Is it worth magnetizing everything?

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Tauguy29765
Shas

Is it worth magnetizing everything?

Post#1 » Aug 11 2017 06:40

I can't find a thread for this particular subject, so I tried making a new one.

To what extent should I magnetize my models? Should I only magnetize the most versatile models or should I go so far as to magnetize my Pathfinders and Fire Warriors?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks! :)
Tau'va!

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Is it worth magnetizing everything?

Post#2 » Aug 11 2017 06:41

Always depends on how much efford you want to put into it.
though I'd say it's definitely worth to magnetize all the Suits the size of Crisis and upwards.

pilky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Aug 11 2017 07:24

I magnetise all my crisis suits, riptides, stormsurge, ghostkeels for swapping weapons. I also magnetise anything that uses a flying base (so vehicles and drones) as they're far easier to deal with than the GW pins. This is mostly for 2 reasons:

1. It makes it easier to use the models (both painting and playing)
2. It's just fun to do, much like kit bashing or basing or other modelling tasks :D

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Aug 11 2017 07:49

I actually have magnetized my Fire Warriors, so let me just share what I have ran into with that.

First off, I tend to swap back and forth between using them with Blasters or Pulse Rifles. I have yet to use the carbines. They are slightly harder to physically handle on the board since the right arm moves or will slip off if not handled right. Building them this way, with the right drill, is actually really easy since there is a depression in the right arm already. So you only need to drill the body side.

From a list building perspective, I am doing about 20 Fire Warriors this way since I am only expecting using about 20 breachers at most in any of my builds. The rest I have built as just Strike Teams since I use those frequently.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Aug 11 2017 09:19

pilky wrote:1. It makes it easier to use the models (both painting and playing)
2. It's just fun to do, much like kit bashing or basing or other modelling tasks :D

These reasons are as good as any! Magnetizing is useful, fun, competitive, and aesthetic. What else could you ask for? :D

Tauguy29765
Shas

Post#6 » Aug 14 2017 03:05

Thanks for the feedback! Which magnets do you use for which models?
Tau'va!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Aug 14 2017 03:43

Tauguy29765 wrote:Thanks for the feedback! Which magnets do you use for which models?

Go big. Right now I'm experimenting between using 3x1mm magnets and 3x2mm magnets. 2mm diameter magnets are too weak, while 4mm magnets are too large to fit in the arms of an XV8.

Return to “Modelling”