Confused by magnets!

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Confused by magnets!

Post#1 » Aug 07 2017 06:39

I got my magnets in the mail, but I feel paralyzed- I don't want to drill holes in my precious XV8s until I know exactly what I'm doing. With that in mind, I have a few questions about magnets:

1. Should I make sure that all the guns have one polarity, and the hardpoints have another? Or is there some benefit to having different polarities on the hardpoints?

2. The Missile Pod can be stuck anywhere, but some of the other guns are attached on the sides. Should I make "lefty" and "righty" guns, or should I put a magnet on each side and have "ambidextrous" guns?

3. If I make "lefty" and "righty" guns, how should I distinguish between the two? Does anyone mark the magnet out with colored paint?

4. Are Paulson/Red Dog guns heavier than regular guns, thus requiring stronger magnets?

Anyway, if anyone has any other tips for novice magnet-users, please let me know! Thanks!

Maxwell
Shas'Saal

Re: Confused by magnets!

Post#2 » Aug 07 2017 06:58

1) Yes I would. It may not matter but better safe right? I did this by picking one point as the "master" and confirming everything off that.

2) Depending on the polarity this could get weird. I wish I'd done left/right because I wound up doing top mount. The fusions and other "tall" things look a bit silly now.

3) Trust me you won't lose track of them :)

4) Don't know this one.

Other than that my best advice is to take your time. And if you mis glue something you can usually pry it out.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Aug 07 2017 07:47

A user named "Maxwell" answers questions about magnets. *priceless* :D

Most crisis guns have 3 possible mount positions... left/right/center, the difference is only optical, I prefer only the central position, mounting the guns under arms(instead on outer sides of the arms) and I cut away the left/right mount blocks, but that's me. Homogenising polarity so each weapon can be mounted in every slot in every suit will just save time...

Don't know what type of resin paulson uses, but the difference in density would be well within 10% regardless of what type of urethane it is and they don't seem to be bigger than original ones.

Blindeye
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Aug 07 2017 09:03

I recently added some Paulson bits to my collection and the magnets I used for all my other Crisis bits worked perfectly for them as well. I use 1/8 by 1/16 magnets but they are quite strong.
Through Unity Devastation.
Blindeye Cadre Log

pilky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Aug 07 2017 09:04

1. Yes. All standard weapons have the same polarity on all my suits (from crisis up to Stormsurge). This just makes life so much easier in the long run as you know any weapon works with any model

2. In theory you can stick any weapon on the left arm, right arm, or on top of either jet pack. I usually do both arms and left jet pack, then do a mix of left, right, and bottom on all weapons

3. Magnets are easy enough to see so that should distinguish

4. Not sure

Other tips:
1. Check polarity 3+ times before gluing in. Then immediately check again afterwards
2. When drilling, start with a 1mm pilot hole. This will help make your bigger drill bit more accurate
3. Try to push the magnet in part of the way, then press the magnet hard against a flat surface (like a cutting mat on a table) to get it as flush as possible. You need to be fairly quick with this as you'll only have 10-30 seconds before the glue starts to try
4. Related to #3, make sure you drill your hole deep enough. Remember it's the depth of the edges that matter more than the middle
5. If in doubt, ask more question on here. I, and I'm sure many others, would be happy to share photos of how we magnetised any model, from a Gun Drone up to a Ta'unar suit :)

Paulson
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Aug 07 2017 09:56

4: the resin parts aren't any heavier than the GW plastics and they aren't quite as dense so they are probably a bit lighter but I haven't weighed them on an electronic scale as it's never come up before.

I've used 2x3mm round magnets on all my suits and they hold the weapons just fine regardless of if they are resin or plastic. The resin does drill easier so be careful not to put too much pressure on it or you could drill through it on accident. Once you've done it a few times and get the feel for it adding magnets is a snap Just take it slow and it'll be fine. There's also plenty of tutorial videos on you tube.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Aug 07 2017 10:01

Thanks everyone! Just tried my first test piece, using N52 magnets which I figured were some of the strongest available. The first thing I noticed was... just how floppy the weapons are. I haven't assembled the XV8 yet, but just handling the magnetized arm makes the weapon spin and sag. Honestly this makes me just want to use glue!

Should I use larger magnets? Currently I have 2mm x 1mm N52. Or should I double them up?

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Aug 07 2017 10:14

The best removable connection you can do it combine it with a pin... ie. 1mm thick rod, glued to one component, a hole in the other, if you can make that protrude ~2mm or more, you'll be able to hold the miniatures by the weapons...

Hungry_Bert
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Aug 07 2017 10:49

I used the same strength magnets on my suits. I ended up using 3x1 mm ones on the forearms and 2x1 mm ones on the elbow joints. It certainly stops the floppy gun issue *snigger* but doesn't look quite so neat. Bearing in mind all of mine are old XV8's.

Good luck! There are some great magnetising guides on here that I followed and I only got the polarity wrong on 1 magnet out of something like 48!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Aug 07 2017 10:52

Paulson wrote:4: the resin parts aren't any heavier than the GW plastics and they aren't quite as dense so they are probably a bit lighter but I haven't weighed them on an electronic scale as it's never come up before.

I've used 2x3mm round magnets on all my suits and they hold the weapons just fine regardless of if they are resin or plastic. The resin does drill easier so be careful not to put too much pressure on it or you could drill through it on accident. Once you've done it a few times and get the feel for it adding magnets is a snap Just take it slow and it'll be fine. There's also plenty of tutorial videos on you tube.

Thanks! I've been thinking about using 3mm instead of my current 2mm because of the spinning issue. Do the 3mm magnets spin much? Also, is the 2mm thickness important, or would 1mm thickness work fine too?

Thanks again!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#11 » Aug 07 2017 10:54

Hungry_Bert wrote:I used the same strength magnets on my suits. I ended up using 3x1 mm ones on the forearms and 2x1 mm ones on the elbow joints. It certainly stops the floppy gun issue *snigger* but doesn't look quite so neat. Bearing in mind all of mine are old XV8's.

Good luck! There are some great magnetising guides on here that I followed and I only got the polarity wrong on 1 magnet out of something like 48!

Cool, that's what I was thinking about! So, the 3x1mm magnets worked for you?

Paulson
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#12 » Aug 07 2017 09:32

The 1mm thick magnets I find to be on the weak side, which is why I use the 3x2 sized ones. (Rather than the 3x1)

You can double them up which will help increase the grip a bit but it may not bee quite as strong as just using a thicker magnet. While they can be pretty strong for their size they aren't a replacement for glue. Even when it's properly magnetized parts will still move or spin if you bump them and you won't want to pick up a model by it's weapon. However it shouldn't be floppy and spin due to it's own weight, if that's happening it means the magnets are too undersized.

Magnet strength can also vary a bit depending on who makes it. Most are super cheap made in china and have no brand name and usually they are about the same but sometimes you can get a cruddy batch that don't seem to hold as well. It's pretty uncommon but it can happen I've also had batches of magnets arrive where the outer chrome layer is damaged and flaking off on some of them which makes a huge mess and they don't work as well.

I'd try using the larger 3x2mm ones and see if that helps. For Riptides I use a 5mm sized one as it offers way more grip but unfortunately those are too big for crisis suits.

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Aug 07 2017 11:39

Buy a box of tiny nails. Cut the head off the nail. Crazy glue it to the crisis suit. Buy a magnet. Drill a hole in the weapon glue magnet with strongest glue you can find. Done. :)

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#14 » Aug 08 2017 12:17

[WIP] Tutorial - Magnetisation

Although some of the photos need updating due to the photobucket changes, this provides a background to the various magnet types, mounting options and links to other members magnetisation guides.

Hungry_Bert
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Aug 08 2017 05:51

Arka0415 wrote:
Hungry_Bert wrote:I used the same strength magnets on my suits. I ended up using 3x1 mm ones on the forearms and 2x1 mm ones on the elbow joints. It certainly stops the floppy gun issue *snigger* but doesn't look quite so neat. Bearing in mind all of mine are old XV8's.

Cool, that's what I was thinking about! So, the 3x1mm magnets worked for you?

Yeah, but as I said, I also use 2x1mm ones to stabalise.

You're probably better off listwning to someone significantly more experienced, like Paulson, than me, I've only ever done 6 XV8's :)

pilky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#16 » Aug 08 2017 09:00

I use 3mm x 1mm as my standard. One in the weapon, one on the suit. Seems to hold just fine for me (think they're only N40). They will spin if you touch the weapon but otherwise they hold fine. I would also say: always use magnet on magnet connection wherever possible, they will be much stronger than any magnet-metal connections

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Aug 08 2017 09:16

N52 should definitely be enough unless you want to magnetize something really heavy or long (center of gravity being far away from the magnets).

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#18 » Aug 08 2017 09:18

Hungry_Bert wrote:Yeah, but as I said, I also use 2x1mm ones to stabalise.

Can you clarify what you mean by this? I don't know too much about magnets. Are you stabilizing the gun, or something else?

Return to “Modelling”