3D print extra parts: Stormsurge, Riptide, Piranha, ...

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Tael
Fio'O

Re: 3D print extra parts: Stormsurge, Riptide, Piranha, ...

Post#111 » Nov 27 2016 04:46

Decent alert, thanks for mentioning. Hope folks enjoy the benefit of that! :)

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui

Post#112 » Mar 05 2017 06:03

Quick update on my spare free time:
I decided to open the 3D printed Caste symbols for open Beta. My own protoypes sits in my bitz box, because I lack time to test them on the battlesuits and vehicles and post decent pics. So if you order some, please give your inputs to help me refine them.

The featured item is Enclave (Air and Fire caste symbols in 3 different packs), but others could be done.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/GUATAY2F9/quot-renegades-quot-unit-badges
I provided only a "master" set to be copied by press-mold (tried one sample with green-stuff and Milliput on Oyumaru/InstaMold and it worked good).
I will try mostly to work by order on them, so PM here or on Shapeways if you need a specific batch (symbol, composition, shapes, dimensions, ...).

Shoulder guard prototypes are done, but they need shape rework to fit the battlesuits and more polygons to be smoothed properly. I may work on them by the end of April if I have enough time.

I have also a project to add a new pair of arms to hold the Stormsurge main gun 2 handed like the new Broadside HRR. It will be done after the shoulder guards.

Also, I saw on Shapeways an how-to for painting on Shapeways "Frosted" printed plastic.
It may be for some help if you ordered some of items in this material:
https://www.shapeways.com/forum/t/paint-on-frost-extrem-details-parts.75917

Tearphoenix
Shas'La

Post#113 » Mar 23 2017 02:57

Just picked up a set of your sharp riptide shoulders. Been eyeing them for awhile and realized I still had time to throw them on my riptide.

Looking forward to putting them to use. Keep up the great work!

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui

Post#114 » May 10 2017 02:05

Important notice for Shapeways designers and customers
Shapeways is going to change the Frosted material prices, that may lead to prices going up or down based on multiple factors on 3D models.

As for me, once I will get the new prices, I will review all my models when I will have time to get them cheaper if possible or at least not increase prices while retaining quality (with the new orientation choice they will offer).

So please wait if you see a price increase on one item, it will be fixed (hopefully) by this summer.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La

Post#115 » May 18 2017 02:55

From a recent shapeways email about FUD:

Starting on May 22nd:
- Instead of charging just for your model's FUD material volume, the new pricing uses five factors, giving you transparency and a new level of control: Startup cost, Per Part cost, Model Material Volume, Support Material and Machine Space.
- New visualizations for Support Material and Machine Space will be available in the FUD 3D tools.
- The startup cost has dropped from $5 to to $3.50
- The Model Material going down from $3.50/cc to $0.75/cc gives you more freedom use the material you need to make the design just right.

Seems like reducing wall thickness ie. from 1mm to 0.5mm won't bring any real saving, which is good thing on it's own, since the resin costs nothing in such small volumes. But overall let's wait what they'll charge for mashine space...

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui

Post#116 » May 18 2017 02:15

Yeah, I am still looking on how to balance the new 5-factor price to have models still cheap but (hopefully) sturdier.
There are Shapeways forums where advantages are discussed, often with angry words from designers who need to change all their models to avoid price increase, specially on hollow models. I have few models, but I share their pain, as most of all my models need to be redesigned to avoid large hollow models.
I will probably move again to half shells for gauntlets and shoulders, but there are also drawbacks for that.
May 22nd will be hot on model reviews...

Return to “Modelling”