Advanced Armory Project

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Shasfio
Shas'La

Advanced Armory Project

Post#1 » Jul 21 2015 12:50

Well Big update here folks, editing the first post to reflect all the designs I've posted to date. I'm going to be producing more and more designs as the thread goes on so please, offer up your comments, critiques, gripes, and complaints. I even invite inspiration if you think you can provide it.

New update: 1/28/17

Since I'm back from my extended (truck induced) leave of absence I figured I'll start posting the current project here on the first post.

Current Project : Betta (Drone operated combat chassis) The concept is that they're simpler to produce that manned equipment and while not as robust are useful when material and personnel are at a premium, like way when one is at the fringes of civilization.

Example of my keying system.

FAQ:

Q: Are these available for sale?
A: Not yet, but soon! We're working on getting prototypes produced as funds allow.

Q: Are you available for commission work?
A: Yes, price and rights to finished product can be negotiated out for later. EVERYTHING is up for negotiation, nothing is fixed.

Q: What do you mean "rights to finished product"?
A: Normally when I design something for someone else they may choose to retain all rights to the finished design for the standard price. However for a considerably reduced price both parties retain equal rights and may do with the design as they choose.

Q: Okay so what does that mean?
A: It means for a cheaper price on commissions I may produce the design as a model.

Q: I have a commission request/files to send/conversation that would rather be held off ATT, how can I contact you?
A: I can be reached for these subjects at Othryades.mythos@gmail.com

Q: Are you designing these pieces for a specific game system?
A: No, these parts are all stand alone pieces not affiliated with any game company and while possibly compatible with other miniatures they are intended only as conversion parts to be used by customers as they see fit.

Okay now that that's out of the way, here are the designs I've produced so far.

Big gun! (likely will not be produced as is)
ImageImage

Compression Particle Cannon

Kukri Missile

Mag Rifle

Ion Carronade

Mech hand mount (54mm roughly)

Smart Gun System

Targeting relay

Mech head

Autocannon

Engine Manifold Cover

Turret

Blade Gauntlets

Knuckle Buster
ImageImage

Rotary Cannon

Artillery Turret

Heavy Grenade Launcher (picture with arm)

Cluster Launcher

Missile Pack

More Missiles

All of the Missiles!

Well there's the updated list, in progress shots are posted all over the first 4 pages, not one page without more pics.

Lemme know what you think folks, I'm up to design new stuff while I work on this new aesthetic.

I'm also open for Commission work, PM me here or email me at Othryades.mythos@gmail.com, everything is open to negotiation and price is flexible.
Last edited by Shasfio on Jan 28 2017 02:14, edited 10 times in total.

Siyath
Shas

Re: Heavy Ion Weaponry

Post#2 » Jul 21 2015 02:40

Well, first off, as you quite likely already understand, working on your army and posting a few topics about the subject is nowhere near excessive and nothing but commendable dedication and if nothing else, a nice thing for us others to have for a reading.

Secondly, concerning the missile loadouts and especially the HYMP - you have seen this image (it's in our codex), have you not?

[spoiler=]Image[/spoiler]

I'm under the illusion that a lot of the apparent single warheads we see in Tau missile weapons are in fact delivery systems for a cluster of semi-intelligent micromissiles which see and identify targets, skip around cover, find weak spots and either carpet bombs softer targets (f.e. SMS) or clusters into a pin-pointed target area in heavier armour to deliver the real punch (HYMP).

As for the design of the weapon, it looks good. Since you talked about ammunition capabilities and reactors, I'm not sure I understand the magazine(?) in your design. Since fuel is basically ammunition for a reactor in a weapon, those are some sort of fuel/matter-cartridges, right? I hope Solidworks takes the filetype without too much trouble so you don't have to start from scratch.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui

Post#3 » Jul 21 2015 03:12

Interesting concept of ion weapon. Feels the Tau aesthetics well.

Shasfio wrote:I built this in google sketchup ages ago, but unfortunately I screwed up somewhere and the geometry isn't closed and I really can't figure out how to close it in this program. That said I have access to solidworks and I'm going to try and recreate it there.

If you can export it to dxf/stl/obj (or any other file format Blender can handle), I can check and repair the geometry for you for non-manifold parts and wall thickness. I used to do this for videogame models to be 3D printed.
Another program used to check (not repair) the parts is Netfabb (recommended to me by a Shapeways team member)

Shasfio wrote:I've been thinking about how much I hate mass fire missile weapons. With seekers you see the individual shots, with marines you can see all 6 or so missiles that a marine carries and fires. But with smart missile systems, high yield pods, and missile pods unless one or two shots counts as high yield I don't see the ammo holding. With energy weapons the reactor is the only limitation apparent so I thought, missiles and ion weapons seem to have the same base strength and the cyclic ion blaster has the same ap even so why not build a proxy piece.

For me, I used to think about reload drones (but why skyray don't have access to them ?) for replenish missiles.

Shasfio
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jul 21 2015 12:09

Siyath wrote:I'm under the illusion that a lot of the apparent single warheads we see in Tau missile weapons are in fact delivery systems for a cluster of semi-intelligent micromissiles which see and identify targets, skip around cover, find weak spots and either carpet bombs softer targets (f.e. SMS) or clusters into a pin-pointed target area in heavier armour to deliver the real punch (HYMP).
I forgot this is how their rounds work, but while that still works for what a standard game number of shots that would still run even most suits empty before a battle was over (I also assume paired weapons with twin linked both fire in most situations). I agree on how you see missiles working, personally i think they're a little dumber just swarming a radar or thermal profile nearest the initial targeted point. Missile weapons have just always rubbed me wrong for forward operation or long op combat, and on mechs they drive me a bit bonkers as they have no real mechanism to reload.

Siyath wrote:As for the design of the weapon, it looks good. Since you talked about ammunition capabilities and reactors, I'm not sure I understand the magazine(?) in your design. Since fuel is basically ammunition for a reactor in a weapon, those are some sort of fuel/matter-cartridges, right? I hope Solidworks takes the filetype without too much trouble so you don't have to start from scratch.
It's not a magazine, it's a rotary chamber attachment. Ammunition and reactors (energy really) is a reference to how energy weapons are shown to work in Gundam and Star Wars (yes I know the 2nd is space fantasy but its no worse than 40k). In gundam many energy weapons are merely recharged by being placed into holster/sling positions on the machine and can be used again later, or they end up just attached to the machines reactor. In star wars blaster and laser weapons are actually functionally plasma using high energy bursts to excite gas provided by cartridges. In series a cartridge may function anywhere from 50-500 shots on infantry grade weapons and vehicles are functionally loaded with enough for what is routinely multiple sorties. In both of these situations the only restriction to ammunition in any engagement is energy. This is what I'm going for with Ion and particle weapons instead of missiles.

Kael'yn wrote:For me, I used to think about reload drones (but why skyray don't have access to them ?) for replenish missiles.
While reload drones makes sense for defensive combat and maybe for defensive positions in general they don't really work for assault units with how much they'd have to carry and the hazards of reloaded heavy weapons likes that in the thick, though I could see them being like runners or being dropped in like support, like how in vietnam hueys would drop whole cases of ammo off for troops in the field, maybe with this type the case has a drone attached to the top who pops off and starts reloading automatically. Maybe seekers are just too big?

Kael'yn wrote:If you can export it to dxf/stl/obj (or any other file format Blender can handle), I can check and repair the geometry for you for non-manifold parts and wall thickness. I used to do this for videogame models to be 3D printed.
Another program used to check (not repair) the parts is Netfabb (recommended to me by a Shapeways team member)
I'll give it a whack but with solidworks I'm actually sure the program will churn out an OBJ or STL file (neither of which sketchup does well) and since I want to do 2 new models I figure why not work from there.
Last edited by Shasfio on Jul 27 2015 10:28, edited 1 time in total.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui

Post#5 » Jul 21 2015 12:59

Solidworks is a CAO program that can be tricky for some shapes. Tau shapes are simple so this is not a hard job for someone who know his way into the params.

Blender is an open source free powerful 3D modelling tool (although some people found it difficult to handle, being lost by its unique and fully customizeable UI)
You can found somewhere explanations and videos on correcting non manifold meshes in Blender (watertightness is a major issue, but not the only one: inverted normals, loose edges, ...)
I don't know if Solidworks has the same features if you import the Sketchup file.

Shasfio wrote: I'm actually sure the program will churn out an OBJ or STL file (neither of which sketchup does well)

Are you sure ? The last time I used Sketchup (modelling a house global shape), the basic DAE exported then imported to blender has a correct shape (but not optimized geometry for complex plane cuts). Blender then can export to STL natively.
I don't know about other exporters of Sketckup (mine is an old version that has only Collada DAE and GoogleEarth), But I think you can found OBJ or STL exporters for the latest Sketchup.

Shasfio
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jul 21 2015 07:25

Kael'yn wrote:Solidworks is a CAO program that can be tricky for some shapes. Tau shapes are simple so this is not a hard job for someone who know his way into the params.

Blender is an open source free powerful 3D modelling tool (although some people found it difficult to handle, being lost by its unique and fully customizeable UI)
You can found somewhere explanations and videos on correcting non manifold meshes in Blender (watertightness is a major issue, but not the only one: inverted normals, loose edges, ...)
I don't know if Solidworks has the same features if you import the Sketchup file.
I was actually talking about working the models from scratch in solidworks rather than importing as I've had a class on how to fiddle with solidworks and here we have some of the work I've done already with the program, and I feel that complex curves are noticeably harder than some forms of aesthetics..

Kael'yn wrote:Are you sure ? The last time I used Sketchup (modelling a house global shape), the basic DAE exported then imported to blender has a correct shape (but not optimized geometry for complex plane cuts). Blender then can export to STL natively.
I don't know about other exporters of Sketckup (mine is an old version that has only Collada DAE and GoogleEarth), But I think you can found OBJ or STL exporters for the latest Sketchup.
I didn't say at all, I said "well", also apparently since I last used sketchup they've added in native exporting to obj files so I was right then, wrong now. If you're interested in the model I could send you the skp file and you could fix it for me. I'm planning to have it printed by shapeways and then recast locally once I have the right size set up (I figured on printing it in 3 different sizes and deciding which one to cast).
Last edited by Shasfio on Jul 27 2015 10:28, edited 1 time in total.

Shasfio
Shas'La

Post#7 » Jul 22 2015 12:37

okay folks here's run one of my attempt at mimicing Fio'O Tael's work.

Still in progress this has only taken me a few hours to get the basic shape down. Getting the hang of this again though still trying to remember how to create a new plane to draw or cut with without using other geometry.

edit (5 freaking AM, why can't I sleep anymore): Updating this one cause I don't wanna triple post.

Outside of adding a few more greblies or gubbins and chamfering the edges (I always leave that for last since it can get in the way of other mods) I think it's done. I PMed Tael about this cause I figured he'd like to see this rendition of his work.
ImageImageImageImage

Once the edges get chamfered it'll be easy for a printer to handle and it'll go in the pile for shapeways orders. Next I think I'm gonna tackle a nice ion cannon system for my Arowana, then move on to missile arms.

So people whaddya think, more gubbins or leave it as is?
Last edited by Shasfio on Jul 27 2015 10:29, edited 2 times in total.

modelglue
Kor'El

Post#8 » Jul 22 2015 06:00

Shasfio wrote:So people whaddya think, more gubbins or leave it as is?

Since you asked:
I would love to see more of the geometric armor saw-tooth panels like we see on Crisis and Broadside thigh armor incorporated into the barrel area. I would guess you are mirroring this part to make a left and right sided option, and the outside face is a bit too stark for me. :)

The keyway at the back end of the gun body is very nice though, I love those details on the Tau models and I think that is definitive.

Shasfio
Shas'La

Post#9 » Jul 23 2015 08:45

Okay I've done some more work, enlarged the inner conduits, added more details and adjusted a few points.

modelglue wrote:I would love to see more of the geometric armor saw-tooth panels like we see on Crisis and Broadside thigh armor incorporated into the barrel area. I would guess you are mirroring this part to make a left and right sided option, and the outside face is a bit too stark for me. :)

The keyway at the back end of the gun body is very nice though, I love those details on the Tau models and I think that is definitive.
The barrel's curved surface is really tricky to work on at this stage and I'm still going for the imitated Tael look which had blank sides. However I did take your request for certain details. For some of the new additions I pulled out a few weapons to take inspiration from.

ImageImageImageImageImage

More sawtooth on the inside, panels both drawn in and pushed out on the back and outside, plug points to add a suit gubbins on the top or plug it onto a suit shoulder. I'm thinking it's done but I'm open to suggestions as always.

"Female dogs", gripes, complaints
Last edited by Shasfio on Jul 27 2015 10:31, edited 1 time in total.

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Jul 23 2015 09:23

All the small additions are a definite improvement
Do you have a shot from the underside of the weapon?
Shas'O 50mm, the Foresighted
WIP Tau

Myrdin
Shas

Post#11 » Jul 23 2015 10:48

That is actually a nice looking piece. Has that "modern laser weaponry" look to it you could see in the Sci fi movies 20 years ago.
One thing I would change however is the back part piece. I would make it bigger and more elaborate to give of the feeling that this is the battery/generator that produces the energy for the weapon ;)

modelglue
Kor'El

Post#12 » Jul 23 2015 11:07

Yep, I'd call that done. :)

I like the details you added, and I can see where the barrel area would be a bit tough to modify with my suggested additions. I do like where you placed the undulating details on the gun body.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui

Post#13 » Jul 23 2015 02:41

To add details, maybe check our current weapons and design.
Or think of the weapon mechanism:
PAC = Particle Accelerators Cannon (following Tael idea): I want to see something that seems to "accelerate" a particle: coils, ribs, ... (check the look of Fallout M72 gauss rifle for a caricatural effect, but you can get the idea) on the two cylinders (without looking too Necron of course). And maybe subtle ventss or cooling system on the backside to add details to catch the light and paint.
IIRC the XV88 has also a "particle accelerator" (why ??? :roll: ) on its backside too. I don't know if you can borrow some features too.

Shasfio
Shas'La

Post#14 » Jul 24 2015 03:02

ShasODerpy wrote:All the small additions are a definite improvement
Do you have a shot from the underside of the weapon?
Just for you.
ImageImage
Myrdin wrote:That is actually a nice looking piece. Has that "modern laser weaponry" look to it you could see in the Sci fi movies 20 years ago.
One thing I would change however is the back part piece. I would make it bigger and more elaborate to give of the feeling that this is the battery/generator that produces the energy for the weapon ;)
This sucker is gonna be connected to a mech, that thing on the back is a capacitor at best the suit itself houses the reactor. Aesthetic wise, since it's a shoulder or arm mount for a broadside it has to keep a generally balanced profile much like the heavy rail rifles from the old model were.

modelglue wrote:Yep, I'd call that done. :)

I like the details you added, and I can see where the barrel area would be a bit tough to modify with my suggested additions. I do like where you placed the undulating details on the gun body.
I did my best to really make it feel linked in aesthetic. The barrel will get a paintjob to make it look more broken up but I think with this last round of details I can start chamfering edges and getting it ready to print.

Kael'yn wrote:To add details, maybe check our current weapons and design.
Or think of the weapon mechanism:
PAC = Particle Accelerators Cannon (following Tael idea): I want to see something that seems to "accelerate" a particle: coils, ribs, ... (check the look of Fallout M72 gauss rifle for a caricatural effect, but you can get the idea) on the two cylinders (without looking too Necron of course). And maybe subtle ventss or cooling system on the backside to add details to catch the light and paint.
IIRC the XV88 has also a "particle accelerator" (why ??? :roll: ) on its backside too. I don't know if you can borrow some features too.
I've see the experimental weapons done by the forum and I have taken some detail from them but one thing I've never been a big fan of is exposed coils or critical exposed parts, I tried to add in either a capacitor or heat sink look with the back of the weapon but I guess it doesn't come across as that. I really prefer keeping the battle and cylinders blank for paint work after production. I can see the need for a vent, maybe on top of the receiver where it's just a panel I could convert that into a vent so it would back blast overpressure gasses.

Okay so I don't know any tau profanity yet so I'll have to resort to my Gue'la ones, FETH IT, I thought I was done now the hamster's going again and I can't stop it til I make the mod.

Gee thank Kael'yn now I gotta go make it even better.

EDIT 0416 (I need sleep)

Only about 10 min to do the tweaks and I do have to say it does look better as a vent than a panel, vent points up and away from any other part of the suit to prevent damage.

Are you happy now Kael'yn? Cause I am after that edit. :D
Last edited by Shasfio on Jul 27 2015 10:32, edited 1 time in total.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui

Post#15 » Jul 24 2015 07:15

Shasfio wrote:Are you happy now Kael'yn? Cause I am after that edit. :D

It's your model so do as you want ;)
I just gave you some inputs.
Want another :P : Now that the back is full of nice details, the barrel sides looks very flat... Look at the BC on the stealth suits or the old plasma rifles : they added (useless ?) lines on the barrel
just to balance the details.

Shasfio
Shas'La

Post#16 » Jul 24 2015 04:33

Kael'yn wrote:It's your model so do as you want ;)
I just gave you some inputs.
Want another :P : Now that the back is full of nice details, the barrel sides looks very flat... Look at the BC on the stealth suits or the old plasma rifles : they added (useless ?) lines on the barrel
just to balance the details.

Okay I added some useless lines but since it's a rounded surface the jags don't look so nice there.

Also tried some detail in the barrel's channel but again kinda neutral on it, worried about how well it will cast up though.

Gonna just update this post a few times as I try different things.

Edit 0114

I tried going for the standard 3 hole slot and some little tweaks at the base of the barrel.
Last edited by Shasfio on Jul 27 2015 10:33, edited 1 time in total.

Shasfio
Shas'La

Post#17 » Jul 25 2015 07:16

New model new post to put a pin in the last one (pin may be pulled out if someone objects to the idea that the prior model is done, please speak up if you think so)

I got a nice energy weapon designed to be more spread out and high yield firing than the stream shot. Hoping people will enjoy the beggings.

Not sure how I'd do a shoulder mount with the cylinder, doubt I would.

Edit 0848

Had a neat idea of an engineer sealing the rotary chamber in a shielded cylinder of supercooled gas or liquid, both reducing exposed moving parts and ease cooling. Still may flip the muzzel but I think I like it there. Well the design is gonna go forward.
Last edited by Shasfio on Jul 27 2015 10:35, edited 2 times in total.

modelglue
Kor'El

Post#18 » Jul 25 2015 07:53

I'm really liking this series.

Would you consider a shoulder, elbow and joint companion model to go with these weapons? I am not sure if your intent was to print and cast these for sale as accessories, but I could see incorporating the weapons as is into the suits GW produces being an issue for some.

I like the version you've created here, the HYMP would be cooler IMO if it could be substituted with a weapon like this. Tastes permitting of course.

Return to “Modelling”