Kill Team Conversions

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Paulson
Shas'Ui

Kill Team Conversions

Post#1 » Dec 08 2016 03:46

One of the local stores is hosting Kill Team events which has me chomping at the bit to play in since I vastly prefer skirmish scale games. The smaller number of models means I can pay more attention to the conversion work and individualizing the models. Since the goal of Kill Team is for faster paced fun games vs larger competitive style play I wanted to experiment with stuff I wouldn't normally field. Which brings me to Vespid.

I've always been a bit of a Tau purist in that I'm not overly fond of the allied alien models, I think they cover a number of crucial roles within the army list but I really prefer the high tech look of the Tau race so I often convert Tau models that can be used as proxies in place of the allied aliens.

8-9 years ago I'd converted this model to serve as a Vespid, ultimately the plan was to make a couple of full units but it was hard to locate the parts in the quantity I'd need and there was a lot of work that went into the conversion so I only ended up making a total of 3 models. It was built using a jump pack from a xv-15 stealth suit and the wings are from a sniper drone. The gun barrel was made from a flight stand peg and some die punched styrene discs.

Once I learned how to cast models in resin I could have duplicated the parts but I would have had to take the conversions apart and strip the paint which I didn't want to do since they are still some of my favorite pieces that I've done so the idea of Vespid proxies have been sitting on the backburner in my mind for quite some time.

Kill Team prompted me to see what I could do with the concept and put some of my 3d skills and casting skills to use with an updated effort. Here's some of the WIP shots. The left most model is the original conversion, the middle is a photoshopped model with a to scale render, and the right is the same render with color added to match the original model.

With a bit more refinement the jump pack is pretty much finished and ready for printing. The center image has it's left pair of wings removed in order to show the packs' body details.

Then I needed something that'd look the part of the blaster so I've been working on a part that I can use to replace the front section of a rifle or blaster. I still need to add a few more details but this is a rough mock up for how it'd pair up.

Tael
Fio'O

Re: Kill Team Conversions

Post#2 » Dec 08 2016 04:11

Looking very good - in some respects you could look to parts that can create a Fireblade in exotic tau gear for such Killteam operations.

The refined vespid rifle is cool; in the fluff if I recall, the guns radiation is bad juju for Tau - perhaps an opportunity to make an equivelant weapon - which in aside allows its use elsewhere and not be tied to the Vespid-Like team?

These toe-dip water testing killteam forces are great for the hobby.

Ironsky
Shas'La

Post#3 » Dec 08 2016 04:58

That's brilliant! I love the shoulder pad on the right arm, and am definitely going to try to fit the miniature burst cannon into my collection somewhere. I made a very similar squad a few years back, but armed with pulse pistols, katanas and a stealth field drone.

Interested to see how this progresses...

Paulson
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Dec 08 2016 05:19

While reviewing the design one of the things that stood out to me is that the Neuron Blasters are some sort of crystal based weapon which at the time of their release was unique, now the pathfinders have the ion rifles which seem to use some sort of crystal component for the power base. I'm not really up on any of the fluff or story elements but at least based on the models it would seem that they've managed to bridge some of the alien tech into tau suited weaponry?

I'd considered doing doing a burst cannon style barrel like the original conversion but after giving it additional thought I wanted something that'd be easy to convert with transplanting onto the existing rifle stock and also mimic the original design to set if apart more distinctly as some of my friends had commented that the burst barrel seemed a bit too close to the stealth suit weapon design and made them immediately think of a burst cannon as opposed to a more exotic ap3 weapon. From an old school Tau design perspective I think the exposed crystal array would have felt out of place on a Tau weapon, but since they've now used them with ion rifles perhaps it doesn't clash quite as much. I've been trying to look at a lot of the more recent designs and allow some of that to sink in, but being from the old guard of the original Tau range of models it doesn't always make it easy to wrap my head around newer elements.

The current design is a blend of the of the neuron blaster with the upper housing of the breacher blaster, perhaps granting it some shielding or other design function to stabilize the energy output? The only element that I'm not entirely sure on is that the barrel housing is slightly asymmetrical with the upper portion being larger. I'd used the strain leader's weapon as a reference which is longer and slightly more top heavy where the standard troop has a slightly shorter and more symmetrical barrel. While I do like how it looks my gut instinct when designing weapon housings would be to have both housing portions mirrored/symmetrical in design. I'm going to play with the model some more and see how it comfortable feels in each layout.
Last edited by Paulson on Dec 08 2016 05:27, edited 1 time in total.

Paulson
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Dec 08 2016 05:24

Ironsky wrote:That's brilliant! I love the shoulder pad on the right arm, and am definitely going to try to fit the miniature burst cannon into my collection somewhere. I made a very similar squad a few years back, but armed with pulse pistols, katanas and a stealth field drone.

Interested to see how this progresses...

The shoulder pads are from Imperial Guard Cadian models, the right one I cut out a notch to allow the fire warriors smaller pad to nest into, where the left shoulder was unaltered other than being cut to fit onto the FW arm. Since they are intended to be flight capable units I though the rounded elements would be more streamlined looking than the standard boxy FW pads.

Demorte
Gue'La

Post#6 » Dec 08 2016 10:46

Am enjoying this conversion update. Love 3d conversion parts!

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#7 » Dec 09 2016 01:36

Lovely!
I was looking for quite some time for a suitable way to represent the Neutron Blaster and eventually decided to mix Pulse Carbines with some other Firewarrior bit (i think it was an antennae) which would look a lot better if i had actual modeling skills. :D

I like your Jump Packs however i think the actual backpack part of it is a bit too bulky! I for one use the rotor wings from a 3rd party source which fit nicely witha bit greenstuff and even though they are overall a lot bigger the backpack part of it is not as a bulky.

I could make a picture once i'm home to show but it'll be late today. Like about 12-13 hours from now late. :D

JanusCalma
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Dec 14 2016 09:19

Nice conversion!

I tried a similar approach and built my Vespids as Tau with Jump-packs.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#9 » Dec 14 2016 03:14

Oh i totally forgot to take pictures of my Vespid-Conversions. Welp here we go.

So here a few things to say to them. I build them from old Firewarriors i got on ebay and they are obviously early WIP. The weapon conversion needs a lot of cleaning up and there are gaps between their back and jetpack and in some other places that need greenstuff filling.
The already painted guy will get his gun replaced since it's a bit too oversized afterall and his paintjob isn't 100% done either.

Anyways those as well are for my Killteam (HoR though). :P

Paulson
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Jan 09 2017 01:39

I started working on a few items to help tech out some of my non Tau units, here's some WIP Templar gear.

ImageImage

Return to “Modelling”