Converted Kroot Hounds?

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Gauche
Shas'La
Shas'La

Converted Kroot Hounds?

Post#1 » Jul 15 2017 04:43

I'm currently playing some Kroot Hounds in my list and have been proxying them as I don't like the models much and think they're a bit overpriced in terms of real-world cost. There are some other models that I like better from GW, such as Chaos Warhounds, but I don't feel they'd mesh well with Tau and would also look awkward on 25mm bases.

What I'd like to do is convert something to look like a robotic dog / drone dog since that would fit my theme and be a nice little project for my army. Unfortunately I really have no idea where to start with that. I'm also hoping for at least 50% GW bits since I do play in some GW events so that does complicate things a bit.

So far the best idea I have is to take the disc portion of a drone but I'm not sure what would make a decent melee weapon to go underneath them. I'd prefer it be obvious since I don't want any confusion, my list also uses quite a few Gun Drones.

Anyone have any ideas to help me out? Happy to post a test model once I have a solid idea in place. :]

Juicy Fruit
Shas

Re: Converted Kroot Hounds?

Post#2 » Jul 16 2017 03:45

Perhaps doing a kroot hound themed cyber wolf:

Robot legs for thunder wolf cavalry can be found at the link below. The robotic lower half would be in keeping with the theme.
http://www.bitzbox.co.uk/product_info.php/space-wolves-thunderwolf-cavalry-cyber-wolf-leg-p-972

The bits on the cyber wolf face could be replicated from fire warrior faces. The three cylindrical parts from the guardian drone might look good sticking out of the hounds back or as a replacement for some of hackle spines. A drone antenna sticking out of it could be another option.

Primum conatus pessimi

knute
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jul 16 2017 05:07

While not directly on point, I did find a British company that sells "spined hounds" that are clearly intended to be Kroot Hounds. Just in case you were also looking for alternatives to conversions.

http://zealotminiatures.com/shop/#!/Spi ... ry=8326656

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#4 » Jul 16 2017 11:36

I have bought the Spined Hounds from Zealot and although they are nice models they are a direct replacement in design for Kroot hounds and they work out slightly more expensive per model than GW (£14.99 for 3 compared to £15 for 4) plus they only sell them in batches so you need to be quick and get in there before they sell out...

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Jul 16 2017 09:06

I use the wolves from my Zombicide - Black Plague expansion Wulfsburg. 21 Resin Wolves (3 poses), a big Wolf Zombie-Monster, 4 Hero models and some other game stuff.
About 60€.

Return to “Modelling”