3D print extra parts: Stormsurge, Riptide, Piranha, ...

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: 3D print extra parts: Stormsurge, Riptide, Piranha, ...

Post#127 » Jul 03 2017 12:36

I think he was asking rules-wise?
Then the answer is a definite "NO". The Stormsurges main gun are the "Pulse blastcannon" and the "Pulse driver cannon" and his secondary weapons are the "Airburst fragmentation projector" (most stupid name ever), the "Burst cannon", the "Cluster rocket system", the "Flamer" and the "Smart missile system".
That's all. Can only equip a unit with weapons that are on their Datasheet under Wargear options or the text below its statline. ;)

However if it's just for the looks, then you could probably just put the Pulse blastcannon or Pulse driver cannon twice on it so it matches the look of old broadsides. I don't think most opponents would care whether you have two guns modelled on him or not. The weapons have at least 2 shots or d3 shots anyway. :P

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#128 » Jul 03 2017 09:07

Panzer wrote:I think he was asking rules-wise?

Pretty sure it was for looks. He said "looking." But yeah, obviously you can't put different units' guns on the wrong units.

Crolynx
Shas'Saal

Post#129 » Jul 03 2017 08:18

I was asking based on looks for the size. I know I can't put the rules for a railgun on it. I just like the looks of Tau heavy Rail Cannons so much more than the other weapons. It's part of why I bought the Tidewall Gunrig and built it ASAP.
Good, Bad,...We're the guys with the guns!!

TheV'ole
Shas'Saal

Post#130 » Jul 09 2017 11:06

Hey guys! Been browsing this site (and this thread) for a while, but finally made an account to post.

Really amazing work Kael'yn!! :) I bought assembled, and painted a stormsurge at Christmas. After reading through this whole thread I've been deliberating about adding the cockpit cover (I would never be capable of making one myself!!), and maybe remove the side missile pods (which are already glued) to attach the Stormwave arms.

Can anyone who has already bought these parts tell me if the roof fits on with the pilots inside or if they have to be removed to fit the roof? I assume the former but don't want to waste money when they are glued already. Thanks everyone!
We got the pow pow and the shooty shooty. :fear:

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#131 » Jul 14 2017 04:28

Been a while since I've updated the thread due to IRL job.

First some news:
New Shapeways pricing:
As some of you has noticed, Shapeways new pricing are hurting multiparts complex models badly (my models went 50% costier).
The good news is that wall thickness is not that critical now to reduce price: I tried a 0.8mm thick model with new orientation and structure instead of the current 0.5mm and price is quite the same for both. So I will upload with thickier and sturdier models on Shapeways.
I modified the cockpit cover to provide a cheaper alternative by closing it. This allowed the HD acrylate material to be used for better surface looking.
I am also trying to provide "affordable" other HD acrylate models, but mutliparts models have price skyrocketting with this material.

Work in progress:
2 handed stormsurge weapon (Railside style): I reused many parts of my arms, with new longer upper arm and ball-joint connectors to fit the weapon.
The new forearm and the gauntlet's elbow are parts that also fit my previous arms. I can provide them as spare parts for anyone interested in having it on my other gauntlets.

Shoulder pads are finished and will be uploaded soon. They come in 4 size: Stormsurge-Riptide-Broadside-Crisis/Commander. I have 4-5 variants that will be uploaded in packs: 10xCrisis 6xBroadside 3xRiptide 1xStormsurge. As always, PM me on Shapeways or here for custom orders (with custom Sept symbols for example).

And personnal replies:
@Arka0415
Shapeways plastic is not a real plastic (it's a resin brittler than casted resin). It's surface can be smooth or rough based on how the model is oriented (for example: surfaces where structure is set has a "sandpaper" feel, printing layers are very thin, but still sligthly visible). Sanding parts could be a solution, but with a thick paintjob, the surface is smoother.
HD acrylate has a better surface finish, but only closed cockpit cover is affordable now.
I am modifying the models now to be sure their look will be the best.

@Crolynx
Based on my 3D models measures, the Gunrig Railgun has a size that show good on Stormsurge (I don't have a Gunrig, but measures are done with the GW pics):

@TheV'ole
Answered by PM but for anyone asking the question: yes the cockpit cover allow pilots to be in (the open version was created to show them). However, you could better sand the torso bottom and reducing neck height to be sure their head not graze the ceiling.

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#132 » Jul 14 2017 05:26

Kael'yn wrote:Work in progress:
2 handed stormsurge weapon (Railside style): I reused many parts of my arms, with new longer upper arm and ball-joint connectors to fit the weapon.
The new forearm and the gauntlet's elbow are parts that also fit my previous arms. I can provide them as spare parts for anyone interested in having it on my other gauntlets.

Shoulder pads are finished and will be uploaded soon. They come in 4 size: Stormsurge-Riptide-Broadside-Crisis/Commander. I have 4-5 variants that will be uploaded in packs: 10xCrisis 6xBroadside 3xRiptide 1xStormsurge. As always, PM me on Shapeways or here for custom orders (with custom Sept symbols for example).

Love it! If I ever going to get a Stormsurge, then you can be sure to see some money from me as well! Arms in proper T'au aesthetic look way better than the gundam arm conversions I've seen.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#133 » Jul 15 2017 05:58

Yeah, Gundam arms are cheaper, but they don't usually fit the look of our battlesuit.

Updated pic: arms are done (an upload test on shapeways gaves me the same cost that standard arms). I am now trying to see if they can be posed well with a Stormsurge.
I tried here also an alternative placement for missiles, with a new missile support that fit behind the upper intake. Missile pods small bits on top of the targetting lens and "domes" on either sides the intake must be cut to fit this array.

Crolynx
Shas'Saal

Post#134 » Jul 16 2017 02:01

Kael'yn,
Thanks for the answer about the Gunrig Railguns, I've got a Gunrig but don't own a Stormsurge. Out of curiousity are the railguns that your turrets come with the same scale as the Gunrig ones? I'm trying to figure out if I gonna have to source a pair of Runrig railguns or if the ones you sell with your turret terrain pieces, which a lovey by the way, will fit.

Thanks for putting in such awesome work making these parts. If not for you I wouldnt be looking at getting a Stormsurge anytime soon as I despise the Stock GW model.
Good, Bad,...We're the guys with the guns!!

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#135 » Jul 16 2017 07:12

@Crolynx
Thanks.
Tried to fit the Hhead railgun on the Surge, and its length is on the same order than the Surge main cannons, even if it does not look so good on it (seems too frail compared to other slightly bigger guns)
If the gunrig railgun have the same scale than HHead or even 110 or 120% bigger they will look fine (not being too oversized compared to the taunar railgun)

My Defense node guns are the same model than gunrig, but made a little bigger (but its a matter of scale easy to change). I am not selling the 28mm pieces on Shapeways (the model are epic-scale based), but if you want to print one yourself, I can see to provide a model that fit the Skyray turret and the gunrig railgun.

Making parts to enchance the Stormsurge following LimpWeanie conversion was also my reason to buy one: after I made the arms, I needed the actual model to close the cockpit.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#136 » Jul 20 2017 10:33

Uploaded the new parts on Shapeways.
They are smoother, 0.8 mm thick (instead of 0.5mm previously), and their orientation is set to be the best compromise possible for price vs print result.
They cost more (around $5 for the base option, but full option with cover and missile support has its price equal or less), but their quality will be better.

I created separate items to build your own arm version (need some days to create all parts, only the A1 version is uploaded for now). Building them as one item would only have saved 10% but I would have needed to upload a ton of models to fit all options.

I kept the old parts online (they are cheaper, but without smoothing and still with the thin walls).

Example of set to be ordered:
For the two handed model:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/G6C8Z ... -shoulders
https://www.shapeways.com/product/TNETV ... ave-elbows
https://www.shapeways.com/product/F8V4P ... two-handed
13+11+16 = $40

For the one handed model:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/83US8 ... one-handed
13+8+22 = $43

For the missile arms:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/WK97Y ... s-missiles
13+8+12 = $33

I've added some elbow covers for the gauntlets:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/E6L62 ... ows-covers

Other existing items (missile supports, ...) will be updated with sprues to reduce price a little and refined orientation for better prints.

EDIT:
Forgot to add an important notice: models are not already prototyped (but I am fairly confident they are fine), I have a Shapeways order set to August to test these items (and others).

I've added the shoulder pads too:
Style are: Layered/Hexagon/Plates/Cradle (style match: Farsight/Broadside/Firewarrior/Breacher)
https://www.shapeways.com/product/Q855SUFN3/shoulder-pads-blank-symbol-mixed-sizes
Set has mixed sizes:
1 large: 1 Stormsurge
7 medium: 6 Broadsides and 1 Commander
9 small: 9 Crisis

No symbol set on public shop (maybe I will add the Empire set). PM for customizations (numbers and sept symbols)

I think about adding an extra-small size for infantry. What do you think ?

Raikoh067
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#137 » Aug 13 2017 07:23

Has anybody ever considered a 3D printed conversion for Piranha that gives them a closed top, similar to the Stormsurge we have here? I've always through they would look pretty badass with a sleek cover that can go over the area where they sit. Probably would need to remove the guys in it for it to work right, but it'd look awesome.

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Post#138 » Aug 13 2017 07:29

Raikoh067 wrote:Has anybody ever considered a 3D printed conversion for Piranha that gives them a closed top, similar to the Stormsurge we have here? I've always through they would look pretty badass with a sleek cover that can go over the area where they sit. Probably would need to remove the guys in it for it to work right, but it'd look awesome.

I would purchase something like this.

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#139 » Aug 13 2017 11:20

Raikoh067 wrote:Has anybody ever considered a 3D printed conversion for Piranha that gives them a closed top, similar to the Stormsurge we have here? I've always through they would look pretty badass with a sleek cover that can go over the area where they sit. Probably would need to remove the guys in it for it to work right, but it'd look awesome.

Well yeah you would need to remove the occupants (just argue they're 'lying') to maintain the overall design aesthetic but I think it would look pretty awesome.

Another user here made a conversion with a 'roof' but I don't really like how it looks at all.

Raikoh067
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#140 » Aug 14 2017 01:32

Panzer wrote:

Well yeah you would need to remove the occupants (just argue they're 'lying') to maintain the overall design aesthetic but I think it would look pretty awesome.

Another user here made a conversion with a 'roof' but I don't really like how it looks at all.

Agreed, I'm not a fan of the top rack thing we have here, even though it is skillfully made I must admit. But seeing that made me realize my dream of getting a cockpit cover for my Piranha is just inches away! I tried to do some conversions myself with plasticard, but it wasn't turning out well, so I already have the driverless Piranha all ready to go! lol

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#141 » Aug 17 2017 12:27

Piranha cover is a staple demand from people (the Forgeworld TX42 is nice but still too much unarmored in my taste).
The luggage case (that I've done from a conversion shown on our board) didn't needed a piranha model to be made.

I plan to do one in the future, once I will have a 3D model of the piranha (I am working on other models at the moment, but piranha is in the pipe).
If someone already has a design idea, I can help make it real.

I also search inputs on the two crew roles:
Pilot is probably on the front because it hold sticks, but what is the role of the rear seated guy ? Does it need window ? Tetra roles are pretty straightforward, but I have difficulties to imagine the role of the 2nd crew in piranha, because the chin gun could be operated by the pilot, the drones have AI, ...
Or do they work like modern Helipcoter gunships, with gunman front and pilot rear ?
Or the rear seated guy is a navigator / VIP / tactical advisor ?

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#142 » Aug 17 2017 12:51

Kael'yn wrote:Piranha cover is a staple demand from people (the Forgeworld TX42 is nice but still too much unarmored in my taste).
The luggage case (that I've done from a conversion shown on our board) didn't needed a piranha model to be made.

I plan to do one in the future, once I will have a 3D model of the piranha (I am working on other models at the moment, but piranha is in the pipe).
If someone already has a design idea, I can help make it real.

I also search inputs on the two crew roles:
Pilot is probably on the front because it hold sticks, but what is the role of the rear seated guy ? Does it need window ? Tetra roles are pretty straightforward, but I have difficulties to imagine the role of the 2nd crew in piranha, because the chin gun could be operated by the pilot, the drones have AI, ...
Or do they work like modern Helipcoter gunships, with gunman front and pilot rear ?
Or the rear seated guy is a navigator / VIP / tactical advisor ?

Awesome, can't wait to see the cover you're going to do.

The second pilot could be just supporting the main pilot I guess? Like reading various instruments about the environment, own troop movement and keep up communication with the rest of the allied forces etc.?

Prophet224
Shas'Saal

Post#143 » Aug 23 2017 12:18

Hi there! So... I purchased a few of these items and magnetized away... still in progress but shoulders, cover, missile arms, and riptide arms all working great.

Then I saw the area denial node. Wow. I made one myself that came out pretty decent but have you had any other requests or thoughts on 28mm? Maybe even taking the gun off if that would help. I got a sky ray turret and mounted two railgun to it... came out pretty good and only a few bucks for the railguns. Don't know if removing the gun would decrease the price to something reasonable but just a thought. :-) you do great work!

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#144 » Aug 23 2017 10:15

Thanks.

The Sentinel firepoint is not really cheap in 28mm: more than $300 in frosted and even using the maximum tricks (multiparts to keep the overall volume low, providing only the outer shell and not the central pivot, floor plate, guns, ...) the price will be too much in the better material.
A test upload of a smaller version, with only 8x25mm models fitting around a 42mm cylinder bearing a HHead or Skyray turret is around $70 in WSF (without optimizing). I hope to reduce the price in this material in a folded kit (expecting a maybe $40 price in WSF). Problem is large flat parts are known to warp easily if they are too thin.

I am still looking about making it real in 28mm. The easier and cheaper solution could be a paper model for the main body and maybe 3D print only for small bits. Done properly, the paper models can be great and convincing, specially with these simple shapes.

Return to “Modelling”