Confused by magnets!

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: Confused by magnets!

Post#19 » Aug 08 2017 09:25

Arka0415 wrote:
Hungry_Bert wrote:Yeah, but as I said, I also use 2x1mm ones to stabalise.

Can you clarify what you mean by this? I don't know too much about magnets. Are you stabilizing the gun, or something else?

He probably means using a second magnet so the weapon doesn't rotate. A problem you have when you use only one magnet without leaving some of the small plastic bar to fit in the hardpoint.

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#20 » Aug 08 2017 09:46

Knives wrote:Buy a box of tiny nails. Cut the head off the nail. Crazy glue it to the crisis suit. Buy a magnet. Drill a hole in the weapon glue magnet with strongest glue you can find. Done. :)

This. Not my work

You also want to use something called a "rare earth magnet"

Hungry_Bert
Shas'Saal

Post#21 » Aug 08 2017 03:19

Arka0415 wrote:
Hungry_Bert wrote:Yeah, but as I said, I also use 2x1mm ones to stabalise.

Can you clarify what you mean by this? I don't know too much about magnets. Are you stabilizing the gun, or something else?

This is what I mean.

As you can see from the image, the arms each have 2 magnets and the weapons (other than the missile pods) each have 2 magnets. The problem with this is setup is getting the N52 magnets to set without them flicking out of the holes to the other magnet placed mere mm's away.

I also highly recommend getting some plastic tweezers.

Blindeye
Shas'Saal

Post#22 » Aug 08 2017 05:18

I use 3mm x 1mm as my standard. One in the weapon, one on the suit. Seems to hold just fine for me (think they're only N40). They will spin if you touch the weapon but otherwise they hold fine. I would also say: always use magnet on magnet connection wherever possible, they will be much stronger than any magnet-metal connections

I do the same as Pilky. I use two 3mm by 1mm magnets or (1/8th inch by 1/16th inch). These are the exact ones I have used in the past they come in batches of 100 at a cheaper price then I have found at hobby stores.

https://www.magcraft.com/magcraft-nsn0566

I never noticed many issues with the magnetized weapons moving to easily. If you bump the model it will shift some but it takes force to move them they won't just sag on their own.
Through Unity Devastation.
Blindeye Cadre Log

Sholto
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#23 » Aug 09 2017 07:18

I have been magnetizing my Tau for nearly 10 years (eek!). For Crisis Suits I use 3mm x 2mm magnets, just one per weapon, and have never had any issues with them wobbling or spinning.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#24 » Aug 09 2017 09:17

Thanks for the help everyone! I can source 3x1mm magnets locally and I'll have those to try out next week. 3x2mm magnets will have a long shipping time, so I'll start up the magnetizing project later in August once I have all the parts in hand. For now I'll experiment with the 3x1mm magnets and see what I can do!

Oxydo
Shas

Post#25 » Aug 10 2017 07:17

I use two 2x1 mm neodymium magnets like so.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#26 » Aug 10 2017 08:31

Two 1.2mm dia, 3mm tall magnet rods, protruding about 1.3mm out, to match depth of shoulder mount without changing the shape of it. On hands, one hole is drilled to be slightly bigger to accommodate any slight misalignment.

Kilazar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#27 » Aug 10 2017 09:30

Knives wrote:
Knives wrote:Buy a box of tiny nails. Cut the head off the nail. Crazy glue it to the crisis suit. Buy a magnet. Drill a hole in the weapon glue magnet with strongest glue you can find. Done. :)

This. Not my work

You also want to use something called a "rare earth magnet"

Thanks for this! I didn't use nails. I found some heavy duty stables for a staple gun lying around in the garrage. Cut then to suit my needs, and now my riptide has hard points, while the magnets rest in the guns! Cut my magnet use by 1/3rd, and was nice not to have to worry about polarization.

Return to “Modelling”