Is it worth magnetizing wargear options you don't think you'll ever use?

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Spiraticus
Shas'Saal

Is it worth magnetizing wargear options you don't think you'll ever use?

Post#1 » Nov 30 2016 12:36

Hey guys, quick question. I got some new Crisis suits and got around to magnetizing some options. But then it hit me: Do I ever even use some of these options? Like the Flamer, Burst Cannon, and Shield Generators. I've never used them ingame on my crisis suits and I haven't seen any batreps with them.

So really, my question is. Should I got through the trouble (even if it isn't that much, but it eats into my quantity of magnets) of magnetizing a lot more weapon options than I will probably ever use?

Val'Sitsor
Shas'Saal

Re: Is it worth magnetizing wargear options you don't think you'll ever use?

Post#2 » Nov 30 2016 01:08

Thing with "extra" weapon parts are kind of funny. What can I say from personal experience: It's ok to not magnetize burst canons and similar stuff but one day you will come up with brilliant roster and find yourself in need for one particular doubleflamer crisis suit (to fill the formation slot, to spend extra points and so on) or you will be asked to play kill team and burst cannon would be totally fine. Usually such a things occurs right before the actual game.
So, after spending some evenings magnetizing and painting such weapons in crazy hurry I advice you to prepare at least one pair of each weapon just in case. It's ok if there would be not so much less popular weapon options with magnets, but it would be better to have some.

Spiraticus
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Nov 30 2016 02:01

Val'Sitsor wrote:Usually such a things occurs right before the actual game.
So, after spending some evenings magnetizing and painting such weapons in crazy hurry I advice you to prepare at least one pair of each weapon just in case.

That sounds like a good idea. So I can at least be like "look at this guy, that's what the rest have" or something. I play only "competitive casual" with my friend group. It's large enough a friend group that every army is represented on the table.

SinisterSamurai
Kor'La
Kor'La

Post#4 » Nov 30 2016 04:00

If nothing else, it'll give you more practice magnetizing. And sometimes, wargear changes from edition to edition.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Nov 30 2016 05:08

I must admit I magnetise mostly for future proofing rather than for game by game variability. I'm yet to sort and paint up any kind of alternative load outs for any of my units beyond my riptides and ghostkeel.... Then I've never used them!

Jochmann
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Nov 30 2016 05:52

I magnetize every weapon option and the shields, but none of the extra equipment.
But I use most of the options. I like flamers and burstcannons, and I play killteam almost as often as 40k. I think it is totally worth it.

Jefffar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#7 » Nov 30 2016 06:55

I still have a bunch of Fireknife and Helios suits sitting around from my early days in the hobby.

You do not know what the next rules shift will be or where it will come from. Before 6th edition gave us the Wall of Death and Supporting Fire rules most Tau players thought the Flamer was pointless outside of specialized lists, now it's found in a lot of lists. The next IG , Ork or Tyranid codex could change the meta back to one of lots of bodies on the table making the Burst Cannon a great weapon.

We just don't know.

Val'Sitsor
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Nov 30 2016 07:18

Genesteler Cult is already here, so burst canons and especially flamers becfme more relevant.

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » Nov 30 2016 10:22

I doubt Burst Cannons will ever become relevant unless their stats get buffed. Like AP4 or something.
I'd much rather take Cyclic Ion Blaster to negate potential FnP instead of an additional AP5 shot any day.

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#10 » Nov 30 2016 11:23

I magnitize my Tau to use all the options, that doesn't mean I paint all the options. One mistake I made starting out with marines was just building things to one set option. Then a new codex comes out, or new data slates and suddenly is a reason to use a option I never would take otherwise.

I say Magnetize while it's still in the assembly stage. Is always easier to do when you have everything out. Is very annoying you attempt later or to be stuck with a one trick model.

materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#11 » Nov 30 2016 12:07

I would also recommend having at least 1 pair of every weapon (at least in regards to your crisis suits) because every gun is surprisingly usable (although some are much more niche than others).

I personally even magnetized my Coldstar Battlesuit, just in case variable load-outs become a thing in future additions.

As for magnetizing wargear options, I rarely do that. I usually just say "This suit is WYSIWYG, and has a shield generator/stims/VRT". I also try to have my suits have fairly differing/dynamic poses so it's easy to remember which one has the spiffy wargear thing in the squad.
----- Akul Contingent -----
Engagement Results 54-18-8

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#12 » Nov 30 2016 02:28

Agreed Matter! Dramatic posing is a huge factor to on where you place your interchangeable parts.

Also yous magnets that sit firmly together, last thing you want it pasts to fall off and get lost.

Spiraticus
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Nov 30 2016 07:11

Done magnetizing them! Thanks for helping me make up my mind.

Chris
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#14 » Nov 30 2016 11:10

I never thought to use Flamers or Burstcannons on my Crisis for example. But then, there was it. The Mach where I needed two Crisis with double Flames. A few matches later I played a double retaliation cadre against Orcs. And imagine what I needed? Exactly. Flamers and Burstcannons.

Even the odds are very small to need those weapons I would magnetism them. We have hat great possibility to swap weapons each game and to have the perfect tool, and I think the option to potentionally do it is great.

So,yes. I magnetism all weapons. At least 6. This is the double version or a standard Crisis Team.

Return to “Modelling”