Ta'unar Magnetizing Question.

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Deet
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Ta'unar Magnetizing Question.

Post#11 » Nov 15 2016 05:51

For what it's worth, I've always drilled my magnet holes by hand. I have a dremel, but it's too easy for something to go wrong with a power tool when you're working with tiny handheld parts- whether it's destroying the part or taking a chunk out of your hand. Pin vices are cheap, readily available, and do the trick just fine. And you have full control over how deep you're cutting. No chance for melting plastic. For larger bits, I have a small 3-jaw chuck designed for hex attachment that I just use by hand.
Same as if you do use the dremel, work yourself up in size slowly if drilling big holes.

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Nov 16 2016 11:01

I actually had enough foresight to buy a small vice clamp normally meant for jewlery or slightly larger objects so it can hold small pieces well (in theory) I'll let you know how it works out when I actually do my drilling. The thing is it might be too small to hold sub assemblies of the model though which means extra work making sure all the holes I'm drilling add up.

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Nov 16 2016 04:58

I got another question. I can't get any N52 magnets in the sizes I need to hold up the guns. Do you think N40 will be sufficient for the 3mmx1.5mm that will be holding the mounting rail plus the guns on it to the back?

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#14 » Nov 16 2016 05:07

N52 - 3 x 1.5mm

My favoured supplier ;)

Also if you are going to get into magnetisation then standardise your sizes and buy in bulk :)

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Nov 16 2016 06:44

Hmm searching ebay and no 12mmx8mm but none in n52 I did find all the other sizes. Would 10mmx2mm n52 suffice instead of the 12mmx8mm?

Also I don't plan on magnetizing too much stuff. Just the major set pieces like my Ta'unar and larger things like that. Anything from FW I get in the future since its so expensive in CAD.

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#16 » Nov 17 2016 01:18

You should get away with the lower strength magnet due to the large size.

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Nov 18 2016 04:01

Excellent in that case just waiting for some cash and then ordering the magnets.

pilky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#18 » Nov 18 2016 06:17

If you're wanting the pulse cannons to be replaceable with the missiles or rail gun, then you actually want to stick the pulse cannons to the cylinder part and magnetise THAT to the main body. I can't 100% guarantee the fit as I haven't got the other weapons yet, but it should work for them in theory from what I've seen online.

I use two 5x3mm magnets in the groove on each shoulder, and under the cylinder. You'll want to have the magnets nearer the front though so all the weight of the guns is pressing down, rather than possibly sliding backwards. I can post photos tomorrow if you need

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#19 » Nov 20 2016 04:07

Photos would help.

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#20 » Jan 04 2017 04:04

Just a quick update. I trilled the back where the weapons go tonight and there was one close call where I almost ruined it, but otherwise It's turned out great. I went with the 5mmx3mm n52 magnets and they were just a tad too large so the hole went outside the area I needed just a tiny amount, but otherwise they are fairly snug for a first time drill.

With the weapon slotted into place you can't see where the mistakes where I had to go outside the slot. The magnets are so strong so far I'm just going with one each per shoulder for the pulse ordinance array, but can always add more if that's not enough.

Still waiting on the magnets for the waist. Otherwise I am ready to drill as much of it as possible now.

Return to “Modelling”