3D printing stormsurge some arms

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Chris in the socal
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: 3D printing stormsurge some arms

Post#51 » Jun 17 2016 02:00

Now I need one of those. Gosh you guy you all just keep making me jealous of your digital modeling skills.
TAU Record 9-2-4

Is That A Sunfish? (Coming Soon)

Redback
Por

Post#52 » Jun 17 2016 04:28

And BOOM! more waiting for me

Great work

I think you need to name your Stormsurge pattern

e.g KV129 'Cyclone' Stormsurge

jimsbeanz
Shas

Post#53 » Jun 17 2016 12:06

Just got done printing!

Looks good so far will post some more when I get it in hand and prime it for a test fit tomorrow!
My shapeways store the Mod-Shop

GeorgeJetson
Shas

Post#54 » Jun 17 2016 03:52

Holy crap!

Must have item of the 41st Millenium!

How thick will you be making the finished one? I've already painted my 'surges, so it'd be cool if it was thick enough to magnetize. The cock-pit paint job I did wasn't great (I should've primed and finished painting that part before assembling the whole torso).

ColdFoot
Shas

Post#55 » Jun 17 2016 04:14

Nice job! I defiantly want one

jimsbeanz
Shas

Post#56 » Jun 20 2016 12:19

Did a quick test paint, I will need to do some modifications to make it fit better as right now there are too many gaps.

Turbo_MMX
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#57 » Jun 20 2016 12:31

Sold!! Just a little bit of green stuff to fix up the gaps and it will be fine :D
The Mighty Kroot Power Gamer!

Ah yes, ya gotta love it

Sergeant_Ty
Shas

Post#58 » Jun 29 2016 03:31

Finally got my arms and shoulders... Man these things look great!

Water can drip and it can crash, become like water.

Redback
Por

Post#59 » Jun 30 2016 01:46

So glad to see the SMS can still be put on the arms. These 3D arms are the ones for me!

Blackskull
Shas

Post#60 » Jul 05 2016 04:51

Both arm variants look cool but I prefer broadside arms. I only learning 3d modeling, it's long but rewarding work. Wish I could buy them, but before this I should buy the stormsurge itself XD
Last edited by Blackskull on Jul 06 2016 03:12, edited 1 time in total.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#61 » Jul 05 2016 08:24

jimsbeanz wrote:Image

Just got done printing!

Looks good so far will post some more when I get it in hand and prime it for a test fit tomorrow!

Is that a shapeways print? I've never had a piece print with such strange support structure. Which method was used to print that piece?

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#62 » Jul 06 2016 03:02

Agentarrow wrote:Is that a shapeways print? I've never had a piece print with such strange support structure. Which method was used to print that piece?

I bet it is a SLA print from other machines, but not from Shapeways.
They use wax to hold the parts instead of support structures on Frosted. The experimental classic SLA-printed Black HD Acrylic is not in this color and they manually remove the struts before sending the parts.

jimsbeanz
Shas

Post#63 » Jul 06 2016 01:59

Agentarrow wrote:
jimsbeanz wrote:Image

Just got done printing!

Is that a shapeways print? I've never had a piece print with such strange support structure. Which method was used to print that piece?

It's from a Form2 SLA liquid resin printer.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#64 » Jul 06 2016 02:40

Have you tried their black acrylate? It's only available as a maker material but I'm thinking about trying it out due to its smooth finish and high detail.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#65 » Jul 06 2016 03:17

I was tempted too, but since they charge raw prices per part, with the fewest possible sprues, leading to a choice of models very reduced (in only one or two parts), and none so far is ready to be printed.
I saw too that they remove the struts and I have mixed feelings about that.
They have also issues with this material (see their material forum) and the price is not set.

If the resolution is the same or the like than Form2 or Ember machines, stepping will be still sligthly visible. And compared to Frosted, I don't see the difference.
See the train pics by 3DBuildr on their forum: https://www.shapeways.com/forum/t/black-high-definition-acrylate.39425/

Heldericht
Shas'Saal

Post#66 » Jul 19 2016 03:09

The canopy for the open cockpit was exactly what I was trying to do as well. Some green stuff and odd piranha parts have come close to that look. But having a printed piece would be ideal! Can't wait to see how the final piece turns out!

chmcclellan
Shas

Post#67 » Jul 20 2016 10:52

Jimsbeanz, these look amazing. Definitely getting some when building my Stormsurge.

Sergeant_Ty wrote:Finally got my arms and shoulders... Man these things look great!

Sergeant_Ty, this turned out awesomely. How did you get that buckling look on the crushed Rhino?
- Christian

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#68 » Jul 20 2016 11:40

You can get that crushed effect by carefully baking the model with a weight (think a hammer, or a large paperweight, or even a hefty rock) which crushes it as the plastic softens. Just don't heat the plastic until it burns.

Return to “Modelling”