New Battlesuits

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Onos
Shas'Ui

New Battlesuits

Post#1 » Jun 22 2015 07:14

Hi ATT,
I'm sorry for my absence but I was too busy for my Bachelor Degree.
Now I've more time for modelism, and during these days I've worked on some project, one of these is my commander battlesuit, created on the design of my previous XV72 Vulcan Prototype. It's all sulpted with Green Stuff mixed with Milliput Terracotta and plasticard.
What do you think? Feedback??

modelglue
Kor'El

Re: New Battlesuits

Post#2 » Jun 22 2015 07:21

I like the legs the best of all, but I think the torso is too bulky for the extremities. Is there an experimental rules set you wanted to use this suit with? Or maybe a count-as for another model? The reason I ask is because of the weapons you've chosen to arm it with. Not many suits get swords, but maybe you are counting that as something else or you are just modelling for fun. :)

I really enjoy seeing the effort you put into these projects, but why not post a lot more photos? I would like to see different shots.

Onos
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Jun 23 2015 04:18

Thank you very much modelglue! :D
I try to create a heavy armoured battlesuit, probably this affect on its bulky aspect :P
Mmmm.. I've not idea about rules, I didn't have the opportunity to play wh40k, I only deal with modelling and painting and I really love Tau design and background, so I took the cue from Commander Farsight (I really love battlesuits with swords :P ) using my personal style.
Here other shots!
In following days I'd like to post photos of other battlesuits, but only after feedback of this :P :P :P

TrueSize
Shas

Post#4 » Jun 23 2015 04:31

I like the battlesuit although i do feel the legs are too skinny in comparison to the torso. I believe if the torso is heavy armoured, I would like the legs to be the same as well but that is just personal preference.

I am however impressed with that sword design, and will probably borrow that idea. My main question is though did you 'scratched' on the other side of the blade, hexagons as well?

To me it looks like a firm clear plastic, i am guessing quite rigid and slightly thinner in comparison to that upper length of the pulse rifle. Is the plastic from a generic product?

Anyway, i was thinking of making a shield as well, and the use of hexagons is quite unique i believe.

modelglue
Kor'El

Post#5 » Jun 23 2015 05:28

Thanks for posting more pics, that makes a big difference in understanding the overall form of the model. If you are not a gamer (like me) and you just show up to model, then I really appreciate the share. This hobby has many very diverse facets and this sort of modelling is my favourite. I wish I could do more like you have.

Keep it up! :D

Co'da
Shas

Post#6 » Jun 23 2015 09:30

I love seeing new, custom battlesuits. We're all unfortunately slaves to the development and production cycle that GW can't constantly give us a stream of crazy one-offs.

Even though Tau don't do melee (which I think there are some very wrong assumptions about why, out there in the wider internet), I really do think the sword - and swords in general - absolutely have a place. They're (visually) based on anime, after all. The sword you made, especially, looks very Tau-ish. It looks almost like an energy weapon, made of of a shaped force field, maybe. It looks really good.

I agree the model is a bit bulky but, consider this: Two pilots. I don't dislike the size of it, and you absolutely perfected the interlocking-plate look that Tau use, so I don't think it comes off as out of place. It can either be heavily armoured and crammed with tech, or you could say it has two pilots, if you wanted.

I hope to see more new battlesuits!

Tael
Fio'O

Post#7 » Jun 23 2015 08:55

Solid, imaginative and bold rendition. Really enjoy your work and seeing this new model is a treat.

Have to say, Tau modellers seem to be the most inventive; it likley stems from the ethos of constant innovation the Tau are portrayed as having; and our frustrating lack of base variety.

Only critique would be possibly more detailing on lower leg in next build? Add some visual strength. Though amputee running blades come to mind for their insance thickness to weight ratio; for some reason these reality checks never balance in modelling :D

Onos
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Jun 24 2015 06:08

@TrueSize
Thank you very much :biggrin:
Mmmmm... I know about the difference between the torso and legs, in fact at the beginning I created more bulky legs, but the effect was not so good, so I tried a more thinner solution that likes me more, maybe I will post first soluction, so you can evaluate :)
Talking about the sword: Hexagons are scratched only on one side, I decided to make them on the rear side, this gives to the sword a nice effect, it is made with transparent plastic from a cd cover.
For the shield you can use a drone and add to it some trasparent plastic hexagons, the structure could be like a football, what do you think?

@modelglue
Thank to you for your comment :D
I see the hobby in the same way! And I think that sharing every modelling alternative is the best way to improve our skills ;)

@Co'da
Thank you very much Co'da :D
I'm in accord with you about GW production, but I think also that this impossibility to do a constant production mixed with the input given by GW design could prompt us to develop more interesting and amazing projects! I'm in accord with you also about swords and melee for Tau! This sword is inspired by one typology of Prog Knife from Evangelion!
I found your proposal about two pilots really interesting!!! I'm going to consider this for my suit! And don't worry, you will see lots of customized battlesuits ;)

@Tael
Than you very much Tael!!! :)
You always spend nice words about my works :D I must say that Tau Technology and Background are a perfect input for fantasious works!!!! I'm going to take more care on next battlesuits legs, maybe something more compact and massive :biggrin:

However here final photos of XV78 Battlesuit

And now as I promised... There will be two identical battlesuits, named XV7 Stratos, their role will be Commander body guard.. This is a small anticipation, a circular (it comes from a shield generator) sensored head:

What do you think?

Onos
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Jun 29 2015 10:10

I'm leaving to Japan for University and I'll stay there for one week, I'll be offline for a little, so I'm posting some details of new battlesuit:
This is the left arm with a shield generator!

Feedback?

Co'da
Shas

Post#10 » Jun 29 2015 10:25

If you have more clear plastic, you could surround the shield generator with a clear, hex-shaped shield. It would add a neat effect and reinforce the theme the sword carries.

Return to “Modelling”