Devilfish & SMS

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Blade Runner
Shas'Saal

Devilfish & SMS

Post#1 » Dec 17 2016 11:19

Just bought a devilfish, I planned on adding SMS drones but there were no sprues for them in the box. Is this normal? If so were do I get the SMS for my devilfish.

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: Devilfish & SMS

Post#2 » Dec 17 2016 11:46

Yes, it is normal. The Devilfish kit only comes with the basic components needed to make a Tau heavy vehicle hull (including the engines) with a burst cannon in the chin turret, plus two gun drone sprues. The SMS are included in a seperate heavy weapons sprue that includes an extra vehicle burst cannon and the chin turret sensor suite, which can be found in the Hammerhead/Skyray kit (along with the other sprue that has the Skyray turret bits on it).
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Dec 18 2016 02:18

The best bang for your buck would be to buy the Hammerhead / Skyray kit. You could then buy the devilfish nose turret off of eBay for a couple of dollars and be able to have all three tank options.

Alternatively, you could purchase just the SMS turrets off eBay (sans the pods), and stick SMS pods in the turrets themselves if you have a few laying about. You may have to clean it up a bit, but it will work and look right.

As far as tactics go, the SMS on a devilfish is not usually taken. It has the capability of giving the devilfish more of a punch, but the vehicle is not really brought for it's shooting capabilities.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

Darnok
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Dec 30 2016 12:18

If you are willing to convert, you could use the SMS coming with the current Firewarrior kit. You need two, but apart from that those bits are easy to come by.

madrox
Shas

Post#5 » Jan 05 2017 12:44

dealing with this exact issue myself and i found the various bits on ebay to part them together. IF it doesn't work out i will be casting copies of what i do have to make it work.

These are the times i really want to buy a 3d printer.
Tau (@2k) and Dark Angels (@1k) Grey Knights (@1k)

GrimWolf
Shas

Post#6 » Feb 25 2017 11:01

For this I converted a couple of gun drones some time ago, using a couple of missile pods each that I had left over from assembling crisis suits.

Return to “Modelling”