[WIP] Master Shaman Hes'skah

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
TauMan
Shas'Ui

Re: [WIP] Master Shaman Hes'skah

Post#11 » Mar 30 2017 04:44

T113 I know you don't like your own painting, but not bad at all! ;)

Something to think about when painting: At what distance are you going to be viewing the model(s)?

If you're thinking about viewing them from a distance of say three to twelve inches then that's Golden Daemon level of painting.

If however you're only going to be looking at the distance of a table top, say 24 to 36 inches away; then that doesn't require such a detailed level of painting. This is sometimes called 'table top painting' or 'painting for the table top', there maybe other terms for this; but I that's what I've heard it called. Basically, does it look good on the table top?

TIP:
It looks like you used a shade, okay I still want to call them "washes"; but hey, I still have inks! Anyway, if you do use a shade/wash then you'll want to do your base coat and highlights first, before you do the shade. Okay, I can't tell exactly what you did on your model, but that's just one little thing you can do to help with blending colours.

Example:
On your 'soul fire' you might consider using the blue shade (the wash was Asurmen Blue, but I don't know what it's called now?) Add a third level of highlight with an almost white blue on the tips; which gives it three levels of colour, then use the blue shade to 'blend' the colours together.

There are a one-hundred and one ways to paint, and my method is just one of many. So I'm sure others here will have other suggestions.

Great Job!
TauMan
8th Edition is here: Keep Calm and Carry On!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

T113
Kroot'Ui

Post#12 » Mar 30 2017 04:50

Thanks for the tips mate :biggrin: I did use washes on the model, To try and give him an 'odd' look i went over his body with a blue wash but it's not very obvious in the pics. But like you said, its tabletop worthy so that's all i really need lol
The Future is uncertain. To stagnate is to die!

Ironsky
Shas'La

Post#13 » Mar 31 2017 12:53

Its amazing how paint brings out the detail! I really hadn't envisaged a feathered headdress. Great work, I've been looking forward to seeing this guy painted up!

Tael
Fio'O

Post#14 » Mar 31 2017 06:02

Nice work, particularly picking out all the details but not over stating any. Also, I seriously -Looked- for the pin rod and you've downplayed that and hidden it effectively man :)

Return to “Modelling”