Custom Firesight Marksman

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Drago Solaris
Shas'Saal

Custom Firesight Marksman

Post#1 » Jul 14 2017 12:07

Firesight Marksman, a 'New' unit to our books, i love the rules! 1 power unit, 3+ Markerlight, 2+ save in cover, CHARACTER? Fantastic little drop if you have the points. Plus the added bonus that this single 1 power guys can counter an entire other unit in reserves for your 50% deep-striking.

The only downside? Getting hold of these damn models. I don't want to drop all that money for the sniper team boxes for the single model i would use from the box? Solution, lets get custom!

Initially, the idea was to just convert perhaps a single pathfinder. Take away his usual guns, put on just that pistol and some form of markerlight. But that didnt sit entirely too well with me. It wouldn't stand out enough, and how do you explain the benefit of all the other rules? So i started thinking bigger.

One thing my head kept going back to is the old Listening Post from Dawn of War. So i started rooting through the old bitz i have around.

Now this does look a bit more static than the usual Marksman, however i figure that its a model i really shouldn't need to be moving much. Once deployed on the backboard, its 2+ save and Character keyword should keep it safe enough, so i just need to deploy it with good line of sight.

One great little coincidence i found, on some of the sprues i have lying around there is a small disk of sprue plastic. These happened to fit perfectly in the turret base, and made a great guide/seal for attaching the tank turret to. you can see in the bottom right image how tight that fit is. I ended up stacking two on top of each other to give it a bit more weight holding it in. This also means i can lift the top section off if i want to use it as a turret instead, plus it spins!

Start of the Marksman built up. Using a spare Pulse Pistol arm from the Pathfinder set, i found if i trim the top 'Sight' off of it, the markerlight fits really nicely on top up to the hand.

Head attached, i actually used a crisis antenna on the pathfinder helmet, to give him a bit more stand-out. It could also work as the drone up-link for that portion of his rules. I noticed once assembled a certain resemblance to one of everyone's favourite characters from a fairly well known franchise of films.

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Re: Custom Firesight Marksman

Post#2 » Jul 14 2017 12:20

That is a pretty awesome build. I like the markerlight on the pistol especially. I may steal that part of the idea. I don't have enough DS8 turrents to do the base that way though :P

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jul 14 2017 12:20

Neat! Would look good on the BF set up near sensor towers

Aj'T'au
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Sep 03 2017 04:51

I loved it so much it I made my own version of it. Great idea and thanks for sharing it!

Return to “Modelling”