3D print extra parts: Stormsurge, Riptide, Piranha, ...

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Re: [3D] 3D printable parts

Post#37 » Jun 22 2016 11:47

Enough time for a small (but maybe important) update:
Missile arms prototypes received monday were fine. Errors are corrected and models are ready to be ordered (the yellow plastic card fill gaps in the model junction, the steel ring replace a feature that was missing on the print (the "screw" on the elbow).
Shapeways models are available on demand (because there are too many options to be put at the moment), so ask me by PM here or on Shapeways what you want in your model and I will provide a Shapeways item accordingly:
Examples:
- A1 shoulders , A elbows , B1 gauntlets, A1 hands
- A2 shoulders , A elbows , C gauntlets
- B1 shoulders , A spacers , A elbows, A1 gauntlets, A2 hand (right), A1 hand (left)
Current choices:

I also tried to cast the gauntlets models.
Casting is good on overall shapes, but bubbles in the silicon mold makes the parts mostly unusuables. I will redo another mold ant try to cast once more. I will maybe get a better silicon able to withstand more cast processes too (current mold can resist a dozen only). So counting the time I spend on the process (resin is hand poured to avoid bubbles), I expect a set of arms could be sold from 10 to 20€, based on my investment, shipping not included. I will go forth on casting once all the Stormsurge parts will be done and casting process good, but as it is hand-made casting when I have free time, availability will be maybe random.

Cockpit and missile shoulder supports will be done as soon as I can get some time to finish the torso shape.

EDIT:
I have also a WSF set of arms to be reviewed later, for people wanting cheap 3D prints.

Myrdin
Shas

Post#38 » Jun 22 2016 12:02

20 euro is a WAAAY better price then the attrocious 100 something they asked for SS arms on Shapeways !
Just need to find an "investment" window in my funds and then I´ll be more than happy to get a pair :)
Thanks for letting us know, gj, really gj.
Last edited by Myrdin on Jun 22 2016 12:11, edited 1 time in total.

Redback
Por

Post#39 » Jun 22 2016 12:05

Very nice indeed, you are making my choice for Stormsurge arms difficult. I like jimsbeanz elbows but your way of putting the SMS into the arms

nova_wolf
Shas

Post#40 » Jun 24 2016 08:02

I am hugely late to this party but hoping theres room for one more.

The arms are a genius idea and having seen them in action on other threads I am sold on them.

But I would want to get the Shoulder Mounts for the missile pods as I have seen else where.

Are they available too or is it just the arms?

MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

Post#41 » Jun 24 2016 08:46

Love the missile attachment to the arms, I hope to receive a set from you when you are able to cast. :D

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#42 » Jun 24 2016 01:32

Thanks for your comments.

Casting is still experimental at this time. I only done small run for myself before for bases or missing parts. Not top notch quality, but still cheaper than Shapeways with good details and few bubbles.
But I am taking it more seriously to be able to provide these models cheaper (I wasn't still very happy with the shapeways price and hoped that someone would have taken these parts, cast and sells them by himself)

I don't have jimbeanz elbow dimensions to provide adapters (and maybe the shoulders will be a little too big compared to my arms).
Since he reused the Supremacy shoulder pattern, I can see if I am able to reproduce a similar shoulder, with a scale more in line with my arms dimensions.

Cockpit cover and missile support on shoulders are worked with the torso at the moment. More infos and pics will come soon.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#43 » Jul 11 2016 02:06

Stormsurge work was so tedious that I worked on another quick model to release some pressure:

Here is the result of mixing together the Tidewall Gunrig and the Area Denial Node: The Sentinel Firepoint

Model is currently around 18 cm / 7 in wide. Railgun is a little bigger than the Gunrig railgun (115 %)
Area inside is 3.6 cm wide, enough to fit 10 x 25mm bases.

STL is given for free under the Creative Commons BY-ND (credit author and distribute without modifications)
Shapeways printing is above $150 in WSF and $570 in FUD, so I will not sell it.
Take it here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ceo4idpx9hcgj1z/Sentinel.stl
Its size need to cut the model to print it in most 3D printers...

It may be resized to fit any other scale for any other game.
I've made an Epic-scaled (6mm) version that contains 3 models: http://shpws.me/MqlT

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#44 » Jul 11 2016 11:00

Lovely work, eye opening prices on the 3D printing front though.

Great tutorials on the build for the new arms too. Superb thread.

Now added to Modelling Resource, astounded I had not before!

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#45 » Jul 12 2016 02:58

That is a beautiful piece of terrain. I can't look at the model at the moment, but I wonder how easy it would be to reduce the cost to print. The way prices are at Shapeways now, they're based on printer space, not just material used so thinning and hollowing won't help as much anymore.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#46 » Jul 12 2016 04:59

Thanks for your comments.

3D printing for 28mm is costy, specially when using high quality print (with exceptions: the 30th anniversary SM at $30 will be cheaper if 3D printed :? ).
It's good for prototypes to be cast, but not everyone can do that (I am still struggling to have good molds and casts).

@Tael:
Thanks for adding it as a resource. Now I feel some pressure do enhance the thread :fear: ;)

@AgentArrow:
Shapeways prices depends of the material: WSF is both machine and model volume; PLA, FUD is only model volume; ceramic add the model surface to the price; ...
See the model in 3D: https://www.shapeways.com/model/3dtools/4914087/0/6?check=1&key=335efe00a7d5d51689b94458936cefd4.
Machine space could be reduced, but not by much (cut and reorganize parts, like putting turret and gun into the gunrig).
Model is already greatly hollowed, but it is still 160 cm3 (wall thickness is currently around 5mm and could be reduced, as the model was designed to fit the FUD limits for EPic scaled model).
Reducing further the model thickness is possible, I think, but I don't think the model could be under $50 in WSF.
If some people are interested, I may rework the thickness to save volume as much as I can.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#47 » Jul 17 2016 05:42

Update on Stormsurge cockpit top:
I came to one design with two variations:
I prefer the first, but I will do the 2nd if more people like it.
Details are not finished (need some engravings, merging parts, ...)

Since I need to realistically take into account the pilots heads positions, the cockpit top takes some space vertically.
But the battlesuit main head will still see forward if the torso is tilted sligthly frontward (to the point that the main gun shoulder craddle and the torso-pelvis join would be horizontal)

Redback
Por

Post#48 » Jul 17 2016 05:46

I am liking the 1st one too

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#49 » Jul 17 2016 09:48

I am also more fond of the first. Especially with some engraved detail, it'll look really nice. Definitely an improvement over the original cockpit.

Jefffar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#50 » Jul 17 2016 10:59

I like it, but one question - how does the guy in the left hand seat get out in an emergency?

Raverrn
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#51 » Jul 18 2016 02:06

Jefffar wrote:I like it, but one question - how does the guy in the left hand seat get out in an emergency?

Poorly.

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#52 » Jul 18 2016 07:21

Jefffar wrote:I like it, but one question - how does the guy in the left hand seat get out in an emergency?

For The Greater Good!

No, seriously. Not everything has to be detailed on a miniature of that scale. Just imagine a hidden trapdoor like you have on real tanks. :D

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#53 » Jul 18 2016 07:25

Ricordis wrote:

No, seriously. Not everything has to be detailed on a miniature of that scale. Just imagine a hidden trapdoor like you have on real tanks. :D

That's a pretty bad excuse imo. :D Even more so since the Storm Surge miniature is pretty big. :D

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#54 » Jul 18 2016 11:46

Thanks for your support.

Kael'yn wrote:Details are not finished (need some engravings, merging parts, ...)

So is the reason you don't see top hatch for the 2nd pilot: I don't have engraved it so far (I need to double check global sizes before applying modifiers and adding final details).

It seems that the 1st version is the winner (unless I find a better design). I will also build the cockpit top with the two pilot hatches able to be opened or not (to show the inner details for those maniacs who paint the devilfish passenger compartment even if they close the doors).

Ricordis wrote:No, seriously. Not everything has to be detailed on a miniature of that scale. Just imagine a hidden trapdoor like you have on real tanks. :D

GW designers also have forgotten to show toilets for long time deployment... like the one on the Sukoi 34 : http://mulpix.com/post/1142082567636313713.html

They maybe have an emergency teleporter to bail out...

EDIT:
I added more details and finally merged the parts. I changed also the left cockpit top gizmo to something different than just a filler.
I will cut the hatches and show them open the next time.

Return to “Modelling”