Ironsky's Battlesuit Conversions

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Ironsky's Battlesuit Conversions

Post#1 » Oct 18 2015 11:38

First up some tweaks to the classic XV8 design, heavily inspired by Forgeword's 81, 84 and 89 variants. These are rough drafts, and are designed to be cast (the green on the head is modelling clay, not green stuff).

The shoulders are carved plastiboard, with internal portions of the original shoulders. The head is a regular XV8 head, extended slightly, and smoothed into shape with modelling clay.

Last edited by Ironsky on Apr 16 2017 01:40, edited 4 times in total.

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Ironsky's Battlesuit Conversions -painted XV8

Post#2 » Oct 19 2015 03:56

Having only just realised that GW is about to release new crisis suits I have put (many) photos of my first squad in my project log viewtopic.php?f=46&t=23792

Here is a single painted suit...

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Ironsky's Battlesuit Conversions-XV104 Heavy burst cannon

Post#3 » Apr 16 2017 01:12

My Riptide project has taken quite a bit longer than originally anticipated, but I'm starting to get to the stage where I can show a few pictures starting with the heavy burst cannon. I much prefer the look of the XV25 enclosed burst cannon, and as you can see from my XV8s (pictured above) I am carrying this theme across the board:

To achieve this I took the barrel components Image
and shaved the detail flat with the six barrels Image
I cut three pointed spokes from the sprue material Image
and fitted each of these between the three barrel components (Dry-fitting either end of the assembly at this stage)
ImageThis served to save on green stuff during the next stage, where I covered the whole thing in green stuff
This took several days, alternately filing and filling until a smooth surface was achieved. Then, dry-fitting the base plate to check cohesion I used a hobby saw to carve in the desired detail, and drilled holes in either end to countersink the cog detail, which I had press moulded from the lower leg of the Riptide.
ImageThat done the whole assembly was glued together.

I aim to be working on leg posing next so watch this space. C&C welcome as always

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Re: Ironsky's Battlesuit Conversions

Post#4 » Apr 17 2017 12:02

Completely agree with this modification, seems nuts to expose the rotary barrels given the amount of incoming fire this battlesuit would incur on the battlefield (let alone the power of said incoming fire)

Great explanation to on the technique :)

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Apr 18 2017 11:40

Thanks Tael aside from aesthetics I think the decision was probably a throwback to the 12 year old me really struggling to paint the insides of the exposed barrels, leaving me with a hatred of the design ever since, but yes functionality etc...

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#6 » Apr 18 2017 06:09

Hahaha.. yah I can understand that - loathed it also. On XV8 suits I added a 5th barrel in the centre (sort of rotary axel if you will) that hid some of that internal painting. :)

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Ironsky's Battlesuit Conversions-XV104 legs

Post#7 » Apr 23 2017 02:11

I hadn't thought of that. That would have saved on a lot of green stuff! :P

I've made a start on the lower half of the Riptide, copying Tearphoenix's conversion, giving extra thrusters to the suits calves.

As promised I have been experimenting with posing, and have come up with this as a preliminary position
Nothing too showy, but hopefully with more of a sense of speed.

Looking at it now, the larger-than-stock base does look a bit excessive, but I'm hoping that with the rest of the battlesuit, the base won't look too empty.

More next weekend...

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Apr 23 2017 04:20

You can't beat a slate hero rock. I personally don't think the base looks too big.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » Apr 23 2017 08:37

That base is humongous lol. It'll make gameplay a challenge. And that left foot looks a bit wonky too. I would've angled it slightly more to the left.
The days of goodly English is went
Ziss old dog still has a few tricks!

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#10 » Apr 24 2017 06:28

Aye, I'd rotate that left hoof - however the pose is great, sort of pounding forward laying waste :D

The calf boosters are a great addition! :D

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#11 » Apr 24 2017 09:21

I'm glad someone else is making use of my riptide conversion! I was actually doing some final sanding and dry-fitting on mine last night. I like how cleanly you have merged the thrusters into the legs.

As for the base and posing, I think the base really adds an extra dimension. It looks like it is starting to tell a story, especially since your pose implies forward motion. I think the extra space really reinforces that your Riptide is going somewhere with a purpose. I may end up using a similar sized base for mine after seeing yours.

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#12 » Apr 24 2017 11:51

Thanks all! Yes that hoof definitely needs re-positioning, otherwise we are probably looking at more of a sprained robotic ankle, rather than the running motion I was aiming for.

Tearphoenix it was such a good idea I just had to include it! I shaved off more of the detail than you did, but I couldn't get hold of the upgrade/cowling that you used.

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Ironsky's Battlesuit Conversions-XV104 shoulders

Post#13 » May 02 2017 01:05

Some modifications to the Riptide shoulder armour this week.
I took the 'stock' pauldrons
and cut the sides off
then cut the top portion off the Broadside thigh armour
and stuck the thich armour onto the shoulder armour (some extra shaving from the shoulder armour my be required)
Then built up a nice curved profile with green stuff
A green stuff press mould of the Fire caste symbol from the chest panel of the Riptide finished the left shoulder pad.

Cheers

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#14 » May 03 2017 09:49

Those shoulder pads look great. Very well thought out. Also, good idea with the green stuff mold. I was just thinking last night that the Broadside kit may be my favorite model for kitbashing other Tau pieces and then I saw this!

Do I spy some custom work on the front and thrusters of your Riptide?

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#15 » May 03 2017 03:20

Thanks Tearphoenix! Yes they are (almost) the perfect size for this job. I have an idea in mind for extra thrusters on XV25 made from the Broadside shoulder weapon mounts, that I'm sure will find their way on to this thread at some stage...

Tearphoenix wrote:...Do I spy some custom work on the front and thrusters of your Riptide?

Possibly, possibly... After paint they weren't quite as smoothly finished as I'd have liked, but more pictures soon.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#16 » May 12 2017 12:53

a lot of clever, clean converting going on about the forums. Great to see! How's the progress coming along?

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#17 » May 14 2017 11:04

Not much in the way of progress Tael. The modelling aspect is pretty much done now, and further pictures will be in my Cadre project log (link in my sign off). I am now happier with the torso, which has, like the rest of the suit, had the two main armour colours applied and had an ink wash.
(Paintwork still very much in the WIP stage)

It's based on Agentarrow's Tsunami design, but with additional Ghostkeel thrusters, and a baulked-out torso.

Likely no further updates for a while as my work/life balance is currently tipping the wrong way :sad:

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#18 » May 15 2017 03:12

All good, can wait on something this beastly :D

Return to “Modelling”