Cherry blossom trees for basing options

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Knives
Shas'Saal

Cherry blossom trees for basing options

Post#1 » Aug 03 2017 10:59

Do you guys know a good source for trees that could be used to make cherry blossom trees for bases. Or a company that makes cherry blossom trees.

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Re: Cherry blossom trees for basing options

Post#2 » Aug 03 2017 12:33

Something like this?

or this?

Just from a quick google search - try "1:35 cherry trees"

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Aug 04 2017 12:02

Something with less foliage. Good start.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Aug 04 2017 02:38

Knives-

Model Railroad supplies (from a store or online) is where you'll find this kind of stuff. Pre-made trees are going to cost you lots of £,$,¥, or €. Altough the HO scale model railroad trees will be small, and therefore worth buying.

But if don't want to buy them pre-made, what you do instead is to buy "springtime flowers" in pink, which comes in a wide strip of material, and then glue them to your blank "tree". Blank trees can also be found with the other model railroad supplies. Otherwise you can build the "tree" from scratch, many fine tutorials out there on how to do that kind of thing - model railroaders again.

TauMan
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#5 » Aug 04 2017 02:42

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Aug 04 2017 09:00

Knives wrote:Do you guys know a good source for trees that could be used to make cherry blossom trees for bases. Or a company that makes cherry blossom trees.

This is a cool idea! If I were you, I wouldn't put whole trees on bases. Maybe for Riptides, Ghostkeels, and other models with very large bases, get whole trees. For your Fire Warriors and other small models though, a simple pink scatter would be great on the bases.

http://www.greatescapegames.co.uk/basin ... 7-21s.html

http://www.greatescapegames.co.uk/basin ... 7-25s.html

Just crumble up the foliage strips and then scatter the flakes on grass bases. The beauty of cherry blossoms is as much the fallen petals as it is the blossoms themselves, and using fallen petals on your bases would be very beautiful I think.

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Aug 05 2017 02:06

Arka0415 wrote:
Knives wrote:Do you guys know a good source for trees that could be used to make cherry blossom trees for bases. Or a company that makes cherry blossom trees.

This is a cool idea! If I were you, I wouldn't put whole trees on bases. Maybe for Riptides, Ghostkeels, and other models with very large bases, get whole trees. For your Fire Warriors and other small models though, a simple pink scatter would be great on the bases.

http://www.greatescapegames.co.uk/basin ... 7-21s.html

http://www.greatescapegames.co.uk/basin ... 7-25s.html

Just crumble up the foliage strips and then scatter the flakes on grass bases. The beauty of cherry blossoms is as much the fallen petals as it is the blossoms themselves, and using fallen petals on your bases would be very beautiful I think.

^ this

You just need to create the illusion they are standing near a cherry blossom tree by scattering cherry blossoms over whatever terrain you've put on the small bases. Use the bigger models bases to actually show those trees. ;)

Hawkins
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Aug 05 2017 09:27

I've considered cherry blossoms for a few different projects.

The best option I've come up with for the petals is to use a scrapbooking hole punch such as this one here.

By punching the petals out of a pink card stock, you already have the base colour. Then, you just need to apply a bit of white to the pointed end, and you have cherry blossom petals.

Return to “Modelling”