Miond's experimentals (R'Myr)

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Zeruel
Shas

Re: Miond's experimentals (updates, pathfindes and commander WIP)

Post#37 » Jan 04 2018 10:20

Really nice work here! One advice for you, be careful about the roughness of the scratched surface on the sensor head, painting that surface will give you a bad result, why don't you use a more fine-grained paper?

Miond
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Miond's experimentals (updates, pathfindes and commander WIP)

Post#38 » Jan 05 2018 02:49

I do have 4k grit sanding pads, I just get tired of sanding (check the shark, been sanding for months), so most of what you see is done with my modelling files and little to no sanding yet. Many of my models need panel lines scored as well...

At least, since I haven't quite settled on a colour scheme yet I haven't been tempted to paint them before finishing the surface.

Miond
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Miond's experimentals (Early colourscheme)

Post#39 » Jan 28 2018 06:58

So, I finally decided on a colour-scheme for my units and figured I'd show it here, since this has pretty much become my project log anyway..
It's been over a decade since I last painted, happy to see it's not too difficult to get reasonable results :dead:

Gotta clean up the paint around the panel lines, then highlight and drybrush the metallic bits, only problem being that the soft feel from my airbrush means I have to mix paints on the fly if I want to match.

I'll probably wait till after I have all my models painted before I do the squad / rank markings, should have a steadier hand by then.

For glow effects and lenses I was thinking of going with a turquoise as a complimentary colour to the orange, thoughts? I'm also thinking that I should coat the model before I do that.. Thinking satin finish would look the most natural.

Comments, criticism, tips etc. are welcome.

Edit: How does one contact the moderators to request moving the thread?

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#40 » Jan 28 2018 07:12

Miond wrote:So, I finally decided on a colour-scheme for my units and figured I'd show it here, since this has pretty much become my project log anyway..
It's been over a decade since I last painted, happy to see it's not too difficult to get reasonable results

Comments, criticism, tips etc. are welcome.

Beautiful! That's a wonderful conversion. Glad to see you've still got it! :D

Miond wrote:How does one contact the moderators to request moving the thread?

Where do you want this thread moved to?

Miond
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#41 » Jan 28 2018 07:26

Arka0415 wrote:Beautiful! That's a wonderful conversion. Glad to see you've still got it! :D

"Still" :D
Old models for comparison:
Storage and moving twice hasn't been kind to them..

I tried to reclaim some of my old models for reuse, but between the wierd conversions I did when younger and the paint fusing with the plastic, most of the old plastic models are probably going to end up as casualties on terrain instead...

Arka0415 wrote:Where do you want this thread moved to?

Project logs please.

Congrats on your promotion as well :smile:

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#42 » Jan 28 2018 07:45

Topic moved :)

Nice work - I look forward to seeing more.

Miond
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#43 » Jan 31 2018 09:13

Bit of a teaser ;)

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#44 » Jan 31 2018 01:05

Consider me teased :crafty:

Miond
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Miond's experimentals (R'Alai)

Post#45 » Feb 05 2018 12:34

This weeks progress:

Image Image

Didn't like the spiky shoulders or static optics, so things got relocated a bit. I plan to give the R'Varna a similar treatment when I get one, some time after my wallet stops crying...

Rather happy that the head looks like it can still recede :biggrin:

Hiding in the background, a pair of blacklight marker drones, a pair of Remoras, and R'Myr (unassembled, still not sure how I want to modernise that suit yet..)

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#46 » Feb 05 2018 01:23

Yep. That's much better than the original!
I never liked the static head on that suit.

Miond
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#47 » Feb 05 2018 01:59

With regards to paint, I'm thinking I should use more orange on XV9 suits since they are supposed to be 'in your face', grabbing attention. For the same reason I think I should go with more pristine white armour as well, no camouflage.

Debating with myself whether I should do asymmetrical distribution of orange like what I did on the Firewarriors, or symmetrical like I'm doing on the tanks..

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#48 » Feb 06 2018 12:19

For battlesuits, I'd say asymetrical. Lovely conversions and fantastic painting. look forwards to seeing more.

Tau'va

Sniper

Miond
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Miond's experimentals (R'Myr)

Post#49 » Feb 14 2018 11:41

I decided to stay fairly simple with this one, replacing the waist with a moulded copy of the new XV8 one and replaced the neck with a small plastic ball as the model couldn't look up or down with the stock neck.
I may go back and add a few bits for detail, but the plan is to paint this batch next :fear:

Image Image

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Miond's experimentals (R'Myr)

Post#50 » Feb 14 2018 12:45

Nice!

Good idea about the neck too, that was my only issue with the FW Crisis suits.

Awaiting more...

Return to “Project Logs”