3D printing stormsurge some arms

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Re: 3D printing stormsurge some arms

Post#61 » Jul 05 2016 08:24

jimsbeanz wrote:Image

Just got done printing!

Looks good so far will post some more when I get it in hand and prime it for a test fit tomorrow!

Is that a shapeways print? I've never had a piece print with such strange support structure. Which method was used to print that piece?

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#62 » Jul 06 2016 03:02

Agentarrow wrote:Is that a shapeways print? I've never had a piece print with such strange support structure. Which method was used to print that piece?

I bet it is a SLA print from other machines, but not from Shapeways.
They use wax to hold the parts instead of support structures on Frosted. The experimental classic SLA-printed Black HD Acrylic is not in this color and they manually remove the struts before sending the parts.

jimsbeanz
Shas

Post#63 » Jul 06 2016 01:59

Agentarrow wrote:
jimsbeanz wrote:Image

Just got done printing!

Looks good so far will post some more when I get it in hand and prime it for a test fit tomorrow!

Is that a shapeways print? I've never had a piece print with such strange support structure. Which method was used to print that piece?

It's from a Form2 SLA liquid resin printer.
My shapeways store the Mod-Shop

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#64 » Jul 06 2016 02:40

Have you tried their black acrylate? It's only available as a maker material but I'm thinking about trying it out due to its smooth finish and high detail.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#65 » Jul 06 2016 03:17

I was tempted too, but since they charge raw prices per part, with the fewest possible sprues, leading to a choice of models very reduced (in only one or two parts), and none so far is ready to be printed.
I saw too that they remove the struts and I have mixed feelings about that.
They have also issues with this material (see their material forum) and the price is not set.

If the resolution is the same or the like than Form2 or Ember machines, stepping will be still sligthly visible. And compared to Frosted, I don't see the difference.
See the train pics by 3DBuildr on their forum: https://www.shapeways.com/forum/t/black-high-definition-acrylate.39425/

Heldericht
Shas'Saal

Post#66 » Jul 19 2016 03:09

The canopy for the open cockpit was exactly what I was trying to do as well. Some green stuff and odd piranha parts have come close to that look. But having a printed piece would be ideal! Can't wait to see how the final piece turns out!

chmcclellan
Shas

Post#67 » Jul 20 2016 10:52

Jimsbeanz, these look amazing. Definitely getting some when building my Stormsurge.

Sergeant_Ty wrote:Finally got my arms and shoulders... Man these things look great!

Sergeant_Ty, this turned out awesomely. How did you get that buckling look on the crushed Rhino?
- Christian

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#68 » Jul 20 2016 11:40

You can get that crushed effect by carefully baking the model with a weight (think a hammer, or a large paperweight, or even a hefty rock) which crushes it as the plastic softens. Just don't heat the plastic until it burns.

Tau B'ob
Shas'Saal

Post#69 » Oct 05 2016 05:17

Thank you so much, the arms are great. Just wanted to share it :)

Last edited by Tau B'ob on Oct 07 2016 10:14, edited 1 time in total.

Y3R0K
Shas

Post#70 » Oct 06 2016 11:29

is the cockpit cap available yet?

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#71 » Oct 06 2016 11:48

Arms are from jimsbeanz
Cockpit cover is mine (my thread: http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=24364), you can order it in my shop :http://shpws.me/MCjQ
I don't see in jim beanz shop his own cockpit cover released, maybe he's still working on it ? Mine was a pain to fit to the actual model.

@Tau B'ob
Nice pic. Kudos for being my first cockpit cover I see painted.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#72 » Oct 07 2016 12:14

Huzzah - looks great :)

Admin hat - can you resize your photo though? Thanks! :)

- Tael.

Tau B'ob
Shas'Saal

Post#73 » Oct 07 2016 10:19

Yes, the cockpit cover is from Kael'yn.
The arms needed some filing on the fitting between shoulder and lower arm, but I the surface quality is good.
The cockpit cover needed no filing (I only needed to decapitate one of the pilots and reattach the head a little bit more ducked into the screens) and the surface was very good.
Overall two great additions which almost make my Stormsurge look like the Supremacy armor variant with the single big rail cannon.
When I am able to finish the paint job I also plan to attach the secondary weapons (burst cannons, air-bursting fragmentation) on the torso similar to the Supremacy.

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#74 » Oct 07 2016 11:42

Nice work, I really love these models though I agree Shapeways makes the price out of my league for the model. It's a damn shame.

Might look into getting some Riptide arms instead and try a little plasticard wizardry to make them bulkier. :)

Armataan
Shas'Saal

Post#75 » Oct 07 2016 09:28

Any chance of building an alternate left shoulder-pad that flares up like those of fire warriors, and xv8s? I've been trying to work out a design by duplicating the left thigh greave, and greenstuff sanding but I'm no sculptor.

This stuff is gorgeous btw. Great work.

Kedohan
Shas

Post#76 » Oct 19 2016 04:42

Hey,
you mean something like this?

Armataan
Shas'Saal

Post#77 » Oct 26 2016 03:45

Kedohan wrote:Hey,
you mean something like this?

I mean something exactly like that, yes.

Return to “Modelling”