How do I smooth out the front of the Tau Commanders Thruster

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Jacket
Shas'Saal

How do I smooth out the front of the Tau Commanders Thruster

Post#1 » Oct 23 2016 02:22

How do I smooth out the front of the Tau commander thrusters? I'm talking about the new model. You snap the two halves of the jet together and then there is this huge line that runs all the way around the front of it and to the back and into the thrusters even. I'm trying to use liquid green stuff and the results I'm getting are terrible and lumpy. My camera got busted a few months back so I can't get a picture. The liquid green stuff worked fine for the smoothing out the inside of the thrusters, but not front piece that the thrusters are on. I'm not sure how to get that smooth look for them like in GW's page.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Ta ... ander-2015 6th image and the 360 degrees one and the frontal view shows the front panel of the thrusters to be very smooth (You can just barely make out the center line). Also I tried the liquid green stuff on the front after the fact I realized the two halves were not the same height so I can't even attempt to seal the hole. I guess I should file down the taller half to be the same height as the other? I've never attempted smoothing like this on a model before so I'm lost.

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui

Re: How do I smooth out the front of the Tau Commanders Thruster

Post#2 » Oct 23 2016 06:33

Filing, milliput, and more filing.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui

Post#3 » Oct 23 2016 06:56

I don't know if it's possible on this kit (the pics seems to tell yes) but how about sanding flat the assembly plane of each shell with fine sandpaper ?
It will reduce very slightly the width of each engine and you will lost assembly pegs, but you will then have a completely flat surfaces to glue together, without the need of putty.

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Oct 23 2016 03:05

CoffeeGrunt wrote:Filing, milliput, and more filing.

I'll try this and the liquid green stuff since it looks to have worked decently on other more even parts. If that doesn't work I'll look into miliput. Thanks for the info.

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Oct 23 2016 04:53

You can get very fine Milliput, and the stuff is great at gap filling like nothing else I've tried. :)

Return to “Modelling”