Creating Gue'vesa tanks

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
jestermaximus
Shas'La

Creating Gue'vesa tanks

Post#1 » May 08 2017 01:18

Hey ATT,
I'm looking to start an Imperial Guard army, but staying close to my Tau roots, I wan to model it as a Gue'vesa force (humans in partial fire-warrior armor, Tau serving as officers, etc). There many examples of kit-bashing IG infantry together with fire-warriors to create Gue'vesa infantry, but I can't find any inspiration for what a Leman Russ would look like if it had been slightly improved/changed by Tau technology (or Chimera for that matter). I'm looking to do more to the tanks than just put a Tau symbol on them, and at the same time I don't want to change the tank so fundamentally that it no longer looks like a Leman Russ. Some sort of blending between the clunky/chunky technology of the Imperium and the sleek lines of Tau technology. Ideally this would be a kit-bash project and require fabricating new parts, but I'm open to the idea.

Can anyone point me to resources (pictures, sketches, half-mad ideas, etc) that would help me figure out how to achieve this?

The only thing I've come up with so far would be to replace/remodel the tank treads to have anti-grav tech (like the tank from Battlefield 2142). This would require blending the shape of the anti-grav 'pods' with the overall shape of the tank so it doesn't look slapped on. But I'm still on the fence about this one.

Thanks!

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui

Re: Creating Gue'vesa tanks

Post#2 » May 08 2017 01:45

Gue'vesa tanks may have few design changes.
It would need refit of industrial tools to integrate heavy Tau tech (anti-grav, energy powercell and weapons) on Imperial vehicles. So unlikely to see a Railgun or anti-grav plates on Leman russ.
Long time gue'vesa may use Imperial vehicles, but maybe with Tau secondary tech (comms, sensors, missiles, maybe small arms up to battlesuit class weapons). They may even be trained to make and use Tau vehicles. Or the new Tau tech mind could see imperial engeeners doing something outside of copying millenia-old STC and create new vehicles with the help of Earth caste and get rid of visible bolts, aquilas, WWI-style tanks, ...
I feel right for gue'vesa to use some middle-tech sci-fi style vehicles, weapons and armors (Mantic Enforcers, Puppetswar Federation, Anvil Industry human armies , ...)

Our fellow El'mo done some guevesa tanks based on puppetswar tanks that feel less Imperium and more "Tau"/modern sci-fi http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=19447&start=50#p316583

jestermaximus
Shas'La

Post#3 » May 08 2017 03:03

Great suggestions, thank you! El'mo's IFV is absolutely perfect! The puppet's war has a great aesthetic. If they have a top with a centered turret I'd use the Ursus Chassis as a Leman Russ, and the Taurus chassis as a Chimeras and Leman Russ' immediately!

Maybe one alternative would be to simply shave off bolts, replace aquilas with Tau symbology, and try to smooth some of the sharp angles. This would represent Leman Russ Pattern tanks manufactured on a Tau controlled world that have made small concessions to Tau aesthetic. Might look like crap, not sure.

Tael
Fio'O

Post#4 » May 12 2017 01:20

This is a question I've wondered on also. Let me dredge up some artwork I've come across over time that covers this territory.

jestermaximus
Shas'La

Post#5 » May 12 2017 12:28

My current thinking is to add large tau themed armor panels to the tanks. These would look like the Gue'vesa took existing tanks and just welded on some extra tau armor on the sides, front, and back. Similar to how larger suits have extra armor panels over sensitive joints. Oh and maybe replace the exhaust pipes and mechanical access box on the back with appropriate tau power generator bits. I think this fits from a fluff perspective and will dramatically change the look of the tank while maintaining the distinctive lines of a leman russ. The key will be to make these armor panels appropriately tau looking and not too bulky. Unfortunately due to RL commitments I have no time to experiment.

jestermaximus
Shas'La

Post#6 » May 12 2017 02:24

I'm no artist, but I've sketched up what I'm thinking. The white areas are the new armor. It's supposed to look like it's been added on top of the existing armor (and covering part of the tread on the front of the tank). Holes in the armor are made for what looks like a vent at the bottom and what looks like a crew hatch directly behind the side sponson. Eventually I'd add similar plating to the front and maybe the back. Comment and criticism is welcome!

Tael
Fio'O

Post#7 » May 13 2017 09:47

Work caught me out, but I like your thinking. Also, remmebr Tau would refine the design. So stream line where possible.

I'll upload the new art tomorrow :D

joc-wi
Shas

Post#8 » May 14 2017 04:56

I have found this:
https://www.dersockelshop.de/skoda-pa-i ... o2024.html

It has the streamlined/sci-fi look of the Tau, while still consisting of "bolted" metal-plates.
The model has the right size, has a really good quality and is easy to modify.
I currently try to create a hover-tank out of it, but for your goal, you could even leave it as it is (and just exchange the weapons and maybe put a tank-commander on top).

I have never seen it used before, so if you finish before I do: leave me the honors of discovering this great addition to the Greater Good ;)

nic
Kroot'La

Post#9 » May 14 2017 05:51

An alternative fluff take on this would be that the Tau try to get as close to the familar designs as possible but using their manufacturing techniques rather than STC.

In this case the model shape would be the same but the detailing would be different. No more rivets but instead some overlapping plates in typical Tau style. Add plenty of sensor lenses and Tau style comms antenna for communicating with their allies. Power plants would be different but this would not be externally obvious, although if you can add some intake/exhaust grills instead of the dirty smoke-stack exhausts of the typical Imperium vehicle I think you would be going a long way in the right direction.

Or how about https://spikeybits.com/2015/08/leman-ru ... e-tau.html

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#10 » May 14 2017 05:54

Yeah I'd probably go with Nics approach. Instead of having some imperial vehicle that gets upgraded by Tau technology, I'd try to build something that looks like as if Tau tried to copy the imperial vehicle but with their own tech and their own understanding. Of course only if i'd want to go that extra mile to model everything from scratch on my own that is. :D

El'mo
Shas'El

Post#11 » May 14 2017 07:34

You may want to try out some alternate weapons for the vehicles such as:

Hungry_Bert
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » May 14 2017 12:23

Not sure how useful it'd be, but I kitbashed an IG sentinel into a Gue'Vesa broadside. Anyway, the power plant might give you some ideas.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=25485&p=320693#p320693

TauMan
Shas'Ui

Post#13 » May 14 2017 02:29

Here is a model tank from an anime Akuyaku - Pig Tank (Note crewmen in front of the first image.)

Which someone has already "gue'vesaed up".

I image with some weapon swaps and bits and bobs from the Hammerhead/DF/Skyray model, you could really do up a great gue'vesa tank.

TauMan
PS The "pig tank" will show up in a future "squat army".
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#14 » May 14 2017 02:34

That looks more like an Imperial army trying to copy the Tau design instead of the opposite though imo. :D

Tael
Fio'O

Post#15 » May 15 2017 03:21

Sorry about the delay, but finally:

Image Image
Image Image

Hope these spark some ideas.

jestermaximus
Shas'La

Post#16 » May 15 2017 12:11

Tiberian Sun is one of my favorite games (probably due to nostalgia more than anything). Love the artwork @Tael. I'm going to re-learn how to use Maya and see if I can't model something in the coming weeks.

Tael
Fio'O

Post#17 » May 16 2017 12:55

Actually, I just found the card plans for the hovertank, top row, right.

Basically you can make a version of that art out of card at whatever scale you want to print the sheets out as :)

Interested?

Che Gue'vesa
Gue'El

Post#18 » May 16 2017 04:07

So, the question is, how far integrated will your Gue'vesa be into the T'au Empire.

For my, at the current time mostly theoretical, Gue'vesa Army, I go for the "early stages look", Like replacing some of the weapons and use some of the gadgets you get with the Tau Kits.

There was some discussion in my thread when I was working on my Chimaera, which was a heavily converted Chimera, maybe some of the suggestions people posted there will help you?

Return to “Modelling”