Kroot Cavalry (suggestions appreciated)

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
TheV'ole
Shas'Saal

Kroot Cavalry (suggestions appreciated)

Post#1 » Sep 14 2017 05:58

So recently I've been thinking about additional units for my T'au army, and I absolutely adore the kroot. (In fact I think I put more effort into painting my krootox than my Stormsurge :P).

For quite a while I've been in love with the idea of kroot cavalry, but the gnarloc (and greater variety) riders don't really do it for me. In my head I picture a line of kroot charging out of a forest with lances or pointy sticks and engaging the enemy gloriously and foolishly in combat (which has the added addition of being a distraction for the aforementioned Stormsurge!)

I just stumbled upon a product by Gamezone called the "Dark Knight on Predator" which really hit home with me, and is extremely cheap for such a model (a mere €15 per model). The trouble is they are metal, and apparently have a few issues (such as cast disalignment, bending in the larger sections, and holes) which I really have no experience at all with. Ideally I'd like to replace the knight on top with a kroot that I can armour up (keeping the weapon) and add some details to make the model look more kroot-ish.

Any idea, tips or suggestions for my first metal project would be most helpful! :D

Thanks in advance,
TheV'ole
We got the pow pow and the shooty shooty. :fear:

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Re: Kroot Cavalry (suggestions appreciated)

Post#2 » Sep 14 2017 10:36

You could use these Drakespawn Knights. 5 mounts and riders for £20 RRP but you will be able to get them cheaper and you can sell the riders on eBay.

You will have to modify the Kroot legs to a riding pose but that should not be a massive problem.

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Sep 14 2017 11:51

Try a google image search for kroot cold one riders. This was a conversion I stumbled on a few years ago, but never got round to making; it seems exactly what you're thinking of!

TheV'ole
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Sep 14 2017 12:14

Wow, they are really perfect! (And so much cheaper!) Will definitely be picking some of these up.

Might still get a metal one for a fully grown mount (or larger species), so any tips in case I go that way?

Thanks for the fast reply guys!
TheV'ole
We got the pow pow and the shooty shooty. :fear:

Return to “Modelling”