Conversion idea for kroot

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Shas'ONovalie
Shas

Conversion idea for kroot

Post#1 » Jan 25 2017 04:05

I for one have personally never liked the kroot models but the rules always reminded me of my first army catachan guard.

Would it be acceptable to use slightly modified catachan figs to be kroot?

They already have more skin then armour so the 6+ save wouldn't be an issue, they look extra strong already so the str 4 wouldn't be a stretch, I wouldn't be using sniper rounds (I have sniper drones) so besides filing off the few imp icons and putting Tau icons in their place....

Anyway basically I'm asking for advice on lasgun modifications to represent the slightly better stats of a kroot rifle.
Please no green stuff right now.

The background I was going with was forgotten Imperial world, slightly higher gravity compared to Terra, thick forests, civilized world classification. More details as I make them. Joined the empire quickly and easily, became auxiliary units.
I know fast and dirty but it's still early.

red'gue'vesa
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Conversion idea for kroot

Post#2 » Jan 25 2017 04:13

The only issue I see would be players confusing them with gue've'sa.
Live by the law, die by the sword

Shas'kamont'yr
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Jan 25 2017 05:25

If you're just doing it for friendly games, then I'd say yes. For friendly campaigns I've been running IG as Aux units alongside my Tau sept. All the negatives of the Gue'vesa of course, but more positives of the Tau. My veteran units use pulse weapons and better armor saves...

Shas'ONovalie
Shas

Post#4 » Jan 25 2017 05:58

If there wasn't any issues with this I was gonna expand my fire warrior core with cadian legs and hands for breachers

Macknight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Jan 25 2017 09:52

I would use the catachan models as some other regiment, the catachans are some of the most dedicated loyalists IG regiments; there is a short story about them left by the crusade on the Eastern fringe, they went all out to attempt assassination on a ethereal.
For the greater good!

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Jan 26 2017 02:45

I don't see any problem with Catachans as Kroot tbh. Both have similar stats and Kroot weapons are easily explained as Tau-modified lasguns. :P
Should be okay in most tournaments as well if you tell your opponent beforehand that they are Kroot. I've seen crazier stuff on tournaments people where okay with. ^^

Shas'ONovalie
Shas

Post#7 » Jan 26 2017 10:37

Ok so I'm getting the vibe that the general consensus is that it would be an approved conversion.

Macknight wrote:I would use the catachan models as some other regiment, the catachans are some of the most dedicated loyalists IG regiments; there is a short story about them left by the crusade on the Eastern fringe, they went all out to attempt assassination on a ethereal.

Wasn't going to use that world but a forgotten in the bureaucracy world near Tau space that was annexed fairly easily.

Ok so back to my main question: what should be done (if anything) conversion wise to make the lasguns look more fitting? I know that to explain the stat boost so earth caste just upgraded the internal components like the firing chamber focusing lens and battery capabilities. But what about looks? Or just paint them a non metallic color and call it done?

Shas'kamont'yr
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Jan 26 2017 11:55

Shas'ONovalie wrote:Ok so back to my main question: what should be done (if anything) conversion wise to make the lasguns look more fitting? I know that to explain the stat boost so earth caste just upgraded the internal components like the firing chamber focusing lens and battery capabilities. But what about looks? Or just paint them a non metallic color and call it done?

I'd trim and fit pulse rifle barrels to the lasgun...there are quite a few really good IG to Tau conversions floating around the net.

Macknight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » Jan 26 2017 12:54

I had cut off the front lasgun barrel and replace them with kroot rifle barrels for a conversion, It look quite good.

For the greater good!

Shas'kamont'yr
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Jan 26 2017 01:37

Macknight wrote:I had cut off the front lasgun barrel and replace them with kroot rifle barrels for a conversion, It look quite good.

That does look really good.

Shas'ONovalie
Shas

Post#11 » Jan 26 2017 09:31

I could possibly do that

Return to “Modelling”