Advanced Armory Project

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Ifrit
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Advanced Armory Project

Post#71 » Aug 11 2015 12:37

Really loving your work especially the blade hands you have and that "knuckle duster".
For the turret why not keep the base and add a "lip" on the inside for the top piece to sit on?
And I agree with Calmsword about the armor plating.

Anyways that's just my two cents keep up the good work and I can't wait to see these in plastic. :biggrin:

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#72 » Aug 11 2015 12:44

And one last thing- could you try your hand at some Firewarrior conversion pieces? If I see another Space Marine blister upgrade pack I'm going to just... cry with frustration. :?
~Good Hunting

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#73 » Aug 11 2015 03:38

Y'know, for punching, I always liked the idea of adapting rail tech into a pile driver of sorts, like a certain iconic mech's most iconic attack...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlOoIMd9524 :P

Shasfio
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#74 » Aug 11 2015 10:24

Calmsword wrote:I think a really big thing that needs to happen is more 'tech bitz'

It's hard enough to get some of the more exotic targeters and equipment 'flare' from the broadside/stealth boxes- maybe you could try your hand at just making additional antennas ect.

I personally would love armor plating to upgrade regular suits as well as camera pods which you exampled earlier.
There are quite a number of tech pieces offered by some companies so I might do one or two more some time but I think there's a greater lack in weapons and other equipment. Armor for various company models is difficult due to the sharp and specific curves and angles on them and the sheer variety of bases to work off. I do plan to try but it's just really rough work.

Calmsword wrote:And one last thing- could you try your hand at some Firewarrior conversion pieces? If I see another Space Marine blister upgrade pack I'm going to just... cry with frustration. :?
Infantry also presents issues for me as cloth and complex curves can be an issue. I am thinking techy backpacks and comms for infantry, maybe weapons working with my buddy who does organics.

Shovi wrote:First of I got to say that i admire the pace and creativity of your work, Shasfio. I have not posted for years in this forum, but you made want to thank you for inspiring me and a lot of other People to improve their collections of miniatures. Now if you consider working on a full mech body, I strongly suggest you to have a look at LordDirk's concept art: http://advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=14884&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=lorddirk&start=340If any existing mecha concept was ever to be realised, i would wish it to be his. I hope his work will inspire you.
I've seen his work and I especially like certain aspects, but when I said mech body I was more referring to my Arowana head for a larger mech first. When I get around to 54mm scale mechs I certainly will take inspiration from LordDirk.

Ifrit wrote:Really loving your work especially the blade hands you have and that "knuckle duster".
For the turret why not keep the base and add a "lip" on the inside for the top piece to sit on?
And I agree with Calmsword about the armor plating.

Anyways that's just my two cents keep up the good work and I can't wait to see these in plastic. :biggrin:
"Buster" while it IS a knuckle duster, the term "knuckle buster" comes straight from the series of inspiration, also it reminds me of bunker buster which is what this does. The turret does have a lip where the gun mount sits into, and another on top of the gun mount for the sensor dome.

Orpheus Hangar wrote:Y'know, for punching, I always liked the idea of adapting rail tech into a pile driver of sorts, like a certain iconic mech's most iconic attack...
I was actually planning on on a spike driver instead of the knuckle buster, the idea of the buster is that those cylinders slam out giving an extra kinetic kick to the punch, considering the lack of space I'd figure it's some kind of mag accelerator to drive them.

More work will get posted here soon folks, not sure what's next but I promise something fun.

Edit 1349 And here's the fun I promised

A nice tri barrel inspired in part by David Drake's take on rapid fire weapons.

Edit 1423

Detail done and set for mounting.

TinkerTau 2.0
Shas

Post#75 » Aug 11 2015 07:29

Shasfio wrote:
Calmsword wrote:I think a really big thing that needs to happen is more 'tech bitz'

It's hard enough to get some of the more exotic targeters and equipment 'flare' from the broadside/stealth boxes- maybe you could try your hand at just making additional antennas ect.

I personally would love armor plating to upgrade regular suits as well as camera pods which you exampled earlier.
There are quite a number of tech pieces offered by some companies so I might do one or two more some time but I think there's a greater lack in weapons and other equipment. Armor for various company models is difficult due to the sharp and specific curves and angles on them and the sheer variety of bases to work off. I do plan to try but it's just really rough work.

Could you name a few of these companies that you speak of?
"Sometimes you feel like a Tau..., or else."

Shasfio
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#76 » Aug 12 2015 12:03

Okay folks time for a piece for my own edification.

A missile artillery setup for the turret

Still adding in a 3rd missile per side but this is a fun idea that's been rattling around my head for quite some time.

Edit 0203 finishing up

Here we have the finished artillery piece, the very thing that puts the fire in a firebase.

I figure that the tubes are removed and replaced to facilitate quick firing and area saturation.

Up next, who knows what.

Shasfio
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#77 » Aug 12 2015 01:24

New project new post folks, today we have a nice example pic and a brand new tool.

Here we have a nice display of weapons produced and keyed to the arm provided. I've redone the arm a bit to make it less blocky so that required redoing all they key points.

And with that I'm now working to add an additional Heavy Grenade Launcher to the mix.

I figure this will work well as something with a large impact radius and moderate strength. :D

I'll keep posting throughout the day, I want to try and finish this and get 1 or 2 more designs up since I'm not gonna be able to design Thursday.

Edit 1612

Pretty well and done with the grenade launcher, kind of a mix between an m203, m79, and a striker.

Next up probably a nice Cluster launcher for targets in concealment.

Edit 2039

The XM25 has always been an awesome idea and I felt compelled to design a version for this set.

Turned on it's side it can easily be shoulder mounted as a smart munitions weapon. Added to the Ion Caronnade (or the PAC) and the engine manifold cover I'll eventually set up a medium to heavy mech conversion kit.

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#78 » Aug 12 2015 11:48

The under slung grenade launcher is cool but I think it's losing the tau aesthetic. If it were more like the newer fragmentation launcher or the pulse carbine it'd be more tau.

Perhaps it's just the placement of the boxy sites.
~Good Hunting

Shasfio
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#79 » Aug 13 2015 09:23

Calmsword wrote:The under slung grenade launcher is cool but I think it's losing the tau aesthetic. If it were more like the newer fragmentation launcher or the pulse carbine it'd be more tau.

WHOOPS! Those sights were supposed to be edited and chamfered for a sleeker look. Nice catch though, I'll fix it tonight or tomorrow when I start again.

Question for the crowd though. Is anyone but me interested in "closed" missile bays? Like hinged door missile launchers in the shut position like this?

In all likelihood I wouldn't hinge the doors but it would still be fairly clear as a launcher of some kind.

Deepstrike
Shas

Post#80 » Aug 13 2015 09:34

Shasfio wrote:
Calmsword wrote:The under slung grenade launcher is cool but I think it's losing the tau aesthetic. If it were more like the newer fragmentation launcher or the pulse carbine it'd be more tau.

WHOOPS! Those sights were supposed to be edited and chamfered for a sleeker look. Nice catch though, I'll fix it tonight or tomorrow when I start again.

Question for the crowd though. Is anyone but me interested in "closed" missile bays? Like hinged door missile launchers in the shut position like this?

In all likelihood I wouldn't hinge the doors but it would still be fairly clear as a launcher of some kind.

YES!!!! Oops.... Was that my outside voice? Also, that PAC weapon of yours, holy cow! Wow, that's amazing! Between you and Paulson, if/when I'm able to order again, I'll be broke!!!

MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

Post#81 » Aug 13 2015 10:11

Shasfio wrote:Question for the crowd though. Is anyone but me interested in "closed" missile bays? Like hinged door missile launchers in the shut position like this?

Oh yes. While the simplistic domed missiles of the XV's are nice in their own way, I prefer the GBP style boxes with hatch detail myself. Paulson's Mechafront miniatures and accessories also sport this style and they look great on the '88.

Chris in the socal
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#82 » Aug 13 2015 12:01

I'm just in love . Every thing you make I want. I am praying for a kickstarter of whatever it take for these mech parts to come to me. I love the detail you pit into all of these weapons.
TAU Record 9-2-4

Is That A Sunfish? (Coming Soon)

Shas'o Sithe
Shas'Saal

Post#83 » Aug 13 2015 12:12

Shasfio wrote:Once again new project new post.

Here we have some nice tools to get you in close with your target.

Starting with a single blade, I figure mostly people will simply touch down the edge and paint this in some nice neon colors as an energy blade.

Down here we have better detail and a different blade (both to be available) The system is a unique hand, forearm shield, and blade all slotted and easily to assemble.

I've always thought that once you get to a certain tech level it's less mass and kinetic force and more energy fields etc. So I thought about it and said what the heck and did both. First we have the energy field generators lining the sides of the gauntlet, followed by the larger casing with a "knuckle buster" (thank you Masami Obari) inspired design. I figure it works on amplification of kinetic force, less zappy more just crunch.
ImageImage

Still having a hard time getting that plasma torch design onto paper,mini gatling, major gatling, and then maybe a mech head or two. I'm not sure where to go from there, maybe I'll finish a full mech body for that head. Maybe I could do a mech portable mortar or maybe a mini submunition system.

Ideas anyone?

I've always pictured the fusion blades like the omni blade in mass effect.

Just an idea to go off from...

SinisterSamurai
Kor'La
Kor'La

Post#84 » Aug 13 2015 04:43

Shasfio wrote:ImageImage

I like this. I would definitely use this as an Onegar Gauntlet, and I might even put it on a Big-O style pile driver arm.
Shasfio wrote:Image

As someone else pointed out, the diagonal cylinders underneath will help it blend in nicely with some of the Paulson parts I'll be getting, and help tie portions of my army together. It's also just a good design.

Warhound
Shas

Post#85 » Aug 14 2015 07:02

Ok- favourites so far:
(in order of awesomeness!)
Big Gun (ion with triple chambered magazine)- please do make this- a great alternate for a Riptide!
Mag Rifle
Ion Carronade
Turret
Burst cannon
Knuckle Buster

Missile pod alternates with open hatches would be my vote (camfered rod ends for the missiles)

Keep this up sir, you can have my cash too (Paulson already has lots of mine! lol)

all the best

Warhound
www.resinaddict.com .... go on, you know you need to!

Shasfio
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#86 » Aug 14 2015 01:22

Okay folks here's the start of the rocket propelled munitions, first the hard hitting dumbfires means for standard rigging.

I wanted something simple so I pulled inspiration from classic Macross designs and came up with this. I might tweak it a little bit before casting but it's pretty well and done, it's not meant to have a wealth of detail due to it's size, not even 17mm long and each hatch is a little fraction bigger than the rockets we're used to.

The next one is gonna be a basic 6 slot rectangle to be prepped with smart munitions. I'm also gonna tweak the arm just a hair to make mounting other people weapons a bit easier.

Edit 1522

Okay step one for the smart munitions. Open may come someday but for now I'm just gonna go with sealed for simplicity's sake.
Last edited by Shasfio on Aug 14 2015 02:24, edited 1 time in total.

Deepstrike
Shas

Post#87 » Aug 14 2015 01:42

Ok, now you're going too far!!! How am I supposed to abstain from purchasing if you're going this route?

Now all you have to do is design the launchers that form to the contours of the crisis suits and I'll be a deadman.... Wife'll kill me. :neutral: :::(

Shasfio
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#88 » Aug 14 2015 03:21

Okay now I may pull the panel lines but I kind of like the idea of each section being self contained.

I got one more idea to setup for rockets before I take a break. Class for me starts monday and hopefully I'll still find plenty of time to work on these.

Edit 1646

Deepstrike wrote:Ok, now you're going too far!!! How am I supposed to abstain from purchasing if you're going this route?

Now all you have to do is design the launchers that form to the contours of the crisis suits and I'll be a deadman.... Wife'll kill me. :neutral: :::(
While I dunno about specifically designing parts for other companies' models I do have this design specced for attaching to a model's shoulder and inspired again by Macross with the smart packs they used to have.

Well that's 3 missile packs for you folks. I can guarantee you that when I get around to designing a medium mech it will be taking inspiration from Shoji Kawamori and Masamune Shirow mechanical designs.

Edit 1811

Alternate version of the 2nd rocket set.

Return to “Modelling”