SLA printed drones & CIB

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Draco023
Shas'Saal

SLA printed drones & CIB

Post#1 » Aug 18 2017 03:02

By request, here are the SLA printed gun drones I made. The initial file I found in the sketch up 3D warehouse. Not sure how to do a direct link, but if you search for " a warhammer 40k battle" you'll see it. I want to be sure and give credit where it is to, so full props to them for the initial work. They weren't designed to be printed though, so I reworked them extensively. Eliminated some internal structures and reversed the faces as needed for structure. Added a hole for the flying stand, buffed up the gun supports and re-scaled the carbines and antenna to ensure they'd print, added some surface details to the underside of the dome and the iconic T'au line work to the flat planes and top of the dome. Then scaled the whole thing, I think the initial work was about 3 feet across, so life sized perhaps?
Here are the draft images from sketch up

And the prints on the mid level resolution from the Form 2 printer. My first drafts were these clear ones, my moderately painted guys for scale. ( the beefing up of the antenna was done due to this failure as well as increasing the depth of the details)

And since my camera wouldn't focus on the clear well, one with my warrior in the back for contrast.

For the CIB I took off the carbine, trimmed and rotated it, added a stock then some additional details. This is the first draft, I'm sure I'll add more details once I finish the print ( in about 3 hours, with a new drone as well)

I'll add a mounting hole for magnets once I see how it lines up, and probably change from the dual barrel of the carbine to a single bore. I really enjoy the FW iridium armor xv8 models, with the under slung weapon mounts, so I'll do a version to fit them as well.

I'm more than open to any design suggestions.

Draco023
Shas'Saal

Re: SLA printed drones & CIB

Post#2 » Aug 18 2017 05:07

Fresh off the printer!

Maxwell
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Aug 18 2017 05:18

Very nice. What printer do you have?

1ofmany
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Aug 18 2017 05:20

Nice. Form2 or formlab2 printer?

Thanks

Draco023
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Aug 18 2017 05:34

Formlab 2, so easy to use!

1ofmany
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Aug 18 2017 05:37

Yep very nice got one at work :)

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#7 » Aug 18 2017 07:15

Nice, but i don't see the point of printing drones (maybe because I am a veteran collector who has 20-ish old gun drones on their small sprues)
The CIB is nice, but it maybe miss the "cyclic" without a rotary part. As it stands it is more like a triple barrel shotgun than a minigun.
The models seems also to have low details. Is that a choice based on the limits of the printer?

Draco023
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Aug 18 2017 11:03

Kael'yn wrote:Nice, but i don't see the point of printing drones (maybe because I am a veteran collector who has 20-ish old gun drones on their small sprues)
The CIB is nice, but it maybe miss the "cyclic" without a rotary part. As it stands it is more like a triple barrel shotgun than a minigun.
The models seems also to have low details. Is that a choice based on the limits of the printer?

Mostly because with the new edition I need more than I had anyway. And to see if I could.

I never really got the rotation from the cib model compared to the burst cannon. Since it doesn't look to cycle a new round from a common magazine/ belt, I picture it cycling through each barrel in turn with both barrels firing on overcharge. But that's just my head cannon.

Printing at the pro-sumer level won't have the level of detail that injection molding has, but the simplified design is just me not putting as much detail in compared to the sculptors.

Edit for spelling

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Aug 19 2017 09:08

What do you calculate your cost of material of print is for either the drone or CIB?

Draco023
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Aug 20 2017 01:45

The material cost is very low. It took 4 cc of resin and a liter is only $150 so about 60 cents.

Return to “Modelling”