Kill Team & Other Conversions

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Paulson
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Kill Team & Other Conversions

Post#1 » Dec 08 2016 03:46

One of the local stores is hosting Kill Team events which has me chomping at the bit to play in since I vastly prefer skirmish scale games. The smaller number of models means I can pay more attention to the conversion work and individualizing the models. Since the goal of Kill Team is for faster paced fun games vs larger competitive style play I wanted to experiment with stuff I wouldn't normally field. Which brings me to Vespid.

I've always been a bit of a Tau purist in that I'm not overly fond of the allied alien models, I think they cover a number of crucial roles within the army list but I really prefer the high tech look of the Tau race so I often convert Tau models that can be used as proxies in place of the allied aliens.

8-9 years ago I'd converted this model to serve as a Vespid, ultimately the plan was to make a couple of full units but it was hard to locate the parts in the quantity I'd need and there was a lot of work that went into the conversion so I only ended up making a total of 3 models. It was built using a jump pack from a xv-15 stealth suit and the wings are from a sniper drone. The gun barrel was made from a flight stand peg and some die punched styrene discs.

Once I learned how to cast models in resin I could have duplicated the parts but I would have had to take the conversions apart and strip the paint which I didn't want to do since they are still some of my favorite pieces that I've done so the idea of Vespid proxies have been sitting on the backburner in my mind for quite some time.
Last edited by Paulson on Jul 08 2017 02:38, edited 3 times in total.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Re: Kill Team Conversions

Post#2 » Dec 08 2016 04:11

Looking very good - in some respects you could look to parts that can create a Fireblade in exotic tau gear for such Killteam operations.

The refined vespid rifle is cool; in the fluff if I recall, the guns radiation is bad juju for Tau - perhaps an opportunity to make an equivelant weapon - which in aside allows its use elsewhere and not be tied to the Vespid-Like team?

These toe-dip water testing killteam forces are great for the hobby.

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Dec 08 2016 04:58

That's brilliant! I love the shoulder pad on the right arm, and am definitely going to try to fit the miniature burst cannon into my collection somewhere. I made a very similar squad a few years back, but armed with pulse pistols, katanas and a stealth field drone.

Interested to see how this progresses...

Paulson
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Dec 08 2016 05:19

I'd considered doing doing a burst cannon style barrel like the original conversion but after giving it additional thought I wanted something that'd be easy to convert with transplanting onto the existing rifle stock.
Last edited by Paulson on Jun 15 2017 10:49, edited 2 times in total.

Paulson
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Dec 08 2016 05:24

Ironsky wrote:That's brilliant! I love the shoulder pad on the right arm, and am definitely going to try to fit the miniature burst cannon into my collection somewhere. I made a very similar squad a few years back, but armed with pulse pistols, katanas and a stealth field drone.

Interested to see how this progresses...

The shoulder pads are from Imperial Guard Cadian models, the right one I cut out a notch to allow the fire warriors smaller pad to nest into, where the left shoulder was unaltered other than being cut to fit onto the FW arm. Since they are intended to be flight capable units I though the rounded elements would be more streamlined looking than the standard boxy FW pads.

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#6 » Dec 08 2016 10:46

Am enjoying this conversion update. Love 3d conversion parts!

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Dec 09 2016 01:36

Lovely!
I was looking for quite some time for a suitable way to represent the Neutron Blaster and eventually decided to mix Pulse Carbines with some other Firewarrior bit (i think it was an antennae) which would look a lot better if i had actual modeling skills. :D

I like your Jump Packs however i think the actual backpack part of it is a bit too bulky! I for one use the rotor wings from a 3rd party source which fit nicely witha bit greenstuff and even though they are overall a lot bigger the backpack part of it is not as a bulky.

I could make a picture once i'm home to show but it'll be late today. Like about 12-13 hours from now late. :D

JanusCalma
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Dec 14 2016 09:19

Nice conversion!

I tried a similar approach and built my Vespids as Tau with Jump-packs.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Dec 14 2016 03:14

Oh i totally forgot to take pictures of my Vespid-Conversions. Welp here we go.

So here a few things to say to them. I build them from old Firewarriors i got on ebay and they are obviously early WIP. The weapon conversion needs a lot of cleaning up and there are gaps between their back and jetpack and in some other places that need greenstuff filling.
The already painted guy will get his gun replaced since it's a bit too oversized afterall and his paintjob isn't 100% done either.

Anyways those as well are for my Killteam (HoR though). :P

Paulson
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Jan 09 2017 01:39

I started working on a few items to help tech out some of my non Tau units, here's some WIP Templar gear.

ImageImage

Icknaybob
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Jan 20 2017 07:37

Any updates on the jump packs being printed?

Glarblar
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Jun 09 2017 09:31

I have a 3d printer as well, and I am also a bit of a tau purist which makes me really interested in this... Have you been able to make an .stl file for these?

Paulson
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#13 » Jun 11 2017 03:15

This project was on the back burner for quite a while but I finally finished up the 3d model and it's headed off to printing and once everything is ready it'll be up on http://www.reddogminis.com :)
Last edited by Paulson on Jul 08 2017 02:39, edited 1 time in total.

Glarblar
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Jun 11 2017 05:37

Excellent! Did you happen to figure out a weapon design too?

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#15 » Jun 11 2017 06:01

Very cool and nice relaunch of your parts work :)

Paulson
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#16 » Jun 11 2017 10:31

Glarblar wrote:Excellent! Did you happen to figure out a weapon design too?

I have something for a weapon option underway.

Tael wrote:Very cool and nice relaunch of your parts work :)

Thanks, starting to get the hobbying bug back. Life and health issues had me kinda burned out for a while.
Last edited by Paulson on Jun 11 2017 10:49, edited 1 time in total.

Flyincaveman
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Jun 14 2017 09:35

So, after a long time of lurking, you sir, finally gave me a reason to make an account.

I'm patiently awaiting/tracking that jet pack. I've been scouring the web and every possible corner to find exactly that.

XV15 conversion made easy, here I come! Just grab a fire warrior, that jetpack, double shoulder pads, plus an extra pad on the chest to bulk him out a tad bit... bam.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#18 » Jun 15 2017 11:53

And as Fio'O, I look forward to this kitbash project showcased on the forums ;) :D

Return to “Modelling”