit!

A Partner in Crime!

Shas'vre of the Pack

Shas'vre w IBS CCN and DC with his drone posse

The Whole Unit Together

Misc...

Overall this was really fun! They are in the cleanup stage now, as evidenced by mold lines, and the blue-tack holding them together. They still need to go through some green-stuffing to fill in some gaps, Magnetization, and then I get to try my hand at some painting!

For the most part, the mods were reasonably simple, following some of this forum's great guides about jetpack cutting, leg snipping, and reposing the arms.

Thanks for the look, and I hope it gives some other lurker some good ideas!

Null
Fio

Re: Phe'nyx Task Force

Post#2 » Jun 04 2014 05:39

Hi Drannen

Drannen wrote: I assume that this army will take me for years, so I wanted to make some interesting models to play with, and model.
Right on! IMHO that's the best attitude to have; take your time and make something your 100% satisfied with. Then you'll have a solid army core that you want to stick with.

Nice work on your suits :biggrin:, love the dynamic feel! Whats the plan for the 'Vre suit? Are you gonna use standard codex weapon load-outs, or are you giving him Railguns?

Ooooh, and what's the 'lil doo-dad on his shoulder? Is that a Fio'O Tael multitracker I see ? :crafty:

Keep up the good work!

- null

Drannen
Shas

Post#3 » Jun 27 2014 01:43

Hey Null, sorry about the late reply....
I finally got the suits painted, though the drones are not complete yet.
On the Vre, the arm pods are the Iridium Battlesuit mod stand in.
The shoulder unit is the Command/Control Node.
And after a misadventure I had to make up a new aerial with a drone antenna/Pulse carbine to stand in for a Drone controller on his head.

NEW STUFF!
I managed to pick up a couple of squads of FWs and here is what has come of the first:

I also picked up a squad of Pathfinders.....but i got preoccupied with thinking of what to do with the recon drone. (one of the crudest models in the Tau line IMO) I managed a bit of a kit bash with the remnants of an old xv88 conversion kit, a multi tracker, and some done bits.

Tau Einhander! "Endymion mk. Tau"
I plan to use it as a Monat Crisis suit unit
I've got the unit magnetized, but since it is a drone, and not a full suit, it only has 2 hardpoints

I'm thinking of running it primarily as a sunforge pattern, as I had a heck of a time killing a helbrute in the last game I played.

Edited images for size As per below
Last edited by Drannen on Jun 27 2014 04:59, edited 1 time in total.

Nevar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#4 » Jun 27 2014 01:52

The drone Monat is pretty awesome. I saw another person here on the forums build theirs into a 'Raven' crisis as well. That makes me look at those recon drones a whole different way.

Your cadre is on it's way to being awesome. Keep up the good work and keep the images coming. You might want to find a good size and stick to that however, as the constant change is jarring to your audience. Likewise, it's hard to see the details on your drone monat because the image is so small.

Drannen
Shas

Post#5 » Jul 02 2014 07:25

Just another quick update.
My pathfinder heavy weapons unit....Aka experiementing with epoxying base terrain.

And one more angle
At the moment, I will probably leave this squad as-is, maybe adding a shield drone.
My primary markerlight source will be a SDT with max marksmen and 3 marker drones for movement AND markerlights. The Bs5 doesn't hurt either.

That exhausts the current model kits I have available to me so it will be a while before this thread is updated again.

Tau'Va!

Drannen
Shas

Post#6 » Jul 14 2014 07:46

Good Day Commanders,

Next up is a Sniper Drone Team Marksman conversion.
It is all from Pathfinder kit bits.

So, as it stands now, My one pathfinder Unit kit has managed to yield 2 complete (and part of a third) units! Cost effectiveness!

Hopefully I can get as lucky with other kits as this one.
Tau'Va!

Drannen
Shas

Post#7 » Aug 26 2014 11:21

Hello Commanders,

Since I have no new model kits, I decided to try my hand at sculpting with a cheaper epoxy "greenstuff" knockoff.
Image Image
It turned out okay, and will be a pretty good Ethereal I think. not quite as detailed as the GW kits, but a fair showing for a first go at it.

While I was at it, I chopped up some of my childhood toys to make:
Image Image
Image Image

At the moment, I'm calling it the Xv8-Bastion class Battlesuit.
Intended to be utilized by Monats on extended missions, this battlesuit is 15% larger than a traditional crisis suit to accommodate the increased life support, and energy storage needs for unsupported missions far behind enemy lines for extended periods of time.

It has 4 magnetized hardpoints on the arms, though two of them can only be fitted with burst cannons at the moment, as I do not have spare missile pods/Fusion/plasma to magnetize onto them. You can see that I have managed to scrounge some other burst cannon, and missile pod standins from some older toys as well.

Thanks for looking!

Drannen
Shas

Post#8 » Sep 11 2014 11:54

Hello Commanders,
Today, I present to you:
Image Image
Image Image

The XV-08 (blank) class Battlesuit.
(blank) because I do not know whether I like the designation "Nephilim" "Valkyrie" or "Dancer" better.

"Developed in partnership with Kor'Vattra engineers, this battlesuit is tasked with rapid insertion actions from altitudes up to low orbit.

Typically deployed in strike squads that include up to 2 Dx-08 Crisis drones, and up to 6 standard Dx-01 platform standard drones, the Monat pilots entrusted with these battlesuit variants must spend a training period within the air caste academy training hierarchy in order to fully utilize the increased thrust, mobility, but decreased stability of piloting a perpetually airborne battlesuit weapons platform.

Theoretically able to operate in deep space battles, this suit class has never been deployed in true space combat based on doubts on weapon efficacy against spacecraft-mass targets. This suit has seen extensive testing in the exploration and clearing of drifting space hulks, and it's advanced mobility has proven very useful in these scenarios."

In game I plan to use this as a simple crisis suit "count as" unit, though if i'm playing with a person who liked fluff additions, I'd give it a 7" move in the movement phase to not overpower it, be a little bit corny, and still stick with the fluff as written. It has 3 hardpoints for weapons. two on arms, and one between the jet-packs (missile pod!). In theory it also has VRT, but I wouldn't add that into the unit rules unless I added the points to the base cost, and I wanted to keep it as close to a bog standard Crisis suit as possible. (I added 5pts to the cost in my lists)

Thanks for looking, and until next time
Tau'va!

reconjsh
Shas

Post#9 » Sep 12 2014 02:30

The XV-08 (blank) class Battlesuit.
(blank) because I do not know whether I like the designation "Nephilim" "Valkyrie" or "Dancer" better.

I like "Dancer" because I think you should avoid using mankind mythological names... and it'd be a bummer to get fragged by a unit called "Dancer".

Recon.
My Cadre Log - [need better pictures]

Drannen
Shas

Post#10 » Nov 11 2014 10:01

Good day Commanders,

Today for your consideration I have 3 units for perusal.
First up is my simple conversion of an xv8-05 Commander battlesuit
No huge conversions, just a beefing up of the chest, and the addition of a left shoulder pad. primed, and base coated only.
If I play a Commander, he's usually buffing things, so no magnetized hardpoints on this model...yet.
And as an aside...I hate this unit's standard leg pose. If only they made this same kit with poseable knee joints!
The "just jumped in" look doesn't work well after turn 2, it just looks like the opponent broke wind, and he's trying to lean away from it.

Next, an Xv8 crisis suit team.

Magnetized, primed up, and ready to go! I wanted to beef up the Shas'ui's, so I tried to give them a nice piece of chest armor, and then the targeting relay assembly on opposite sides from each other. Additionally I wanted to beef up the jetpack a bit. The Shas'vre is supposed to be a little more mobile, so I made up a standard jetpack, with a little bit more of an aggressive look. I absolutely love the posing options, and the look of digitigrade legs, so it's a standard on all of my battlesuits save the above Commander, and the Dancer-class suit.
Broadside Battlesuit heads make these models look far more menacing than the standard ones.

The idea behind these suits is that they are always going to be the team deepstriking in from higher altitudes, and so need a bit more booster power to land safely.

And the finale for today's rollout of Tau hardware is a scratchbuilt/kitbashed XV9-05 Shas'o R'alai count-as battlesuit.
Really fun model to bash together, a bit time consuming, but I'm happy with the result. A little Y'vahra-ish, and less Pyramid-head than the original.
He stands about a cm taller (with the intake) than the battlesuit commander, but his base is a tiny bit larger than an Xv88's.
Heavy washers=no tippy models!
Not too much to say about the function, as it's a R'alai count-as.--he's supposed to wreck face.
Can't wait to play test him in a game.

Until next time,
Tau'va.

Deepstrike
Shas

Post#11 » Nov 12 2014 07:21

Love your take on the suits and the conversions themselves.... Love love LOVE, the R'Alai conversion!!

What did you use for the bits? Any chance of a how to model? I have 3 R'Alai models and I have to say I like it as is.... Until I saw that conversion of yours.

Onos
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#12 » Nov 16 2014 04:12

Really Interesting models!!! Your suits are original and love your crisis modified jetpack!!! R'Alai is impressive, but I don't like so much relief on shield generator. Why don't you flatten his surface?

Drannen
Shas

Post#13 » Nov 21 2014 01:21

To build the O'ralai model I had to kitbash 1 broadside kit, and 4 different gundam models. I think that they could still be found, but the cost would be about the same, or more than buying an O'ralai from forgeworld.
Railgun and main chest: Gundam nakatu
Shield/lower legs: Gundam shenlong
Shoulderpads and upper legs: Gundam hellscythe
Take those and add in a liberal amount of greenstuff, plasticard, and time and Voila!

This was a great way for me to recycle old toys, but not cost effective as a new project.

As for the shield, I had a few to choose from, including one that was smoother than the one I chose.
I just liked the look of the more aggressive shield. *shrug*

He is painted up now in a dark blue on dark grey with silver highlights color scheme and is a pretty intimidating threat on my side of the table.

Thanks for the compliments!

Myrdin
Shas

Post#14 » Nov 21 2014 04:23

He looks very "eavy metal !" Like O´Rlai on steroids ! Good job.
Funny how he has problems to fit on an actual XV88 base, those are pretty big and usually require extra "stuff" to fill in with scenery and such. Not a problem for this guy though hehe

Drannen
Shas

Post#15 » Nov 21 2014 11:28

After a bit of measurement, the base comes in at under 50mm across, so right in between the two standard bases. I think he probably would be better suited on a Broadside base simply because both his arms, and all of his gun poke out over the base pretty far.

Two quick shots of O'ralai, and my Commander painted up.

Drannen
Shas

Post#16 » Nov 24 2014 12:06

Good day Commanders,
Today I have the newest recruits for the greater good.

2 squads of 6, or one of 12, as well as two extra fire warrior that could serve three different roles.

They could (and most of the time would) serve as Shas'vre's.
With an Ion Pistol. Because that would be hilarious.

They could be be used as Cadre Fireblade standins.

But I think that one of the most fun uses would be as a tactical attache unit to provide either an advanced communications suit, or an electronics warfare suite for the squad.

Something along the lines of a positional relay, or snapshots at bs2, or can you imagine the mayhem if it could have an ability like the neuroweb system jammer? I don't think FW need any buff, but it might add some variety.

Until next time, Tau'va.

Drannen
Shas

Post#17 » Mar 10 2015 06:59

Good Day Commanders,

It has been a while since the last addition to the task force, but this update covers four of the new recruits. So new in fact, that they still need paint.

First up, a pair of Crisis Suits

And a second squad

The vast majority of my Crisis suit squads operate in pairs, with light gun drone support. This lets them combine fire when needed, or bug out and grab an objective or two when the situation dictates greed over slaughter.

Next up is a severely kitbashed Crisis suit that I have used as a Crisis Commander with Drone controller/CIB/Flamer/Shield Gen. As yet un-named, and un-painted.
The cut down Broadside railgun should serve as a reasonable standin for a CIB rule weapon.
Commander from the back, the two multitrackers represent a robust drone controller/sensor suite

And the Biggest new arrival - Bring on the Y'Vahra
Mild additions to the Shoulder pauldrons, and the jetpack crest areas

That Beautiful Flamer - Flechette pod on the side
Ion Cannon - Another flechette pod on this weapon as well
Jet.Pack. I love the look of this hulking piece of resin.

This is a great unit on table. (I've been proxying it) It provides such a great threat range, and one of my better solutions to massed Terminators/Obliterators, especially when they're in cover!

It does tend to have a problem with Giant Robot Fights, as it died rather quickly due to some lucky rolls in a combat with a Riptide. It is a huge tactical asset when it can boost, jump onto an objective, Nova flamer the objective secured marines holding it into ash, and then survive the inevitable flood of fire coming from the enemy's backfield with it's close range shield boost. It has not survived past turn 4 though. Ever. It likes to be put in the furnace, and dies fast consequently. It has always made up it's points in Objectives/Units killed, so I'm quite happy with this big, beautiful bruiser.

My Meta is heavily on Infantry models, and only now starting to integrate more vehicles, so I haven't been able to really utilize the Ionic Cannon very much.

And Finally, all four new units together
Until next time, Tau'va

samuraities
Shas

Post#18 » Mar 11 2015 02:36

I lik the look of the commander, very tech-ish.
The crisis suits look nice too,

The pose on the Y'vahra looks nice, but wouldn't it be better if the ionic cannon was raised a bit,
it would make the model look more threatening, I think, but that's my opinion. If you like this you should keep it.

what are the custom shoulder pads on the Y'vahra made off?
They don't look like any gundam piece I know ;)

Return to “Modelling”