Cyclic ion blasters

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
sunspear
Shas'Saal

Cyclic ion blasters

Post#1 » Jun 28 2017 01:43

I recently bought the start collecting tau box and I wanted to model my crisis suits with cibs but I don't see any on the sprues or the instructions. I thought I had the new tau models, am I missing something?

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Cyclic ion blasters

Post#2 » Jun 28 2017 01:47

The only existing CIB bit is in the Commander box. And only one of it. Same with AFP btw (not that you'd want to equip them with it anyway).
If you live in the US and don't mind the slightly different design then this is a good alternative though http://www.reddogminis.com/catalog/item/9021373/10272853.htm

sunspear
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jun 28 2017 02:28

Ah ok, thanks panzer. Those look pretty good, have you bought any? If so what's the quality like?

Sniperhavens
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jun 28 2017 03:01

They are great. I have never had a better fitting or easier to clean 3rd party piece. I have all my Commanders equipped with the dual plasma variant. I cant swear by them enough

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Jun 28 2017 03:02

Nah I don't like their design, but it's what usually gets recommended when someone asks for CIBs. :D

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Jun 28 2017 06:34

sunspear wrote:Those look pretty good, have you bought any? If so what's the quality like?

I have a bunch of Red Dog (formerly Paulson) parts. They're made of a hard, tough resin with very few defects. Definitely high quality. Those guns are a bit larger than the Cyclic Ion Blaster though.

sunspear
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Jun 29 2017 07:01

Thanks for a the info, I've already ordered the ion blasters, probably going out be ordering the winged jump packs in July

Jburli
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Jul 04 2017 01:51

They don't look very "cyclic" though :(
I'd try convert them from pathfinder ion rifles and razorshark quad ion turrets, but it'd take me a LOT of kits to fully equip a few crisis suits.. Looks like that red dog store is the way forwards!

sunspear
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jul 04 2017 02:33

Just got my ion blasters from red dog games, very nice! No defects, mold lines are minimal. Glad I bought them.

Jburli
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Jul 04 2017 06:13

Can you drill into and magnetise them in the same way you can with plastic weapons?

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#11 » Jul 04 2017 07:08

Yes, ofc. The drilled out material might look and behave a bit differently, but that's all.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#12 » Jul 04 2017 07:18

Jburli wrote:Can you drill into and magnetise them in the same way you can with plastic weapons?

They will feel much tougher, but this is still possible.

sunspear
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Jul 05 2017 01:47

I think the above answered your questions better than I could. I just received them and I won't be using magnets. They seem a little tougher than GW plastics. Maybe a bit more brittle.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#14 » Jul 05 2017 03:35

sunspear wrote:I think the above answered your questions better than I could. I just received them and I won't be using magnets. They seem a little tougher than GW plastics. Maybe a bit more brittle.

There's a good chance they're more brittle. If you tried to bend one, they're pretty thick, so I bet they'd snap before they meaningfully bent. Don't actually do this though, haha.

Paulson
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#15 » Jul 05 2017 09:35

The resin is fairly rigid in terms of holding it's shape and will take to drilling and magnets just fine. But it is a bit softer than GW plastic, you can sand, file ,or cut it pretty much the same as plastic but use a little bit less pressure and use a fine grit file or sand paper as rough grit will tend to scratch the surface more easily.

If a part is warped you can put it in hot water and the resin will soften enough so that you can bend it back into shape and once it cools back down it'll keep that new shape. Because heat can cause resin to get soft you don't want to leave it in hot cars during the 100+ degree summer heat or parts might end up bending a little bit, at normal room temps it's perfectly fine.

Jburli
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#16 » Jul 05 2017 05:37

Just found that if I buy from Red dog it would be $12 shipping to the UK plus import/customs costs. Ouch! :-(
Does anybody have any recommendations for proxies you can get in the UK?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#17 » Jul 05 2017 07:22

Jburli wrote:Just found that if I buy from Red dog it would be $12 shipping to the UK plus import/customs costs. Ouch! :-(
Does anybody have any recommendations for proxies you can get in the UK?

You pay import fees? I've never heard of that!

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#18 » Jul 06 2017 03:10

Any goods sent from outside of the EU are subject to import fees. These may not always be required as it depends on the declared value of the delivery.

I have been invited on multiple occasions to visit my local customs office to donate to their coffee and biscuits fund... ;)

Return to “Modelling”