Magnet Suggestions?

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Magnet Suggestions?

Post#1 » Jul 13 2017 04:31

I'm trying to magnetize 8 XV8 Battlesuits so they can have a range of different weapons, but also can switch out heads to represent Shas'ui/Shas'vre and Commander options. I'm thinking that would be 6 weapon hardpoints per suit (two on the arms, two underslung, and two on the shoulders) and 1 for the head, for at least 14 magnets needed per suit let alone alternative weapon options... I'm guessing that I'll need about 150-160 magnets in total.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to which magnets I should get (in bulk) and also what kind of pin vise or hand drill I should get?

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Magnet Suggestions?

Post#2 » Jul 13 2017 05:09

The rectangle "pin" that's on crisis weapons is about 1.4mm x 3.2mm , you can fit 2 magnet rods into that. I got myself some 1.2mm dia 3mm tall magnets(which fit nicely even to the shoulder mounts without much wiggling), but I also saw some 1mm dia x 4mm tall ones. And for making precise holes I would 3d print something like this:

It allows you to easily drill the holes straight and with the same spacing/depth every time, the left part will probably have to be be customised for each weapon type though...

ladyfish
Shas

Post#3 » Jul 13 2017 06:59

I got all mine from Amazing Magnets dot com (not sure if they are still around)

What I did was put magnets in the suits at hardpoints, then sued a thick coat hanger and cut tiny rods out of it, then drilled the weapons out and glued the metal rods into them.

This way I saved on magnets, everything is interchangeable, and polarity is a nonissue. Its worked great.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Jul 13 2017 07:31

ladyfish wrote:I got all mine from Amazing Magnets dot com (not sure if they are still around)

What I did was put magnets in the suits at hardpoints, then sued a thick coat hanger and cut tiny rods out of it, then drilled the weapons out and glued the metal rods into them.

This way I saved on magnets, everything is interchangeable, and polarity is a nonissue. Its worked great.

I have a pretty tenuous grasp on how polarity works. How would this prevent polarity from being an issue? And how strong is the attraction between weapon and hardpoint?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jul 13 2017 07:46

Arka0415 wrote:
ladyfish wrote:I got all mine from Amazing Magnets dot com (not sure if they are still around)

I have a pretty tenuous grasp on how polarity works. How would this prevent polarity from being an issue? And how strong is the attraction between weapon and hardpoint?

Well you know how same polarity pushes away from each other and different ones stick together? You obviously don't have that issue when only one side is a magnet. :D

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Jul 13 2017 08:44

Panzer wrote:Well you know how same polarity pushes away from each other and different ones stick together? You obviously don't have that issue when only one side is a magnet. :D

Gotcha. For some reason I was imagining the hanger to have some strange magnetic properties. Makes sense.

bobby hostile
Shas

Post#7 » Jul 17 2017 01:57

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/

I always buy from there and have never had issues. I've probably magnetized about 3 dozen models, including my Ghostkeel, Riptide and Crisis suits. Piece of advice, if you need 25 magnets, buy 50. You'll find a use for them, trust me... :-)

Return to “Modelling”