Advanced Armory Project

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Advanced Armory Project

Post#55 » Aug 02 2015 08:03

I was just thinking about a flying assault transport for the Tau, and that drop ship like vehicle you designed is way cool.

Just imagine the front opening like a hatch and 2 teams of crisis suits rapidly inserting, maybe on a world or area where deepstriking was not possible.

Another great design, and I will be checking out those weapons on the link you shared.

Thanks for all the work and sharing your ideas.

Deepstrike
Shas

Post#56 » Aug 02 2015 10:30

That "dropship" is actually a counts as XV-104 model he's been working on. ;) that being said, it does have the beginnings of a very cool dropship type vehicle. Perhaps he might consider it?

It would probably need to be a little bit bigger, and of course a slightly different weapons upgrade/load out, but other than that, it could work out well.

Shasfio
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#57 » Aug 02 2015 01:44

Deepstrike wrote:That "dropship" is actually a counts as XV-104 model he's been working on. ;) that being said, it does have the beginnings of a very cool dropship type vehicle. Perhaps he might consider it?

It would probably need to be a little bit bigger, and of course a slightly different weapons upgrade/load out, but other than that, it could work out well.
If I was to do a drop ship it would likely be a cross between a huey, an orca, and the drop ship from aliens.

But let me put a pin in that as I still need a lot of practice and even more capital for something like that.

Also realized last night I still have to do a unique weapon for the mech head as I wanted it to have something bigger that the ion carronade pictured on it now.

Update with the mech head.

Okay now all parts I and my partner designed out of plasticard now are 3d designed and are almost set up for producing masters.

Shasfio
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#58 » Aug 03 2015 06:48

Okay head's done so new design new post to break things up.

Attempting a new aesthetic with this pulse cannon while staying with the look of my sculpts to date. Trying to keep the weapon long enough to give an autocannon or ma deuce length in comparison to the head.

Weapon mounts will come after this job, then a nice plasma torch and a snub nosed autocannon for a smaller mech.

BTW folks, I'm looking for a set of the FW tau battlefleet gothic models. PM if you have any bare resin ones.

Edit 1040

Added in the gun mount, it's a 2 piece so it can be modeled traversing or elevating to a degree.

Next I'm gonna do a weapon mount that attaches to the disc piece that will attach to "miscellaneous" equipment that I'm sure can be found by builders.

Edit 1105

Generic mount is done and will fit a multitude of other weapons.

All I need left is a few tweaks on the main gun (not sure if it has enough gubbins, what do you folks think)

The Disc portion has a small peg while both the generic and cannon mount have a hole for universal attachment, maybe even magging.

I still wanna do a nice big 3 barrel rotary cannon as a main point, maybe useing the same reciever for ease.

DiMu
Shas

Post#59 » Aug 04 2015 05:21

Hey dude, nice work as always!
I just don't like that much the hexagonal barrel end on the last rifle you pictured. I know tau like sharp shapes, but it seems to me that almost every weapon of their armory (except the railgun, must say) have round barrels... Just think about it and keep working on this awesome project you began!

Have fun

Lord Mayhem
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#60 » Aug 04 2015 10:36

DiMu wrote:I just don't like that much the hexagonal barrel end on the last rifle you pictured. I know tau like sharp shapes, but it seems to me that almost every weapon of their armory (except the railgun, must say) have round barrels...

Other exceptions:
Fusion Blaster
Ion weapons (Part carved, part Angular)
Airburst Frag Projector

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#61 » Aug 04 2015 10:43

Shasfio wrote:All I need left is a few tweaks on the main gun (not sure if it has enough gubbins, what do you folks think)

The Disc portion has a small peg while both the generic and cannon mount have a hole for universal attachment, maybe even magging.

I still wanna do a nice big 3 barrel rotary cannon as a main point, maybe useing the same reciever for ease.

First off, I've been stalking your work with great interest and I would love to see it become available for purchase. You have a great talent for creating aesthetically pleasing instruments of destruction. I have had a lot of weapon designs floating around in my head for awhile, but none of the design skills or time to learn, but at the rate you're going, I won't need to learn :P

As for the gubbins, I think this one could use some form of a small targeting array on the rear (either top or outward facing side) or some raised details along the slanted flat portion on the top of the rear assembly. Perhaps similar to an assault rifle rail system? I hope any of that makes sense.

But overall, like the rest of your designs so far, I think it looks great and the finished product will be amazing.

Shasfio
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#62 » Aug 04 2015 10:54

Lord Mayhem wrote:
DiMu wrote:I just don't like that much the hexagonal barrel end on the last rifle you pictured. I know tau like sharp shapes, but it seems to me that almost every weapon of their armory (except the railgun, must say) have round barrels...

Other exceptions:
Fusion Blaster
Ion weapons (Part carved, part Angular)
Airburst Frag Projector
Actually the Fusion blaster has an angled case and receiver but it's muzzles are round, and the new AFP has a rounded barrel rather than the old tri prong.

I went with the Hex barrel after flipping through a couple of old armory books and staring at the pistols as well as a few rare cannons. I'm trying a new aesthetic that's compatible rather than derivative of tau tech.

This is going to end up being a short barreled autocannon for mechs, the hex muzzle brake is designed from several tactical brakes for rifles. I figure a mech uses an autocannon in close and would probably be able to swing it like a weapon.

Still got the Plasma Torch and maybe a smaller scale 3 barrel rotary, I know how much people love rate of fire.

Tearphoenix wrote:First off, I've been stalking your work with great interest and I would love to see it become available for purchase. You have a great talent for creating aesthetically pleasing instruments of destruction. I have had a lot of weapon designs floating around in my head for awhile, but none of the design skills or time to learn, but at the rate you're going, I won't need to learn :P

As for the gubbins, I think this one could use some form of a small targeting array on the rear (either top or outward facing side) or some raised details along the slanted flat portion on the top of the rear assembly. Perhaps similar to an assault rifle rail system? I hope any of that makes sense.
Well Like I said I am interested in doing custom designs if you wanna PM me, I can work from pics or one off minis. If you have ideas in your head I can help get em out.

I can understand thinking about a targeting bit for the top of this one but it's a vehicle mounted cannon, I think it just doesnt fit while mounted on top of the arowana head. If I move it to another unit I'll probably mount an extra diely bob or two on there.

Edit 1246

Edit up with the arm and the beginnings of the reciever. I'm thinking a cylinder magazine mounted on the back of the weapon. Also thinking of going caseless and not having an ejection port.

Edit 1326

Okay looks like the weapon is done, access panels on top and bottom, ammo cylinder, other gubbins. Again keyed to the arm which can easily be shaved off, as well as having connection points on either side. I was thinking a cross between a modern tac rifle and a bushmaster with caseless design worked in.

Edit 0100

Still not sure if the Auto is done yet so no new post.

New minor project though, an engine manifold cover, for modifying medium grade mechs into heavy grade.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#63 » Aug 07 2015 03:37

Just to cheer you.

Your work is featured on Spikey Bits.
http://www.spikeybits.com/2015/08/pimp-your-tau-new-3d-bits-spotted.html

Hex muzzle:
Linear accelerator (Laplace effect) need two rails and pushing magnets. Rails can be flat and magnet ducts too.

But I agree: it feel strange on Tau weapons.

AFP: Why not looking after a kind of Spinfusor from the Tribes videogame ? with a disc that split in parts for the "shrapnel" effect ?

For ammo barrels, we have already some cylinders (fusion, plasma, burst) and boxes (pulse rifle&carbines).
Why not a "Hex" container ;-)

Shasfio
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#64 » Aug 07 2015 04:46

Kael'yn wrote:Just to cheer you.

Your work is featured on Spikey Bits.
http://www.spikeybits.com/2015/08/pimp-your-tau-new-3d-bits-spotted.html

Hex muzzle:
Linear accelerator (Laplace effect) need two rails and pushing magnets. Rails can be flat and magnet ducts too.

But I agree: it feel strange on Tau weapons.

AFP: Why not looking after a kind of Spinfusor from the Tribes videogame ? with a disc that split in parts for the "shrapnel" effect ?

For ammo barrels, we have already some cylinders (fusion, plasma, burst) and boxes (pulse rifle&carbines).
Why not a "Hex" container ;-)
Believe it or not I talked directly to Rob and he just offered up to post my stuff up, now I gotta keep the blog running faster while waiting for my first test prototype to get finished.

The Hex barrel on the larger gun is inspired by old sci fi and revolver and cannon designs, as it's intended for that specific mech which already has it's own aesthetic I'm apt to leave that one in place. That said, what the people want the people get and future designs will stick to round barrels.

I never played tribes, I was primarily a console gamer until the mid to late aughts. If you can find me some pics I wouldn't mind the inspiration.

Hex mags just don't fit well in my head most of the time, I can see maybe a mostly rectangular mag with hex shape but why not just box it then. Rounded magazines fit with circular ammo feeds or when it needs to fit the profile of the weapon. I'll take a couple of wrench whacks at the idea and see if it falls in together.

I'm trying to establish a new aesthetic inspired by multiple sources. I'd especially love my mech to be a stand alone product for people to enjoy.

And since I have a bug up my 4th point of contact I've decided I need a turret of some kind.

I wanna do a setup like it's an artillery base holding a set of 6 kukri missiles to function in a long range support role. I'm also going to setup a direct fire paired guns with a nice targeter set for point defense.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#65 » Aug 08 2015 07:29

Shasfio wrote:I never played tribes, I was primarily a console gamer until the mid to late aughts. If you can find me some pics I wouldn't mind the inspiration.

Plenty of images with google and "tribes spinfusor" (I prefer the tribes 2 model, but it's the concept that I found interesting)
like:
You have a "plasma disc" spinning: nothing prevent to launch it like a mortar (one of the two mode of the game disc IIRC) and the plasma "splashes" on impact to mimic the AFP mechanism. So you remove the "ammo" problem ;-)
The game disc also bounce on surface too if my memory is good (It's been a while since I played it).

What size is the turret cradle ? Drone / Hhead or Skyray axle or Hhead turret wide ?
It seems to close to Tau/FW aesthetic (the 3 struts aside). The body could be more edged, or ribbed, or wedged. I can imagine a 3 shells similar to the piranha front hull around a smaller central body (the shells retracts in a cone-shaped bottom, then are launched from orbit, with retro-thruster under the deployed shells to land on terrain).

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#66 » Aug 08 2015 08:25

Ohmy... that turret!
That would be a great Quad-Gun for an Aegis line (depending on size, ForgeWorld turrets are much too large, for example)

I'm no expert on casting/printing (in fact, call me clueless). But might I suggest hollowing out it's central section? This might save you on material cost. (when cast/print in bulk).
Shas'O 50mm, the Foresighted
WIP Tau

Shasfio
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#67 » Aug 10 2015 10:23

ShasODerpy wrote:Ohmy... that turret!
That would be a great Quad-Gun for an Aegis line (depending on size, ForgeWorld turrets are much too large, for example)

I'm no expert on casting/printing (in fact, call me clueless). But might I suggest hollowing out it's central section? This might save you on material cost. (when cast/print in bulk).
Its larger than a Games Workshop Quad-Gun but around similar height. I'm going for aesthetic over functionality for this design.

The Bottom actually IS hollow, been trying to find ways to lower prototype production costs.

I've added a part for the turret mount and a spot to place the sensor array up top.

Here's an example of it's elevation capability when equipped with cannons. Although I had to elevate the central mount.

Edit 1417

Got a few new pics with the Energy weapons mounted, these will simply mount to the side if you wish flat surface to the peg slot. EVENTUALLY, I'll create a separate mount dedicated for them OR I'll create a dedicated weapon for the turret. The weapon still has the arm mounts seen earlier and you'll have to trim the forward one off (a few mm of sanding) and the back weapon mount mates up to the turret weapon mount so you can get symmetry. Other weapons have pegs to mount them clearly and easily to their mount. With the Ion weapon it also can rotate a full 360x360 as a good piece of AAA should.

And underneath showing the hollow. The final product may be filled in but for prototyping I need it hollow to save money.

For those who are wondering right now the model is around 60mm tall give or take and it's base is 64mm wide at it's broadest, under 60 at it's narrowest (struts make it kinda odd that way).

Now, who's up for a nice powerful looking energy blade on a fist probably intended for anti tank actions?

Shasfio
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#68 » Aug 10 2015 06:49

Once again new project new post.

Here we have some nice tools to get you in close with your target.

Starting with a single blade, I figure mostly people will simply touch down the edge and paint this in some nice neon colors as an energy blade.

Down here we have better detail and a different blade (both to be available) The system is a unique hand, forearm shield, and blade all slotted and easily to assemble.

I've always thought that once you get to a certain tech level it's less mass and kinetic force and more energy fields etc. So I thought about it and said what the heck and did both. First we have the energy field generators lining the sides of the gauntlet, followed by the larger casing with a "knuckle buster" (thank you Masami Obari) inspired design. I figure it works on amplification of kinetic force, less zappy more just crunch.
ImageImage

Still having a hard time getting that plasma torch design onto paper,mini gatling, major gatling, and then maybe a mech head or two. I'm not sure where to go from there, maybe I'll finish a full mech body for that head. Maybe I could do a mech portable mortar or maybe a mini submunition system.

Ideas anyone?

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#69 » Aug 10 2015 07:57

I think a really big thing that needs to happen is more 'tech bitz'

It's hard enough to get some of the more exotic targeters and equipment 'flare' from the broadside/stealth boxes- maybe you could try your hand at just making additional antennas ect.

I personally would love armor plating to upgrade regular suits as well as camera pods which you exampled earlier.
~Good Hunting

Shovi
Shas

Post#70 » Aug 10 2015 10:21

First of I got to say that i admire the pace and creativity of your work, Shasfio. I have not posted for years in this forum, but you made want to thank you for inspiring me and a lot of other People to improve their collections of miniatures. Now if you consider working on a full mech body, I strongly suggest you to have a look at LordDirk's concept art: http://advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=14884&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=lorddirk&start=340
If any existing mecha concept was ever to be realised, i would wish it to be his. I hope his work will inspire you.

Ifrit
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#71 » Aug 11 2015 12:37

Really loving your work especially the blade hands you have and that "knuckle duster".
For the turret why not keep the base and add a "lip" on the inside for the top piece to sit on?
And I agree with Calmsword about the armor plating.

Anyways that's just my two cents keep up the good work and I can't wait to see these in plastic. :biggrin:

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#72 » Aug 11 2015 12:44

And one last thing- could you try your hand at some Firewarrior conversion pieces? If I see another Space Marine blister upgrade pack I'm going to just... cry with frustration. :?
~Good Hunting

Return to “Modelling”