Ta'unar Magnetizing Question.

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Jacket
Shas'Saal

Ta'unar Magnetizing Question.

Post#1 » Nov 15 2016 07:23

Okay I have my Ta'unar and its almost ready to be magnetized I got my drill ready as I'm going to magnetize a few more things like the upper body to the lower legs ect. Those all look fairly straight forward but I am nervose since this is the first time I'm doing any of this.

My main problem is I have the pulse ordinance multidriver and I have the heavy rail cannon array. I want to magnetize both so they can be swapped out but the weird locking system looks difficult to magnetize on the back. Has anyone done this before? How should I drill it or approach it? I'm completely new to magnetizing and drilling so the more specific the better and pictures always help. My camera is broken so i can't take any to explain what I mean.

El'mo
Shas'El

Re: Ta'unar Magnetizing Question.

Post#2 » Nov 15 2016 12:32

There is a general magnetising guide here: [WIP] Tutorial - Magnetisation.

It will answer a lot of your magnetisation questions along with a section on magnetising the KX139 Ta’unar Supremacy Armour although it is aimed at the Pulse Ordinance Multi-driver and not swapping with the Heavy Rail Cannon Array.

It should be possible to do what you want but I can not really say how as I do not have the Rail Cannon Array to play with.

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Nov 15 2016 12:39

It looks like he won't be able to mount the Heavy Rail Cannon due to how he magnetized it. Probably not the missiles either. He magnetized the pulse ordinance driver itself and possibly glued the mounting rail as he calls it to the actual back of the Ta'unar. I need to magnetize the Ta'unars mounting rail itself. Hmm this is going to be really tricky. Still he gives me the gist of how to do it so let me go check measurements. Might need to buy slightly larger magnets.

Edit
It looks like I'm going to need 4 mm by 2mm magnets. Possibly 3mm by 2mm.

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Nov 15 2016 01:35

Another question. I got my dremel (rotary tool) now I'm looking for a good selection of bits for it to do the drilling with does anyone have any suggestions. I seem to have conflicting information. Some people say dremels and rotary tools will melt the plastic and resin. If this is the case then what am I looking for? Other people say they work fine for this.

El'mo
Shas'El

Post#5 » Nov 15 2016 01:58

I use a Dremel 8200 and it works fine on plastic, resin and metal.

Make sure you have a variable speed model and set it on the lowest speed, use a sharp drill (I use HSS bits) as blunt ones will cause more friction and therefore make melting the plastic more of a risk.

High speed cutter bits like this one are useful for enlarging holes and heavy duty shaping as long as you remember to reduce the drill speed. I tend not to use cutting wheels or sanding disks as these have a high risk of melting plastics due to the friction caused in the way they are used.

Also... If you do need any more advice then the link I initially posted has loads of information - plus I am the author and have a bit of a magnet addiction... More examples of how magnets can be used can be found in my other magnetising threads here: AM and here: DA

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Nov 15 2016 02:08

I've got a dremel 4000 and I'm pretty sure it's got a variable speed of 5,000 to 35,000 rpm. In the guide it says to match the drill bit with the magnet size. I'm struggling to find bits to attach to my dremel for the 12mmx8mm and 8mmx2mm magnets.

Edit
It's easy for me to find bits that are 1.5mm-6.5mm but as soon as they start getting bigger than this 8mm and 12mm I'm not sure if my dremel can fit those bits it starts showing an actual full sized power drill. Can my dremel take those bits too or what? I'm confused.

Edit
Can you show me some examples of the drill bits you used or would buy to use on drilling the Ta'unar? Just so I have an idea what to look for.
Last edited by Jacket on Nov 15 2016 02:33, edited 1 time in total.

El'mo
Shas'El

Post#7 » Nov 15 2016 02:32

For these large magnet sizes I ended up using a full sized battery powered drill (again on low speed) but make sure you slowly increase the size of hole as a guide for the large drill bit. You can also use the Dremel to make the largest hole you can then very carefully use the high speed cutter bit to increase the size.

You may also want to invest in the DREMEL® Detailer's Grip Attachment as it makes controlling the Dremel far easier...

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Nov 15 2016 02:34

I don't got the cash for a power drill and it wouldn't be a wise investment right now lol. So I'm going with option b. Thanks for the help. This is nerve racking since I only get one shot at this. Thanks for the help.

Could I use multiple smaller magnets in place of one large one?

El'mo
Shas'El

Post#9 » Nov 15 2016 02:41

I used that size of magnet because it was what I could get hold of. If you can get slightly smaller magnets it should still work but don't swing it around by the head ;)

One magnet is far better than many smaller magnets as you have to make sure all the smaller magnets line up and there is more chance of getting the polarity wrong.

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Nov 15 2016 02:46

Okay gotcha. I think I'll do it that way then. Or just drill the weapons out and glue the stuff that needs larger magnets. I have thinking to do. Thanks for the help. My knowledge of magnets and drills has leapt forward a lightyear.

Return to “Modelling”