Advanced Armory Project

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Shasfio
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Heavy Weapon Armory Project

Post#37 » Jul 29 2015 01:18

Calmsword wrote:Alright alright- are these up for sale? Will they be? We're getting dangerously close to 'S...Up and Take My Money' status.
These are not up for sale.... yet. They will be eventually and that eventually will hopefully be soon.

I'm glad I'm getting these kind of responses. i've been a plasticard hobbyist for a while but more often I swapped parts. This is really my first venture into drafting and production.

Right now I still have the Phalanx type system, now I have mech heads on my plate, and I'm also thinking of some kind of armor cutter, like a plasma torch as a mech weapon.

As always looking for inspiration and ideas from the crowd.

Warhound
Shas

Post#38 » Jul 29 2015 04:24

Well, I am chucking notes and coins at the screen and nothing appears to be happening?!

Great work fella! Loving all these designs, and I have one question:

Do you think you will be providing the weapon variants as scaled versions for Riptide, then Broadside and then Crisis?

I love the variation of the Heavy Ion rifle and think that this would make a great proxy for the existing Ion Nova on the Riptide- much more streamlined in my opinion.
EDIT: I REALLY love the triple pronged ammo feed in the first sketches... perhaps another variant?

carry on, and I will spend.

all the best

Warhound
www.resinaddict.com .... go on, you know you need to!

MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

Post#39 » Jul 29 2015 05:11

Wow that rail gun is looking mighty fine!

Warhound wrote:I love the variation of the Heavy Ion rifle and think that this would make a great proxy for the existing Ion Nova on the Riptide- much more streamlined in my opinion.

100% agree with Warhound here.

You are really kicking down all the doors here. At a stunning rate too. :fear:

DiMu
Shas

Post#40 » Jul 29 2015 07:29

Day by day I am more interested on this project! Nice work on the fins and the railgun as well! Tuned in for further good news!!!

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#41 » Jul 29 2015 08:17

Shasfio wrote:A nice rail gun scaled for a medium mech, both with and without arm mount. I found a nice and cool way to start setting up the weapons to have a keyed point to attach the arm so I can do either separate pieces or single, and also I'm now able to simply do arms with defined fingers for those who'd like them.

I like the railguns cylinder (Ammo/energy?)on it's rear, much like the Pathfinder RailRifle.
I still feel like it's missing something though. Perhaps again looking at the Pathfinder RailRifle, a "ring" around the barrel, roughly halfway or 2/3's along it's lenght.

As for setting up the pieces in seperate "keyed" components, I'd definatly suggest the hands to be seperate from the gun (helps with magnetizing).
A "shoulder-piece" or "shield" would then make for a really nice Arm set.

Shasfio wrote:On a separate note, I'd like to know if people are subscribing to this topic and waiting for posts or are you just checking for updates periodically. I'm interested because I can change my update system to simply post updates as new posts or I can continue to update single posts until someone else has commented. Lemme know what works for the crowd.

My guess is, both.
It might be beneficial to store all of your designs in your first post (or risk them getting "lost" after thread reaches a large page count), then post a new reply saying you have updated the first post.

-Derp

Edit: some more text
Shas'O 50mm, the Foresighted
WIP Tau

Shasfio
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#42 » Jul 29 2015 12:44

Okay cleaned up some designs and split the Ion weapon's hand apart to allow for magnetizing or other forms of weapon swapping.

As you can see I've keyed the top for mounting the weapon on the arm provided. The keys are only .5mm high so enough to keep the weapon mostly in place when pegged or magged but low enough to be easily sanded down if you want to mount it in other ways.

I tried to set up the rail to mount from either side or on the base of my designed arm.

So far we have the Mag Rifle, Particle Accelerator Cannon, Kukri Missile, and Ion Carronade. Still plotting out the phalanx system, plasma torch, and maybe an automatic grenade launcher (think MK19 but more direct fire like 25mm rounds)

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#43 » Jul 29 2015 01:31

So far so good...

Maybe a suggestion about the ion muzzle: If you can manage to separate it from the weapon and able to assemble with a square peg, it will satisfy people like me who prefer the ion muzzle flipped vertically. I know it's somewhat easy to cut and reassemble, but it can be practical if you cut it before casting.
By splitting these pieces, you can also cast the muzzle pit more deeper too.

Oh, and it seems it lacks some details on its flat (top) side: panel engraving, ...

As for magnets, you can predrill two 3mm holes (as centering the drill after casting can be tricky), so people who can afford it can attach 4x magnets and others can use 2x magnets and a slice of rounded plastic sprue as a positionning peg.
I'm not a fan of the tiny positionning chunks on the model, as they can easily be sanded/snapped/miscast.

Shasfio
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#44 » Jul 29 2015 01:40

Kael'yn wrote:So far so good...

Maybe a suggestion about the ion muzzle: If you can manage to separate it from the weapon and able to assemble with a square peg, it will satisfy people like me who prefer the ion muzzle flipped vertically. I know it's somewhat easy to cut and reassemble, but it can be practical if you cut it before casting.
By splitting these pieces, you can also cast the muzzle pit more deeper too.

As for magnets, you can predrill two 3mm holes (as centering the drill after casting can be tricky), so people who can afford it can attach 4x magnets and others can use 2x magnets and a slice of rounded plastic sprue as a positionning peg.
I'm not a fan of the tiny positionning chunks on the model, as they can easily be sanded/snapped/miscast.
I can understand that but the issue with that is the fact that so many different sized magnets are used, I'd rather leave it open for modelers to adjust as they see fit. But I will double check the possibility of your idea. Although I could setup 2 small pilot divots in the top which would be easily erased or filled by those who didn't want them, to facilitate centering the drill

I'm already looking for a way to do the muzzle flip in system so I'll let you folks know how it goes.

Shasfio
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#45 » Jul 29 2015 10:11

Okay new post for new design.

Working on this idea for autotracking rotary cannons, imagine a direct fire version of the naval phalanx.

Gonna try and finish this tonight.

Edit 0001

Sensor dome housing an ai to direct fire.

Arrays assisting in targeting acquisition even through debris and rubble.

Edit 0107

Adding panel lines and gubbins as well as an attachment point on the bottom. Not using the keyed style of other ones as this is a more loose piece of equipment.

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#46 » Jul 30 2015 01:25

If you could just make that camera pod an option- that's better than the target lock bit I've been using for years.

I have a question- would you try your hand at the Onager Gauntlet? Have you seen Xeones?

http://advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20893
~Good Hunting

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#47 » Jul 30 2015 06:31

Shasfio wrote:I can understand that but the issue with that is the fact that so many different sized magnets are used, I'd rather leave it open for modelers to adjust as they see fit. But I will double check the possibility of your idea. Although I could setup 2 small pilot divots in the top which would be easily erased or filled by those who didn't want them, to facilitate centering the drill

Puppetwars use 3x1mm magnets for small objects and I found too that these are the right "price vs size vs force" ratio for crisis weapons (2x1mm snap too easily), and can even lock the weapon rotation more efficiently without using a peg (the roughness of the contact surface is enough).
The key is to add some way to center the drills for those who want to add magnets: predrills, carved cross or points, ... I had hard time to put magnets at the right place on XV9 fusion cascades after separating the weapon from the arm (to build swappable custom dual BC harnesses).

Shasfio wrote:I'm already looking for a way to do the muzzle flip in system so I'll let you folks know how it goes.

Nice, because the current ions are rounded side up (ion rifles and hammerhead) or on both up and down (riptide)

Calmsword wrote:If you could just make that camera pod an option- that's better than the target lock bit I've been using for years.

+1
I feel our Target Lock must looks more like the rotating designating device of military helicopters (Kiowa/Longbow/Tiger rotor mast, or nose turrets of Apache, ...)
Your ball shaped is kind of odd in shape when compared to our turrets, but I like the concept.

My only interrogation about your last weapon concept is its design vs purpose:
If you seek to replace SMS with more ammo stuff, I suggest to provide a concept of weapon not too close to the BC "gatling style": SMS are autotracking and ignore LOS.
Perhaps a kind of mini-drone launcher: the mini-drone fly to its target, unload a salvo of pulse fire (thus ignoring cover as it can fly where LOS is clear) then return to the launcher for repair/refuel/reload.
(I've tested this idea with some pulse weapon bits and a crisis shield once, but was frustrated to not find the right Tau feel)

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#48 » Jul 30 2015 08:26

Calmsword wrote:If you could just make that camera pod an option- that's better than the target lock bit I've been using for years.

I have a question- would you try your hand at the Onager Gauntlet? Have you seen Xeones?

http://advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20893

I am in perfect agreement with Calmsword. and I'll add to his request. Would you attempt an Onager Gauntlet?
The camera pod has a very interesting look to it. I never use any of the GW Targetlock bits, they just look out of place.

-Derp
Shas'O 50mm, the Foresighted
WIP Tau

Shasfio
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#49 » Jul 31 2015 12:27

Well you folks asked and I answer. Here's the sensor dome alone and I may add some more cylinder underneath it to raise it up a bit but I think it's fine as is.

I'm probably gonna take a small break from weapons and move back to mechs. The Arowana was pretty nice as a conversion but I'm thinking I need to try it as a stand alone design. I'll rename the thread and keep posting under Advanced Armory Project.

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Advanced Armory Project

Post#50 » Jul 31 2015 07:39

all these designs are really neat. wish i had your skill.

I may have missed it in this thread, sorry if I did, but how can I get these?

Also if you are taking requests, I've always disliked the ion gun on the barracuda.

Keep up the great work.

Chris in the socal
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#51 » Jul 31 2015 09:54

I am loving these weapons. I can't wait to see what your endgame plan is with them.
TAU Record 9-2-4

Is That A Sunfish? (Coming Soon)

Shasfio
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#52 » Jul 31 2015 11:05

Well here's the sample of the next big thing I'm working on.

A new mech head better sculpted with nice and clear edges and components.

Edit 0112

Finished blocking out the head now rigging detail.

Edit 0348

More detail and bottom view.

Edit 1041

Modded to add the sensor dome and a well for it to fit into.

Edit 1159

Added the blocked out weapon

Edit 1237

L&O classic is such great background noise for this work. Added details to weapon mounts, (still need turreted mounts proper) and pasted weapons over to show how it will look. Not sure if I want to add more detail to the mounts.

imran_tauyab
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#53 » Aug 01 2015 07:27

I really like the missile boxes.

I've been thinking about making some out of plasticard and putting them on a Skyray.
Hailing from Sept Elsy'eir

Shasfio
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#54 » Aug 02 2015 03:50

Okay no design update tonight but I do have a progress report for you eager folks.

I spent a good deal 9f tike prepping the models for shapeways, which you folks can view here. These models are mostly only up so I can get prototypes usijg their new EXTREEME detail material (fetching arowana head is too big). Now as soon as I can get my income going again (mid september) I'm going to restock on rubber, resin, and get all these prototypes printed up so I can start mass production.

On that note about income, it has come to my attention that some of you would like to commission me for custom work. I am more than happy to take certain comissions for 3D printable renders so long as I retain shared and equal rights to said design after you get it (means both parties, comissioner and comissionie can change, or sell the item as they please)

So if you want a unique part give me a PM and let's negotiate. Comissions would certainly speed up this production process.

Return to “Modelling”