Sean's WIP bench

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Sean85730
Shas'Saal

Sean's WIP bench

Post#1 » May 30 2017 09:26

Greetings all, having (finally) got image hosting working it's time for me to show what I'm tinkering with! :biggrin:

Also a little background fluff as I go along.

My force is based on a far flung sept of the farsight enclaves, the name has Long since been forgotten to both the imperium and even themselves, they have one soul purpose in life. To hunt down and destroy imperial knights and titans that threaten the expansion of the greater good. There homeworld is heavily irradiated hence there destinctive dull greens of there armies, the crimson serving as a reminder of the blood of there comrades fallen in the years of hard won battles.

So fluff out the way for now, time to start some actual modelling, I grabbed an armload of odds and ends for my tau army, first kit I started with though, was my Hammerhead gunship. Still very much a work in progress but that's what I hope will give others ideas.

The first parts I built were (naturally :D ) the rail cannon and turret

That's all for now guys, I hope you have enjoyed my first post on here :) any and all feedback welcomed

Sean

Rawbbi
Shas'Saal

Re: Sean's WIP bench

Post#2 » May 31 2017 02:01

Nice and clean work so far, and the BG sounds cool! My only advice would be: mind all of those nasty fusion lines on the model. If you don't treat them right beforehand, they'll show up massively once the paintjob is done.

If I'm correct, there should be a very evident one on the front of the tank chassis, and one riding along the rail cannon.

Keep up the good work, you're doing well!

PS: I saw you are in Lincoln! We should meet up and paint some models some times :D

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#3 » Jun 04 2017 03:04

Very good brush control, look forward to the next stages. :)

Seam lines and mold lines are sods, a sharp blade scraping or even a fine sanding helps.

Sean85730
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jun 04 2017 04:22

Cheers guys,

Totally agree about the mould lines, usually I take a file to them, however this was pushed into service far faster than I normally would for a tournament xD so much reworking needed

More to come soon.

Sean

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#5 » Jun 04 2017 06:28

Ooooh Tournament, nothing creates speed in painting than that genre haha. Fair enough man! :D

Sean85730
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Jun 05 2017 10:55

Kicked a few butts in tournament but not as well as I would like :evil: ah well

The rest of the hammer head literally finished hours before it was time to pack and go.

I will revisit her at some point in the future and tidy up and add some more tone etc

More to come soon

Sean

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#7 » Jun 09 2017 06:33

Top stuff good to hear on the gaming side.

What you could do is hit it with a matte spray varnish, should give you a nice surface to do tonal work over the larger panels. :)

Sean85730
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Jun 11 2017 08:26

Despite the glossy look the paint is matte finish :) dry I'm really happy with it so far :) the other thing I've been tinkering with is some battle damage. Thoughts guys?

In other projects continue apace too :) my pathfinder team are almost there, sensor veins, gun barrels and transfers

Cheers for now

Sean

Sean85730
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jun 19 2017 06:04

Now things are a bit quieter at my end I've actually made a little more progress :fear:

My hammerhead and pathfinders posing with some cheapo laser cut buildings on what will be my battle board :)

As a little light relief from serious modelling and for something to add to the scenery in my board, I've made an earth caste welding drone, the base is the bottom of a shield drone with the sensor off a markerlight drone with a standard drone top, the arm is 3mm I beam fitted to the lug where the markerlight goes on the drone, and for a torch I've modified a tau flamer, a little more detail to go yet but I'm really pleased with it any feedback on this guys?

More to come stay cool ;)

Sean

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#10 » Jun 20 2017 11:00

Oooh, what is your thoughts on the MDF buildings? Easy to put together etc?

Great to see the Hammerhead in action :)

Sean85730
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Jul 03 2017 10:47

The mad buildings are awesome, nice scale, cheap and easy to work with, a drop of PVA on the tabs and an electric band holds the main structure while it dries, the top castlements I supported with a little masking tape as the glue dried. You can easily chop them about too if you were so inclined, but I'm using mine as is

While we're on the topic of my battle board.

I'm building the edge of a walled city, partly housing a promethium refinery on a war torn world on the edge of imperial space, in the background fluff I've been working on, this world has been attacked by vertically every race at some point in its history. The earliest legion to arrive were the imperial fists, who established the colony and its fortifications, yet paid little attention to the regions outside of there cities after the planet had been conquered. As a result the outlying wastelands outside the wall is heavily scared with craters and trench lines pollution and destroyed buildings and fortification. The only way in and out is a checkpoint over a river the fists used as a natural moat, subsequently the river also supplies water for both drinking and industry as well as a means of desposing of the waste and run offs of the refinary.

All of this I am hoping will give both a nice urban space for infantry to duke it out, and space for manoeuvring tanks and other heavy support options.

So being bored and having some spare plastic, I set too making the bridge over the river with a primary checkpoint.

A little paint later and the roof is nearly done.

The road bed too, a few weeds and a dry brushing or two to really bring the cracks to life

Thoughts and feelings people?

Sean

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#12 » Jul 13 2017 12:03

Liking that, simple but effective and texturing the bridge was a great idea. Feel you could weather the heck out of these further too when you base them for the tabletop :)

Sean85730
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Jul 15 2017 07:03

What I'm going to do is drop some PVA into the deeper fissures on the bridge deck, when it dries lightly brush some oily colours ontop of the resulting puddles :) weathering wise the whole board is going to look run down and desolate (almost fallout esk)

A little more for the guard post has been done today, (I come from railway modelling where details are king, so bare with)

First up Some shelves with spare kit for the gate watch. The boxes of loose ammo are OO gauge bottle crates, which in my mind look like bolter rounds. And loads of spare kit from the IG sprues.

Also a stove with wood shelf for the guards :)

As mentioned this world I'm building is outlying imperium, with many twists in the tail, the idea is I can then run any army over my battle board so I apologise if this sort of post isn't within the bounds of the forum.

More to come soon.

Sean

Sean85730
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Jul 20 2017 04:17

Back to the tau for a little bit for an armies on parade type moment. (I have never had all my tau in one place for personal reasons)

A little note on my colour scheme.

I'm using humbrol paints as I prefer working with enamel over the he acrylics. I know them better and feel the results are more hard wearing and the paint doesn't chip as easily.

I use Halfords plastic primer in grey.

My base colour is humbrol 26 karki thinned with a little white spirit. For any assault units (anything directly for attacking) has the trim colours in no 60, scarlet which I feel suits being a farsight enclave.

Transports and scouts have there trim colours in number 33 black, my devilfish is a perfect example of this. My pathfinders and all drones attached to both the devilfish and pathfinders are likewise black trimmed.

The colours for uniform cloth is number 102 army light green. Boots and gloves I'm using number 62 leather.

All the highlights, and lenses are done with number 34 white

A lot of my vehicles and suits have parts such as railgun rails, vents and such like picked out in metallic number 53 gunmetal. And for lenses I'm going to be using number 222 moonlight blue with white highlights.

Hopefully some of you found this interesting. Should have a much more interesting post next time.

Sean

Return to “Modelling”