[WIP] Master Shaman Hes'skah

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
T113
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

[WIP] Master Shaman Hes'skah

Post#1 » Nov 13 2016 12:12

So over at Kompletely Kroot they've been working on updating the kroot fandex to the latest edition and I volunteered myself to help them with the Backstories for their HQ characters. After i wrote them i decided to make them and so this is the Shaman character.

The grand shaman Hes’skah, a second generation shaper of the Jurraran Kindred, has become one with the spirits of his elders. Armed with a series of totems he channels the spirit energy of the land to devastating effect and can unleash elemental wrath onto his enemies.

During a battle against an Ork Waaaaagh, Hes’skah was brutally beaten by the warboss Guttah stabbah. During his recovery his slumber was haunted by their weirdboy, soon his hellish slumber became his reality. While in a comatose state he was attacked by nightmarish creatures as psychic energy seeped into his mind. The uncontrollable energy emitted from the Ork tainted the young Kroot and after coming out of the ordeal alive his body was imbued with a power he was not able to fully control. Raw psychic energy flowed through him and his kindred grew wary of him. Fires erupted around him, violent winds tore through flesh and rock and until he was able to manage his burden he left the kindred to wander the forest alone.

For many years Hes’skah was never seen, even his kindred’s greatest trackers could not find him, and he was presumed dead. A great storm broke out one night, the Ork Waaaagh returned and ambushed the Jurraran kindred. The kindred fought back but the Ork’s outnumbered them. Kroot after Kroot to the brutish assault until a mysterious creature appeared wreathed in ethereal energy. The mystical being was adorned with small totems and charms, an elegant headdress of exotic feathers hung from his head and crystallised quills protruded from the back of his skull. Hes’skah had returned. Wielding a staff made from a mysterious wood, which shimmered in and out of reality, he rained fire down on the Ork horde and rescued the remaining Kroot of his Kindred.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Really not looking forward to painting him :(

C&C welcome.
The Future is uncertain. To stagnate is to die!

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Re: [WIP] Master Shaman Hes'skah

Post#2 » Nov 13 2016 02:15

Nice. I particularly like the work on the head.

I need to mentally file that away for possible future plagiarism if you do not mind :D :D

T113
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#3 » Nov 13 2016 02:20

By all means go right ahead, just bare in mind the grean stuff headdress was a chore and a half to do. I had to do it in 3 sections over 4 days due to bit getting stuck together or sinking overnight and then setting :(

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#4 » Nov 13 2016 09:15

Wow, nicely built indeed. The various angles really show off the work.

Thanks - not often see Kroot on the forum :D

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Nov 14 2016 12:32

nic wrote:Nice. I particularly like the work on the head.

I need to mentally file that away for possible future plagiarism if you do not mind :D :D

Seconded, that is a really nice conversion there. I also really like the dynamic leg positioning. Good luck with painting, can't wait to see more!

T113
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#6 » Nov 14 2016 02:03

Thanks for the kind words guys. Does the paper clip, that he's pinned to, look out of place? i tried to make it look like a spiral of wind or energy as he levitates

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#7 » Nov 14 2016 02:48

When all painted you could colour it to match the predominant tone of the base or as grass etc.

I actually had to look again to see what you meant :D

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Nov 14 2016 02:50

Nope it doesn't look out of place. In the GS I took it for a vine or creeper, but wind/energy will look pretty cool!

T113
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#9 » Nov 14 2016 05:12

:? Hmmm I like your idea Tael and I might add a couple more and have it look like the ground is wiping up as he channels his power

T113
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Master Shaman Hes'skah - Now painted

Post#10 » Mar 30 2017 01:20

So I finally got around to getting some painting done! :P

As much as I don't enjoy it, due to being overly self-critical (as we probably are), I think he turned out ok. If i was a better painter i would blend the blues on the spirit fire (on the base) and do more intricate face paint but since I'm not I'm leaving him as he is.

All C&C welcome guys!

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#11 » Mar 30 2017 04:44

T113 I know you don't like your own painting, but not bad at all! ;)

Something to think about when painting: At what distance are you going to be viewing the model(s)?

If you're thinking about viewing them from a distance of say three to twelve inches then that's Golden Daemon level of painting.

If however you're only going to be looking at the distance of a table top, say 24 to 36 inches away; then that doesn't require such a detailed level of painting. This is sometimes called 'table top painting' or 'painting for the table top', there maybe other terms for this; but I that's what I've heard it called. Basically, does it look good on the table top?

TIP:
It looks like you used a shade, okay I still want to call them "washes"; but hey, I still have inks! Anyway, if you do use a shade/wash then you'll want to do your base coat and highlights first, before you do the shade. Okay, I can't tell exactly what you did on your model, but that's just one little thing you can do to help with blending colours.

Example:
On your 'soul fire' you might consider using the blue shade (the wash was Asurmen Blue, but I don't know what it's called now?) Add a third level of highlight with an almost white blue on the tips; which gives it three levels of colour, then use the blue shade to 'blend' the colours together.

There are a one-hundred and one ways to paint, and my method is just one of many. So I'm sure others here will have other suggestions.

Great Job!
TauMan
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

T113
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#12 » Mar 30 2017 04:50

Thanks for the tips mate :biggrin: I did use washes on the model, To try and give him an 'odd' look i went over his body with a blue wash but it's not very obvious in the pics. But like you said, its tabletop worthy so that's all i really need lol

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#13 » Mar 31 2017 12:53

Its amazing how paint brings out the detail! I really hadn't envisaged a feathered headdress. Great work, I've been looking forward to seeing this guy painted up!

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#14 » Mar 31 2017 06:02

Nice work, particularly picking out all the details but not over stating any. Also, I seriously -Looked- for the pin rod and you've downplayed that and hidden it effectively man :)

Return to “Modelling”