3D printing stormsurge some arms

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
thezanji
Shas'La

Re: 3D printing stormsurge some arms

Post#31 » May 27 2016 10:56

I'm also waiting for those parts to be available to buy! hehe I'd love to have my stormsurge looking like that.

excellent job.

jimsbeanz
Shas

Post#32 » Jun 01 2016 10:03

Hi guys, sorry i've been a bit busy with work so haven't had a chance to get much done but I should have the last of the changes on the arms finished this weekend.

I'm making a slight size decrease on the shoulders and adding in some detail to the inner piece as right now it's just an flat corner. Should help to reduce the print cost on shapeways.

Here's a another variant I was working on with a kotobukiya missile unit 36, i'm temped to borrow some parts from a riptide...
My shapeways store the Mod-Shop

Heldericht
Shas'Saal

Post#33 » Jun 07 2016 01:44

This is so cool! I can't decide if I like the cannon underslung or on the shoulder. Exceptional work! And thank you for posting the shapeways link.

Question: How are the 3d printed parts different in terms of painting? Do they hold paint well/look cohesive? That has been my biggest concern about 3D printed parts.
Question 2: Have you updated your shapeways profile with the changes you were talking about in this last post?

Thank you so much for keeping us posted!

GeorgeJetson
Shas

Post#34 » Jun 07 2016 02:08

I like the work you've been doing with these arms.

I am also in San Diego and I talked to someone who does work for me when I need something that is beyond my capabilities (mostly cleaning stuff and assembly from Forgeworld orders), he said that someone else was looking into the Disney Infinity Hulkbuster figure for its arms. It's a cheaper alternative, but I like that you retained the aesthetic from the Tau range, it's cool to see the shoulders from the KX-139, on the KV-128.

jimsbeanz
Shas

Post#35 » Jun 07 2016 03:35

Heldericht wrote:This is so cool! I can't decide if I like the cannon underslung or on the shoulder. Exceptional work! And thank you for posting the shapeways link.

Question: How are the 3d printed parts different in terms of painting? Do they hold paint well/look cohesive? That has been my biggest concern about 3D printed parts.
Question 2: Have you updated your shapeways profile with the changes you were talking about in this last post?

Thank you so much for keeping us posted!

I've put the latest version on the shop. The parts from shapeways are printed using resin so if you do a coat of primer it will hold paint just the same as plastic.

I painted mine with acrylic paints & citadel washes.

Vector Strike
Shas'La

Post#36 » Jun 07 2016 04:11

Gosh, really liked the missile arms!

jimsbeanz
Shas

Post#37 » Jun 07 2016 10:14

This is my WIP on the second version, with some kotobukiya parts. Thinking of using a riptide weapon on the other left hand, will post pics when i get more done.

tekkenotik
Shas'Saal

Post#38 » Jun 08 2016 01:29

that looks incredible! I think that the arms make it a whole lot more menacing and gives it a imposing presence! excellent job on the paint as well :D :D

Redback
Por

Post#39 » Jun 12 2016 07:15

So glad to see these for purchase now

For the following model design do I only need:

The Storm Mech Shoulers and Storm mech lower arms?

jimsbeanz wrote:I've put the latest version on the shop. The parts from shapeways are printed using resin so if you do a coat of primer it will hold paint just the same as plastic.

I painted mine with acrylic paints & citadel washes.

Myrdin
Shas

Post#40 » Jun 12 2016 07:28

amazing !
Now I really wanna get a SS, even if its just for it to sit on the shelf and wait for better rules in the future.
Could you please post here a link where I can get a pair of the missile arms for myself ?

Redback
Por

Post#41 » Jun 12 2016 07:41

Myrdin wrote:amazing !
Now I really wanna get a SS, even if its just for it to sit on the shelf and wait for better rules in the future.
Could you please post here a link where I can get a pair of the missile arms for myself ?

Follow the link in their signature

Myrdin
Shas

Post#42 » Jun 12 2016 12:23

Redback wrote:
Myrdin wrote:amazing !

Follow the link in their signature

Ah thanks, kinda missed that. :)

Hmm ok, nvm, the price for those is WAAAY out of my league. Kinda looses its appeal when one full set of missile arms costs more then the Storm Surge itself.

jimsbeanz
Shas

Post#43 » Jun 12 2016 10:23

Myrdin wrote:Hmm ok, nvm, the price for those is WAAAY out of my league. Kinda looses its appeal when one full set of missile arms costs more then the Storm Surge itself.

Yeah I know Shapeways can get pretty expensive as you get bigger.

I was talked with some contacts in hong kong about getting resin copies made. It would make a set of arms much much cheaper but I would need to make an order of 30-50 units. I can also contact a local guy I know that does resin 3d prints for a set of arms for around $70us.

Myrdin
Shas

Post#44 » Jun 12 2016 11:51

jimsbeanz wrote:
Myrdin wrote:Hmm ok, nvm, the price for those is WAAAY out of my league. Kinda looses its appeal when one full set of missile arms costs more then the Storm Surge itself.

Yeah I know Shapeways can get pretty expensive as you get bigger.

I was talked with some contacts in hong kong about getting resin copies made. It would make a set of arms much much cheaper but I would need to make an order of 30-50 units. I can also contact a local guy I know that does resin 3d prints for a set of arms for around $70us.

About the Hong Kong manufacturer - is it 30-50 pieces, or 30-50 sets ?
If its just pieces, as every SS needs one set (2 pieces) you need about 15 people, which is not impossible seeing as there was rather big interest invested into this project. If its 30+ sets of pieces, well that might be harder, not sure if we can find 30 people for that.
However if you make a list to see how many people would be in on this, you can add me on it as well.

The second option - while still quite expensive, sounds much reasonable. Personally 50 bucks is the max I am seeing myself be willing to pay for it :/

jimsbeanz
Shas

Post#45 » Jun 13 2016 02:07

Myrdin wrote:About the Hong Kong manufacturer - is it 30-50 pieces, or 30-50 sets ?
If its just pieces, as every SS needs one set (2 pieces) you need about 15 people, which is not impossible seeing as there was rather big interest invested into this project. If its 30+ sets of pieces, well that might be harder, not sure if we can find 30 people for that.

For a batch of parts(6 pieces per batch) the minimum order was 30. But they need the master parts in hand to give an accurate quote so i haven't sent them anything as i'm not sure it's worth the effort.

Redback
Por

Post#46 » Jun 13 2016 04:26

Resin would be great, I would like 3 Sets of lower arms and shoulders

Tarnag
Shas

Post#47 » Jun 13 2016 02:00

I would be very interested in 2 sets of the resin arms.

Chris in the socal
Shas'Ui

Post#48 » Jun 16 2016 01:54

I could use 3 complete arms and shoulders.
TAU Record 9-2-4

Is That A Sunfish? (Coming Soon)

Return to “Modelling”