3D print extra parts: Stormsurge, Riptide, Piranha, ...

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Re: 3D print extra parts: Stormsurge, Riptide, Piranha, ...

Post#109 » Nov 26 2016 07:27

Some great work right there, thank you for the update! Browsing the online library now :)

Woad
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#110 » Nov 27 2016 12:11

Apologies if this is out of place, but Shapeways is doing a 25% off promo code today (Nov 27) - SMALLBIZ

Ordered a set of the weapon arms with cockpit cover. :)

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#111 » Nov 27 2016 04:46

Decent alert, thanks for mentioning. Hope folks enjoy the benefit of that! :)

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#112 » Mar 05 2017 06:03

Quick update on my spare free time:
I decided to open the 3D printed Caste symbols for open Beta. My own protoypes sits in my bitz box, because I lack time to test them on the battlesuits and vehicles and post decent pics. So if you order some, please give your inputs to help me refine them.

The featured item is Enclave (Air and Fire caste symbols in 3 different packs), but others could be done.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/GUATAY2F9/quot-renegades-quot-unit-badges
I provided only a "master" set to be copied by press-mold (tried one sample with green-stuff and Milliput on Oyumaru/InstaMold and it worked good).
I will try mostly to work by order on them, so PM here or on Shapeways if you need a specific batch (symbol, composition, shapes, dimensions, ...).

Shoulder guard prototypes are done, but they need shape rework to fit the battlesuits and more polygons to be smoothed properly. I may work on them by the end of April if I have enough time.

I have also a project to add a new pair of arms to hold the Stormsurge main gun 2 handed like the new Broadside HRR. It will be done after the shoulder guards.

Also, I saw on Shapeways an how-to for painting on Shapeways "Frosted" printed plastic.
It may be for some help if you ordered some of items in this material:
https://www.shapeways.com/forum/t/paint-on-frost-extrem-details-parts.75917

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#113 » Mar 23 2017 02:57

Just picked up a set of your sharp riptide shoulders. Been eyeing them for awhile and realized I still had time to throw them on my riptide.

Looking forward to putting them to use. Keep up the great work!

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#114 » May 10 2017 02:05

Important notice for Shapeways designers and customers
Shapeways is going to change the Frosted material prices, that may lead to prices going up or down based on multiple factors on 3D models.

As for me, once I will get the new prices, I will review all my models when I will have time to get them cheaper if possible or at least not increase prices while retaining quality (with the new orientation choice they will offer).

So please wait if you see a price increase on one item, it will be fixed (hopefully) by this summer.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#115 » May 18 2017 02:55

From a recent shapeways email about FUD:

Starting on May 22nd:
- Instead of charging just for your model's FUD material volume, the new pricing uses five factors, giving you transparency and a new level of control: Startup cost, Per Part cost, Model Material Volume, Support Material and Machine Space.
- New visualizations for Support Material and Machine Space will be available in the FUD 3D tools.
- The startup cost has dropped from $5 to to $3.50
- The Model Material going down from $3.50/cc to $0.75/cc gives you more freedom use the material you need to make the design just right.

Seems like reducing wall thickness ie. from 1mm to 0.5mm won't bring any real saving, which is good thing on it's own, since the resin costs nothing in such small volumes. But overall let's wait what they'll charge for mashine space...

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#116 » May 18 2017 02:15

Yeah, I am still looking on how to balance the new 5-factor price to have models still cheap but (hopefully) sturdier.
There are Shapeways forums where advantages are discussed, often with angry words from designers who need to change all their models to avoid price increase, specially on hollow models. I have few models, but I share their pain, as most of all my models need to be redesigned to avoid large hollow models.
I will probably move again to half shells for gauntlets and shoulders, but there are also drawbacks for that.
May 22nd will be hot on model reviews...

chaplain_sam
Shas'Saal

Post#117 » May 24 2017 07:43

I ordered the cockpit cover and the missile arms for both of my Stormsurges (frosted ultra detail for everything). I thought I would share my thoughts. The fit is near-perfect. The end-product is relatively smooth on flat and angular surfaces, but curved or rounded surfaces come out a little rough. I was a bit impatient and I wanted to see everything together so I didn't spend a ton of time sanding. I think you could end up with a better result than I did. Probably best to use something like sandpaper to sand the rounded/curved surfaces. The bits are pretty fragile, I actually broke one arm and had to order an extra set. All in all, I am very happy with the end result. I'm not finished painting this model, but you can still see what I ended up with. I definitely would recommend it to a friend. Thanks Kael'yn!

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#118 » May 24 2017 09:20

Thanks for the review! Great looking work so far then :D

3D team, do you want to put this as a review on its own or keep it within the update thread? Either way, great feedback Chaplain_Sam :)

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#119 » May 25 2017 12:50

Thanks for the great review and the pics chaplain_sam. If you don't mind, I will link it to my other reviews on my ATT posts (the opening post of this thread and in the 3D resource article).

The new Shapeways pricing and orientation choosing will let me put a new balance between details/rigidity/price (and let me control better the area that are rougher probably).

Sorry for the broken part. You could have asked me to upload only the missing part if you wanted.
The current arms are thin, but once properly glued, they endured the stress quite well. This was the only way to put these models for cheap.
I say it again to other customers: if you really want to strenghten more the model (arms or shoulder supports), fill the hollow part with resin/milliput/greenstuff (or even plaster).

About the new Shapeways pricing: model prices are quite identical for now Real life job put me aside of 3D modelling for at most one month (end-year high-school examination), but as soon as I can, I will release a newer (better, and hopefully, cheaper) set.

Tael wrote:3D team, do you want to put this as a review on its own or keep it within the update thread? Either way, great feedback Chaplain_Sam :)

I usually link the review post alongside the item description. But if chaplain_sam want it to have its own thread, I don't mind.
Thanks for asking.

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#120 » Jun 22 2017 04:07

chaplain_sam wrote:I ordered the cockpit cover and the missile arms for both of my Stormsurges (frosted ultra detail for everything). I thought I would share my thoughts. The fit is near-perfect. The end-product is relatively smooth on flat and angular surfaces, but curved or rounded surfaces come out a little rough. I was a bit impatient and I wanted to see everything together so I didn't spend a ton of time sanding. I think you could end up with a better result than I did. Probably best to use something like sandpaper to sand the rounded/curved surfaces. The bits are pretty fragile, I actually broke one arm and had to order an extra set. All in all, I am very happy with the end result. I'm not finished painting this model, but you can still see what I ended up with. I definitely would recommend it to a friend. Thanks Kael'yn!

I LOVE that color scheme, and the glow is cool.

If you took the battlesuit head on it would look like a mobile suit:

Either way sir, that paint and model job is inspring, enough that I dare say the Stormsurge is no longer a write-off for me and I may one day actually buy one using these conversion bits. Wasn't aware the results would be so clean and humanoid, a couple of these photos need to go in the original post!

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#121 » Jun 23 2017 02:05

Top stuff, shall leave it to your method for easy of use Kael'Yn :)

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#122 » Jul 02 2017 10:15

This is an amazing thread. If I ever get a Stormsurge, I think my next stop will be here! :D

I have a question about Shapeways plastic though. Does it come out as smooth as GW plastic? Or does it have those layered ridges characteristic of 3D printed material? Thanks.

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#123 » Jul 02 2017 11:11

Mine was rough rather than the smoothness you get with plastic but it was more of a speckled finish rather than ridges. You could sand it down with fine grade wet/dry paper if you wanted to but I did not bother.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#124 » Jul 02 2017 11:35

Shapeways Frosted ultra detail is 0.029mm layers and frosted extreme detail is 0.016mm layers. Since they updated prices recently, the extreme detail seem to be only ~20% more expensive despite taking twice as long to print.

I didn't order anything from shapeways yet, but I can smooth what my FDM 3d printer produces in 0.06mm layers very easily. 4x more resolution on layers should be easily covered with just a bit thicker paint that what airbrush produces, probably if you basecoat with a brush it will do just that.

Crolynx
Shas'Saal

Post#125 » Jul 02 2017 02:29

Is the Twin Linked Railgun from the turret station capable of being put in place of the standard Cannon options for the Stormsurge?

I'm looking at this and planning to build a Stormsurge to look even more like a Classic stumpy Broadsides since I have 13 of them and want to keep that aesthetic on the heavy weapons guys.
Good, Bad,...We're the guys with the guns!!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#126 » Jul 02 2017 10:14

Crolynx wrote:Is the Twin Linked Railgun from the turret station capable of being put in place of the standard Cannon options for the Stormsurge?

I'm looking at this and planning to build a Stormsurge to look even more like a Classic stumpy Broadsides since I have 13 of them and want to keep that aesthetic on the heavy weapons guys.

The Supremacy Railgun from the Tidewall Gunrig? It's probably too small, I think. Let's see if someone can post a side-by-side comparison.

Return to “Modelling”