XV8 Battlesuit posing and magnetizing

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Meshuggah
Shas

XV8 Battlesuit posing and magnetizing

Post#1 » Jan 25 2017 03:28

For the greater good! I began building my XV8 Battlesuits when a friend advised me to stop. He explained that you can really customize the poses of the battlesuits to look how you want it. I have stopped and instead of just throwing a dart at YouTube videos, I would like some guidance from anyone here who can provide some experienced choices.

As far as magnetizing goes, I have seen which areas and weapons/add ons can be magnetized. The video I saw on YouTube had the magnets on very sloppy. I'm looking to magnetize what can be switched based on who i'm playing as well as it look very good. I am looking for precise measurements for the magnets and the corresponding drill bit size.

If there is a trusted YouTube or site that I can be directed too, i'll gladly accept that. I normally do my own research, however since I still have the fresh scent of my first sprew still on me, I want to seek the wisdom of tenured builders and players. Thanks in advance to the help.

Frederick
Shas

Re: XV8 Battlesuit posing and magnetizing

Post#2 » Jan 25 2017 03:32

I'm not sure if this is the kind of reply that you're looking for, but I have all of my crisis suits and crisis commanders magnetized at multiple points. I used 3mm X 1mm Neodymium magnets and use a 1/8" drill bit to drill the recesses for the magnets. Once they're in, I smooth over the gaps with Milliput, and then prime+paint as normal. It's not completely invisible, but it's not bad, and the magnets are more than strong enough for anything I can put on a suit.

Kindrin
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jan 25 2017 07:42

For good and ill, I learned mostly from trial and error. One thing I did was to orient all the magnets on the suits/drone stands and weapons/drones so that they are universally interchangeable. I use the drone stands to orient the magnets as they would be in a suit's arm/shoulder and, after having to dig out a couple that went in the wrong way, I apply a dot of paint to identify which side should face out.

My magnets and bits are packed but I'll try to find the sizes.

I bought a dremel tool with a flex shaft and that works well to drill the holes and, with care, not fingers. :)

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jan 26 2017 02:48

Magnetizing the weapons is highly recommended. If there is a unit out there that should have their stuff magnetized then it's Crisis Suits.

The poses however...no I don't think it's needed to magnetize legs and arms and heads or whatsoever. Just let your imagination guide you and cut, glue and green stuff away until they look as awesome as you want.

materpillar
Shas'La

Post#5 » Jan 26 2017 09:11

I never really looked on YouTube for posing ideas. I'd strongly recommend you just go look through people's Cadre Building threads elsewhere on this site and look at how other people posed their crisis suits. That'll give you a fair bit of inspiriation for how you want yours to look.
----- Akul Contingent -----
Engagement Results 52-17-8

Ifrit
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jan 26 2017 10:18

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14639

A tutorial for magnetizing XV8s that might help

I'd also magnetize the drones. There was a tutorial for it but apparently it didn't get stickied. :/
Basically you cut the top post off drill a hole for a magnet then stick one to the under side of the drone.

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Jan 26 2017 12:49

Woud not worry about magnetizing the body unless it interfered with storage and carry. Bulk models like the Riptide I have removable at the torso and arms, but a crisis suit is pretty compact already.

Return to “Modelling”