Using Magnetic Tape on XV8s

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Using Magnetic Tape on XV8s

Post#1 » Jul 04 2017 09:35

A friend of mine has been trying to convince me that magnetic tape would be an easier alternative for magnetizing Tau battlesuits, over conventional magnets. Would this work? Or is it just a shortcut that's ultimately worse?

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Using Magnetic Tape on XV8s

Post#2 » Jul 04 2017 09:47

As far as I know, magnetic tape is made from soft plastic with some magnetic particles. Compared to neodym magnets, weak. I don't see any advantage here other than being able to cut it easily. The best magnetic connection you can do is combine the magnet with a pin, so that the magnet is only pulled in one direction.

Lord Mayhem
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Jul 04 2017 12:52

I have looked at it in the past for speed and ease of application. My observations:
1) As Gragagrogog pointed out, it's far weaker than convential magnets. I would not rely on it to hold the weight of most guns on the arms but on the shoulders it's not fighting gravity as much so could work there.
2) generally requires more surface area to generate a good grip; you can use 1mm x 1mm magnets effectively, but less than 3mm x 3mm of tape is impractical
3) WHile magnets take more work, they generally can be sunk below the surface of the model/weapon, so are not visible. Tape on the other hand adheres to the surface so is visible, and can create a noticeable stand off between the suit and the weapon (this can be good or bad, depending on the look you're going for)
4) Tape is a lot easier to apply, and does not damage the model (but can damage paint), so is useful if you're not skilled at fitting magnets or don't want to damage the model, and can be great if you just want to test load outs without going through the cost and time of magnetizing; stick on the tape, attach weapon, test for performance/looks, peel off tape. It also becomes an option if you have a LOT of magnetization to do.
5) Tape can peel off over time, and if not cut well can catch on stuff (I would suggest planning/filing down the edges and corners slightly) making it less desirable for long term work.

Overall I prefer installing proper magnets; the strength is better, and they're easier to hide, but magnetic tape can work and takes less skill and time. Your mileage may vary. Opinions not valid in all 50 states. Use only as directed.

Jburli
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jul 04 2017 01:27

Never thought about using magnetic tape. Sounds a lot faster than the tiring 'drill - get single magnet - check polarity - glue - hold' process I'm currently carrying out. I'm betting the results won't be as good though.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Jul 04 2017 01:47

I don't think the tape can even remotely work on something like crisis arms. Even magnets that are so big they ruin some surface detail barely hold it.

What I do with my crisis is two 1.2mm dia x 3mm high magnet pins for each weapon/mount, with the top 1mm extended above top surface, it's strong enough to hold the model by the weapon if you drill the holes properly.

Also, I learned that at this scale, simple friction holds up much better than a magnet. If you glue a carbon fiber pin to one part, drill a precise hole on the other, it will be much better than a magnet since you can make the pin a lot longer, the disadvantage here is it may wear off after some time.

deathboon
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Jul 04 2017 05:43

Jburli wrote:Never thought about using magnetic tape. Sounds a lot faster than the tiring 'drill - get single magnet - check polarity - glue - hold' process I'm currently carrying out. I'm betting the results won't be as good though.

A bit of metal pin (like clipped from a paperclip or small steel rod of some kind) set into the suits hard points and a magnet set into the weapon will prevent polarity from being an issue.

Jburli
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Jul 04 2017 06:10

deathboon wrote:
Jburli wrote:Never thought about using magnetic tape. Sounds a lot faster than the tiring 'drill - get single magnet - check polarity - glue - hold' process I'm currently carrying out. I'm betting the results won't be as good though.

A bit of metal pin (like clipped from a paperclip or small steel rod of some kind) set into the suits hard points and a magnet set into the weapon will prevent polarity from being an issue.

Thanks for the advice deathboon. I've nearly finished my first batch of crisis suits but I'll keep this in mind for next time. I'm running 2mm dia x 1mm magnets on the weapons and arms, and 3mm dia x 1mm magnets on the shoulder mounts.

I'm drilling down 1mm so I can lay the magnets flush to the surface. Takes a while but I'm quite happy with the results so far.

Will magnet to metal be as strong as magnet to magnet? I guess it would be about the same?

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Jul 04 2017 06:12

I'd say getting enough surface area on the contact points would be an issue. Plasma's and flamers for example.

3x3mm magnets are your 'best' option (in my opinion)

JustGreg
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jul 04 2017 07:32

Jburli wrote:I'm drilling down 1mm so I can lay the magnets flush to the surface. Takes a while but I'm quite happy with the results so far.

Will magnet to metal be as strong as magnet to magnet? I guess it would be about the same?

I'm currently doing the same, magnet to magnet (with care for polarity) is twice as strong as magnet to metal pin or plate.

I'm using 2x1mm disk-shaped neodymium magnets. Countersinking them flush on the arm (centred in the arm cut out) and drilling into the tab that normally sits in that when gluing (on the gun) and leaving the two small tab parts either side. This allows me to have a flush connection like when gluing, with tab to hold alignment and also makes use of the friction of the parts too. Strong enough to pick up by the weapon at most angles, with no visible difference once attached.
Last edited by JustGreg on Jul 04 2017 07:33, edited 2 times in total.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Jul 04 2017 07:32

deathboon wrote:A bit of metal pin (like clipped from a paperclip or small steel rod of some kind) set into the suits hard points and a magnet set into the weapon will prevent polarity from being an issue.

Does this actually work though? It seems like the attraction would be pretty weak.

deathboon
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Jul 04 2017 07:43

With the right magnets, absolutely. The magnets I used were so strong that they actually pulled each other out of the sockets I drilled for them leaving either both on the weapon or both on the suit.

Kilazar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#12 » Jul 24 2017 08:45

deathboon wrote:

I was actually thinking along these lines myself just a couple days ago. Converting to a more hard point system. Though I was thinking of cutting really thin ferrous metal strips and gluing them to the surface mount points on the suits. They could then be painted and would look like additional armor when that hard point is not in use.

I have not gotten to the testing stage yet, as I'm waiting for my hobby savings to recover from my last big purchase. But I found several tutorials that showed someone cutting thin (.01 through .05) thick metal sheets with a carpenter knife scoring method. They were able to get pretty thin strips that were not bent. So the idea would be to cut several really thin but really long strips, then segment out those strips in sets of 4.

Jburli
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#13 » Jul 24 2017 09:30

Kilazar wrote:
I was actually thinking along these lines myself just a couple days ago. Converting to a more hard point system. Though I was thinking of cutting really thin ferrous metal strips and gluing them to the surface mount points on the suits. They could then be painted and would look like additional armor when that hard point is not in use.

I have not gotten to the testing stage yet, as I'm waiting for my hobby savings to recover from my last big purchase. But I found several tutorials that showed someone cutting thin (.01 through .05) thick metal sheets with a carpenter knife scoring method. They were able to get pretty thin strips that were not bent. So the idea would be to cut several really thin but really long strips, then segment out those strips in sets of 4.

Remember that there'll be less magnetic attraction to thinner pieces of metal. I've just been using 2 or 3mm diameter magnets on both the weapons and hardpoints and it's been working well so far. Takes a while but looks good when finished.

0.05 inches or cm? Either way, test it's thick enough that the magnetic attraction can support the weight of the weapons!

Kilazar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#14 » Jul 24 2017 09:37

Jburli wrote:
Kilazar wrote:

Remember that there'll be less magnetic attraction to thinner pieces of metal. I've just been using 2 or 3mm diameter magnets on both the weapons and hardpoints and it's been working well so far. Takes a while but looks good when finished.

The steel sheets I use are 430 stainless. So they have great magnetic properties. I've tested on small pieces that I hole punched out, and the magnets stick well. I use these same sheets to transport my army on. The magnetic adhesion isn't really the main concern, it's getting cuts "even" enough with no bend at that small of scale. Using my hole punched test pieces cut in half, there is more than enough "stick" happening. Just need to get the plates shaped so they look good on the suit when the hardpoint is naked. Now if we are talking hard points on larger suits like the Riptide and Ghostkeel, the system is actually easier to put together because you can build larger plates.

TLDR if you are using 430 stainless, and n52 grade magnets, there should not be any adhesion concerns.

deathboon
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Jul 25 2017 06:37

I wonder if anyone has tried using magnetic spray paint as a primer, or if it would go on too thick.

Froglift
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Jul 27 2017 09:21

With the right magnets, absolutely. The magnets I used were so strong that they actually pulled each other out of the sockets I drilled for them leaving either both on the weapon or both on the suit.

What magnets were you using?
We are men of action, lies do not become us.

Return to “Modelling”