Advice for scratch building flyers

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
KuroRyu
Shas'La

Advice for scratch building flyers

Post#1 » Oct 26 2016 09:28

Some time ago I wrote myself a list that comprised my dream tau apocalypse army. I've always loved tau flyers and so that was the basis of my list which includes many barracudas, 2 tiger sharks, 2 orcas and a manta it's a list made entirely on rule of cool and is meant to be more impressive to look at on a table than necessarily an effective fighting force, although if it's the latter as well that would be a happy coincidence.

Now, I'm not a fountain of money and also not especially imaginative which are both sticking points to actually realising this dream. However reading CmdrCASh's manta build thread was very informative and inspired me. I'd like to solicit the community at large for extra advice on affordable materials and effective techniques that could be used to construct my own apocalypse flyer armada. Particularly with regards to orcas as even if I had the money for one, they're about as rare to find for sale as it gets.

Things like tools i will need, materials that will work, constructing practical flyer bases for them and methods that create good looking models would all be very much appreciated as well as common mistakes that I should avoid. Affordability is my highest concern however as i have a relatively low income. I'm willing to sacrifice some quality if it means making the project more affordable.

I thank you in advance for any help the ATT community can give.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Re: Advice for scratch building flyers

Post#2 » Oct 26 2016 09:45

If you want dimensions, I can PM you some dimensioned drawings in a week or two when I have a moment to sit down and make them.

KuroRyu
Shas'La

Post#3 » Oct 26 2016 09:59

That would be incredibly helpful. :biggrin:

TauMan
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Oct 27 2016 01:54

Agentarrow if you would add me to the PM on the drawing dimensions as well, I would be most grateful.

Do you know if anyone has ever scratch built a Dorsai bomber? And does anyone know what the stats on it would be?

Thanks
TauMan
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

CmdrCASh
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Oct 27 2016 07:44

KuroRyu, great to know that my thread helped, and I look forward to seeing your designs!

I'm going to be a little cautious here and say that it may take a number of tries before you get things to your satisfaction.
My first scratch built Tau flyer was the white AX-1-0 next to my Manta that you can see in the first picture the same thread made out of cardboard and sprues.
For me it was more about diving in and getting my hands dirty, and each subsequent build added to my experience on what worked for me and what didn't.

Though of course, there are many experienced modellers and scratchbuilders on this forum who can help cut down some of that learning curve :)

One piece of advice that may help is that for models on the tabletop, it's usually seen from a top-down view. Especially so for Tau flyers like Tigersharks and Mantas where the flying wing body essentially blocks the view of the underside. So if you need to sacrifice some quality, you can probably make do with some concessions on the bottom side.
Ka'ash Sept

Tearphoenix
Shas'La

Post#6 » Oct 27 2016 11:17

KuroRyu,
I am glad you made this thread!
I will be following this thread with great interest. I am obsessed with an Orca and have plans to one to (attempt to) scratch build one.

Agentarrow, would you mind adding me to the PM as well?

chris13f
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Oct 29 2016 03:13

On the orca subject I've wanted to design and print a master model. Where we change the scale to match up with the current devilfish engine. That way we can make a new fluffy orca that our community can get now that the orca is OOP. Also I've been drawing up tau aircraft for a while. I'm current king working on a dedicated night heavy fighter themed tau aircraft design and fluff. Let's work together. Send me a PM

Return to “Modelling”