Broadside Missile Rifle conversion question/help needed

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Kilazar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Broadside Missile Rifle conversion question/help needed

Post#1 » Jul 24 2017 08:52

I've recently tried to convert one of my broadsides to a swapable missile rifle/rail rifle, and I'm not happy with it.

I did the cuts with my hobby knife and I just can't seem to get them to a good 90 degree's. I'm not terribly good at modeling with plasticard and green stuff so my attempts at correction via those tools have also failed. So I have a question for the group.

How do you get such perfect cuts on your stuff? I see people that do conversion work all the time, and it seems like they have laser precision on cutting their models at perfect angles. I'm sure I could fix my current broadside if I could just re cut the barrel and the missile pod, as I have enough plastic left to work with.

My current work makes the rail rifle look just slightly "limp" as the cut is off by like 2 degree's. And the missile pod looks the the same but in a sideways angle.

MNGamer
Shas'Saal

Re: Broadside Missile Rifle conversion question/help needed

Post#2 » Jul 24 2017 09:20

Cut it as straight as you can then square it off with a small file.
Even when broken, a sword may still cut~Aun'ko'vash

Kilazar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Jul 24 2017 09:22

MNGamer wrote:Cut it as straight as you can then square it off with a small file.

Tried that, still comes out off. I'm not precise enough for that :(. Is that seriously how everyone gets perfect angled cuts? If so I might have to find someone to do my cuts for me local heh.

MNGamer
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jul 24 2017 11:16

If you wedge a small piece of green stuff between the two parts you can level it out when glueing and then trim the excess green stuff when dry.
Even when broken, a sword may still cut~Aun'ko'vash

Kilazar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Jul 24 2017 11:32

MNGamer wrote:If you wedge a small piece of green stuff between the two parts you can level it out when glueing and then trim the excess green stuff when dry.

I'm not gluing, i'm magnetizing. it's a swappable conversion. And again, that comes back to me "eyeballing" it. I was hoping there was something that would make really good 90 degree cuts without eyeballing.

Think I might try re cutting the pieces and using some kind of an L shaped piece of metal to lay the flat of the barrel in, and then the edge can guide my blade. I've got some cabinetry brackets I can use. Not sure why I didn't think of that before.
Last edited by Kilazar on Jul 24 2017 11:44, edited 1 time in total.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Jul 24 2017 11:37

The next closest thing you are searching for would probably a modeling saw and something to hold the thing you are trying to saw apart in place.

Kilazar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Jul 24 2017 11:45

Panzer wrote:The next closest thing you are searching for would probably a modeling saw and something to hold the thing you are trying to saw apart in place.

Oh a modelling saw and my above idea would probably be better. I've never really been a conversion person cause I'm not very "hobby minded". I'm very IT oriented heh. I just love the painting and playing part.

*edit* Aha! I found exactly what I needed. It's called a mitre box!
http://www.xacto.com/products/cutting-s ... ail/X75330

Return to “Modelling”